Seatclamp orientation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frostorama

by frostorama

Question for other Aethos owners. On the Specialized website etc the seatclamp bolt is facing the rear of the bike. I also run my Aethos with Tune seatclamp with the bolt at the rear. However I see a lot of Aethos builds with the bolt towards the front over the top tube.

Is there a good reason to deviate from the way Specialized have it? From an aesthetic point of view I think having the clamp bolt at the front looks wrong?

Thoughts?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

It doesn't matter which orientation you have it, front- or rear-facing.

Aethos is built on the philosophy of no proprietary parts and the round standard seat tube design allows for whichever position.

I feel like rear-facing is the way to go on a road bike, it keeps the bolt and threads out of the way of sweat and drink spills. - If you ride on dirt and gravel, front facing might make more sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Back over a decade ago when carbon seatposts first appeared an immediate problem was the frames then only had a single slot in the back of the seat tube and combined with the pinching action from the slotted portion of the seat clamp put a lot of concentrated force on the rear of the carbon posts

so what people did as a workaround was flipped the clamp around so that you had some of the high pinch forces from the clamp focused against a solid part (solid front) of the seat tube. .

now a lot of frames have two, three or four slots where the clamp goes to better distribute forces and/or using clamps with a built in offset to better distributes the forces

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

frostorama wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:05 pm
Question for other Aethos owners. On the Specialized website etc the seatclamp bolt is facing the rear of the bike. I also run my Aethos with Tune seatclamp with the bolt at the rear. However I see a lot of Aethos builds with the bolt towards the front over the top tube.

Is there a good reason to deviate from the way Specialized have it? From an aesthetic point of view I think having the clamp bolt at the front looks wrong?

Thoughts?
My frame has one slot forward (not Specialized), i also mount the clamp bolt forward.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.