Enduro BRT-003 Pressfit BB86 Tool Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

I purchased the Enduro BRT-003 pressfit BB86 tool to remove the BB86 pressfit bottom bracket installed at my bike. The BB86 pressfit bottom bracket is Ceramicspeed BB86. I followed the video tutorial of the bottom bracket removal process but to my surprise only the bearing was being pushed out. The bottom bracket shell still remains in the bike frame. The video tutorial shows that the bottom bracket shell and the bearing are being pushed out together. I then measured the opening of the BRT-007 tool cup to the bottom bracket shell diameter and the bottom bracket shell diameter is larger than the opening of the BRT-007 tool cup, which explains why the botttom bracket shell is not being pushed out together as the BRT-007 tool cup which has smaller diameter is pressing against it. Is this issue only specific to Ceramicspeed bottom bracket? Is there anywhere I can purchase a new bottom bracket shell only since the bearing is still pretty much in tact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

You usually only replace the bearings in high end bottom brackets.

survivor

by survivor

Sammutd88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 am
You usually only replace the bearings in high end bottom brackets.
I wanted to transfer the bottom bracket from one bike to the other.

kode54

by kode54

You need to buy a drift to remove the BB cups.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

survivor

by survivor

kode54 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:15 pm
You need to buy a drift to remove the BB cups.
Like the Park Tool BBT-90.3?

https://www.parktool.com/product/press- ... %20Bracket

ms6073

by ms6073

survivor wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:57 pm
I wanted to transfer the bottom bracket from one bike to the other.
The collet that you used tp press out the bearings can also be used to press out the cups.

1. Remove both bearings from the borrom bracket cups
2. Remove the o-ring from the collet
3. Insert each half of the collet through the shell into the back side of the CeramicSpeed bottom bracket cup (this will take some fiddling :lol:).
4. Insert the Enduro drift into the back side of the collet
5. Insert the threaded shaft through the collet and thread into the receiver cup until the receiver is flush with face of frame
6. Carefully continue threading the tool until the bearing cup is loose enough to remove by hand.
7. Repeat for the opposite bearing cup.

Note that if you press the bearing cup to far into the Enduro reciever cup, the flange of the bearing cup may/will get jamed which can damage the flange.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

survivor

by survivor

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:05 pm
Note that if you press the bearing cup to far into the Enduro reciever cup, the flange of the bearing cup may/will get jamed which can damage the flange.

That was what happened unfortunately. I damaged the flange of the bottom bracket cup in the process of removal. I just assumed that the Enduro receiver cup is meant to capture the bottom bracket cup. I was so wrong. Any idea where I can get a replacement bottom bracket cup? I looked through Ceramicspeed webpage and they don't seem to sell them as spare part. The bearings are still good so it would seem like a waste to just buy another new bottom bracket. Any advise?

kode54

by kode54

Safest and least damaging is to get a drift in the size that you need...you can get individual ones from Wheels Mfg or even from eBay...or, like ms6073 said, you can use the collet. If you use the collet, you probably need to 'spread' the collet wider to fit within the flange of the cups (the edges that seats the bearings)...like wrap a few turns of electrical tape on the collet spreader. Then you can extract the cups out.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

survivor

by survivor

kode54 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 pm
Safest and least damaging is to get a drift in the size that you need...you can get individual ones from Wheels Mfg or even from eBay...or, like ms6073 said, you can use the collet. If you use the collet, you probably need to 'spread' the collet wider to fit within the flange of the cups (the edges that seats the bearings)...like wrap a few turns of electrical tape on the collet spreader. Then you can extract the cups out.
Thanks. I will look into this. I'm just curious how below video from Enduro is able to remove the BB86 completely with the BRT-003 tool.

https://youtu.be/j7ZwdLRKPd8

kode54

by kode54

The collet expands to the edges of the bearing race with the collet spreader when inserted. Then the larger cup sits outside of the BB and with the extractor bolt, you tighten it and it extracts the bearing out of the BB shell. if you want to remove the cups...you need to be a little creative so the collet or drift contacts the edge of the BB cup shell. It'll extract the BB cups one at a time.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ms6073

by ms6073

survivor wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:00 pm
Thanks. I will look into this. I'm just curious how below video from Enduro is able to remove the BB86 completely with the BRT-003 tool.

https://youtu.be/j7ZwdLRKPd8
The test stand used in the video is alloy and is well lubed since it has been used repeatedly in videos as well as trade shows like Eurobike and such, where as the bottom bracket shell of your bike has higher tolerances and you are not inserting/removing the bottom bracket on a frequent basis. If your bottom bracket came out as easily as in the video, you would probably have issues such as creaking due to the loose tolerances.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

survivor

by survivor

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 pm
The test stand used in the video is alloy and is well lubed since it has been used repeatedly in videos as well as trade shows like Eurobike and such, where as the bottom bracket shell of your bike has higher tolerances and you are not inserting/removing the bottom bracket on a frequent basis. If your bottom bracket came out as easily as in the video, you would probably have issues such as creaking due to the loose tolerances.
I understand that. I expect the bottom bracket on my bike would be harder to remove. But what I didn't expect is that the Enduro BRT-003 tool receiving cup is not big enough to receive the BB cup/shell. See below pictures. The Ceramicspeed BB86 cup is 44.99mm in diameter while the Enduro BRT-003 tool receiving cup opening diameter is only 44.19mm. As a result when I tried to press the BB cup from the frame, the Enduro BRT-003 tool receiving cup is pressing against the BB cup flange to the frame.

kode54

by kode54

This is where you need to be creative. You can use any open round spacer like PVC pipe that is at least 1" or thereabouts. use that plus the receiving cup to extract the BB cup.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

survivor

by survivor

kode54 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:02 pm
This is where you need to be creative. You can use any open round spacer like PVC pipe that is at least 1" or thereabouts. use that plus the receiving cup to extract the BB cup.
Yup. Now that I'm aware of this, that's what I would do next time. Initially I just assumed the BRT-003 receiving cup would take the BB cup. It is an expensive lesson learned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Also, you can contact Enduro...I have a new receiving cup that actual fits over the CeramicSpeed bottom bracket cups. They may have updated their cups to accommodate a wider range of bottom brackets.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc