crown race adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I am considering a Ritchey fork for my bike but it has 45 integrated crown race.
My FSA lower MR122 bearing only has 36 x 45 degrees 41mm x 30.15mm x 6.5mm to be exact. I could find a bearing 45 x 45 but it's a bit of a unicorn part because of the 41mm bearing size, but and can be ordered from China.

They do make an adapter to adapt the 45 to 36. Just wondering if it is an OK idea or will there be some compromise installing this part. Besides raising the crown to axle by 4mm.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/36-de ... nture-fork

Will this not be all that different from then pressing a crown race but an extra one on top now? Also aestheticly it doesn't seem like that good either. I'll be riding in the rain so an extra gap to trap dirt does not sound appealing

It's not a cheap project so I am not sure to just abandon this route and get another brand.

Should I get the unicorn bearing hoping it will work or go with the adapter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Etienne

by Etienne

Hi, take a look at Sos hanger ... they have all sort of headset bearings, you should be able to find one with the correct od/id, height and 45° on both sides to fit your fork.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

If anyone can look it over and tell me if it will work or not?

fork is non tapered.

I found the bearing that is same as stock 36 degree but with a 45 degree inner bevel. 6.5mm tall, also availble in 7 mm tall. I plan on getting both because changing the angle of the crown race may make the gap change?
The crown diameter is 47mm so it's a bit bigger than the bearing.

also have a diagram of the original headset, the lower 2 pieces will be replaced with the fork and 45 degree bearing.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61E ... L1500_.jpg
Attachments
bearing.png
fork.png

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Here is a couple of pictures I found of similar bearing (41-42mm O.D.) sitting on a Ritchey fork with this integerated crown design.

Mine is IS headset, no cups, but these bearings are similar to mine.
The I.D. of the bearing is 30.15mm and the steerer is about 28.6, so that should mean the bearing sits pretty high on this crown like the pictures and the fork will show quite a gap (previous poster here said 2mm between his IS headset headtube and fork). Besides the cosmetics it is all going to work together?

I don't understand why they make the crown so high and wide, the crown diameter max is 47mm. which I think these pictures only show a even smaller version of the crown.

I may go with the Whisky CX fork where you do install your own crown race all the way flush to the bottom and the fork will have a more smaller gap to the headtube similar to the OEM fork. All I would need is a new crown race for my existing headset.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 11.26.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 11.27.47 AM.png

Karvalo

by Karvalo

PoorCyclist wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:38 pm
I may go with the Whisky CX fork where you do install your own crown race all the way flush to the bottom and the fork will have a more smaller gap to the headtube similar to the OEM fork.
You know the bearing will always sit proud of the fork crown whether it has an integrated or installed crown race, right? That's what the crown race is for...

robbosmans

by robbosmans

It seems like you are overthinking it, just go to you lbs they should have a whole box with different headset bearings, take the frame too

MikeD

by MikeD

Have you tried to contact Ritchey about the issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Yes I was able to talk to someone today.. was a long weekend so had a lot of time to lament over the subject.
The person assure me as long as the bevel angle is match it would be ok, so I ordered all the parts.