SRAM hydraulic vs mech hood shape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I'm running 1x and I am considering upgrade left lever to SRAM force CX1 or HRD hydraulic. (with a new fork)
Still have mechanical on the right side, 10 speed red.

In the past for mechanical, I have mixed left and right groups apex force red, beside decal and lever material, the shape are the exactly the same.

Can you tell me if the hydraulic hood and levers will feel similar to the with right side which will remain mechanical? Or is it going to just feel too different to notice?

RobJ

by RobJ

PoorCyclist wrote:I'm running 1x and I am considering upgrade left lever to SRAM force CX1 or HRD hydraulic. (with a new fork)
Still have mechanical on the right side, 10 speed red.

In the past for mechanical, I have mixed left and right groups apex force red, beside decal and lever material, the shape are the exactly the same.

Can you tell me if the hydraulic hood and levers will feel similar to the with right side which will remain mechanical? Or is it going to just feel too different to notice?
I personally feel they are too far different to run together. The SRAM hydro lever design is a bad one in function and aesthetics. For AXS I have always run rim brake levers with mechanical disc brakes for this reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

I don't have experience with your generation of SRAM levers but for AXS, hydraulic is a lot chunkier than rim

Mesi

by Mesi

I am running both 11s Hydro and Rim Double taps.

IMO they feel far too different to run on one handlebar. Also, the Hydros have a huge "Horn" in the front which is home to the hydraulic cylinder.

As a side question: Are the shifting mechanics interchangeable between hydro and rim?

js

by js

I've gone 1x on a few sets and when re-2x'ing a cable-braking front shifter, I recognized that the hydraulic double-tap mechanism is not the same as the one for cable-braking bodies. They are clocked slightly different, so I needed the parts from another cable-braking shifter to complete the job.

I don't know for sure about the rear shifter, but I would assume the same - that it is not compatible.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Thanks I think I will keep the existing cable lever and go with a cable actuated hydraulic brake like TRP HY Road.

Not perfect but seems like a easy low maintenance option.

RobJ

by RobJ

PoorCyclist wrote:Thanks I think I will keep the existing cable lever and go with a cable actuated hydraulic brake like TRP HY Road.

Not perfect but seems like a easy low maintenance option.
Give the Juin Tech or Yokozuna’s a shot over the TRP’s. A little pricier but much better. They both have 2 piston and 4 piston models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Don't go for the TRP. They're designed for old Shimano lever pulls and need something like the JJBP short pull arm conversion to work properly with your SRAM levers. Even then with all that fiddling the performance is still nowhere near the Juins.

goatalope

by goatalope

I don't know what these people are talking about. Ergonomics of Sram mechanical cable brakes and sram mechanical hydro brakes is nearly identical (if not totally identical). Hydro has a big nub, but not like people typically hold that part of the lever. Aesthetics might looks off, but ergonomics would not be a problem.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I totally forgot about the pull ratios SRAM vs Shimano, the literature just say something like use with road levers.

Does the Juin Tech GT-F match for SRAM?

My riding style is that I don't need brake force to throw me over the bars but I only ever use one finger to pull the lever from the drops. I don't like lever to bottom out either (who does)

nickf

by nickf

I just went from juin tech F1 back to the trp spyres with disco brakes copper pads on my red mechanical levers. I gotta say the lever pull just feels better with the spyres and the pads have excellent initial bite. The juin tech are good but after switching back I genuinely prefer the feel of the fully mechanical setup.

DaveS

by DaveS

The Juin-Tech GT calipers are significantly more powerful and work great with sram levers. It works with 180mm rotors. I posted the trick to do that.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=167512&p=1717125&hi ... h#p1717125

RobJ

by RobJ

Multi post
Last edited by RobJ on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobJ

by RobJ

Dupe
Last edited by RobJ on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobJ

by RobJ

goatalope wrote:I don't know what these people are talking about. Ergonomics of Sram mechanical cable brakes and sram mechanical hydro brakes is nearly identical (if not totally identical). Hydro has a big nub, but not like people typically hold that part of the lever. Aesthetics might looks off, but ergonomics would not be a problem.
I would disagree fully. This isn’t the best picture but shows the much larger “horn” on the hydro. Plus the steep angle of incline on the horn. Some difference in the body too. The body is wider too. I personally rode on the horns a fair amount, sometimes when climbing or a hard flat TT type effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com