Could my Time xpresso 10 pedals (not cleats ) be worn?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tmr5555

by tmr5555

I have two sets of time xpresso 10 pedals on my bikes, over time they have been used with all different kinds of cleats (no float-float , etc…)
Usually I replace cleats when they start to unclip when I rock my foot sideways while clipped in, the cleat that is on the “foot that gets unclipped at lights” lasts half as much as the other and as we know time cleats are made of cheese so they aren’t the most durable, and I may be guilty of running the odd cleat for too long. Long story short, last time I changed the cleats they begun unclipping immediately when doing the “sideways twist test”, an unclip during a crit has been the tipping point, is the pedal itself worn out?
Did any of you experience anything similar, is there a remedy or should they be binned?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barbaar

by barbaar

You may need to increase the spring tension.

See https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... manual.pdf

Page 26
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

ipaul

by ipaul

I've seen something similar to what you are describing on my 10's and 12's. Has not impacted retention but it's some serious wear after a ew months of use. You can see in photo a large 1/2 moon on back plate with a smaller one starting on the right side.
Attachments
B3C663C8-0002-48F5-8BDA-D112E0A4C19A.jpeg
:P

Attermann

by Attermann

It's possibly the plate on the pedal that needs changing, if there is two dips on the platform, it can make the pedal feel wonky.

AJS914

by AJS914

My xpresso pedals felt a little loose though they still worked fine. I bought a pair of XPro pedals and they felt like a bike improvement. The only downside is that the XPro doesn't naturally hang down at rest. The bearing seal sticktion is enough that the pedals won't turn unless clipped in.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I had Xpresso 12's and they complelety died after 5 years or about 30,000 miles and 48,000 km. During that time I replaced the bearings twice. The contact plate twice. Many cleats and finally the carbon body broke on one. Replaced them with Look Carbon blades. The issue is I would have to flip them with my foot to engage my shoe with the pedal. Went to Shimano 9100 pedals and for years its been a good relationship. Slight weight penalty yet buttery smooth bearings, They flip up to engage my shoe into the pedal and long cleat life. Well worth the extra weight.Also very easy to release and enough float to make my body haapy. I have them on both my road bikes and they will stay unitl I wear them out, and that will be no time soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com