Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

Does wide fit comes with all colors or black only again?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

For anybody that have worn the SW7 and now the Torch, are they worth the extra $100? I ordered the SW7 on sale, but curious if people think the Torch are worth the $100 premium.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

bob78h wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:48 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:36 pm
Fliping the cleat nuts is a right pain on these aswell.
Curious why you need to 'flip' the cleat 'nuts'? Not disagreeing as I have not pulled back the flap that hides the plate that the cleat bolts thread into , but I would think it is symetrical so no difference if it is rotated 180 degrees.
The cleat nuts are assymetrical, you can rotate them 180 degrees to get a more rearward position.
Yeah…but nearly impossible to get them out. I had to remove one since a bolt got seized in.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

LanceLegstrong wrote:For anybody that have worn the SW7 and now the Torch, are they worth the extra $100? I ordered the SW7 on sale, but curious if people think the Torch are worth the $100 premium.
I think one of the major advantages of the torch is the reposition of the top boa cable guide (dig into my foot when flexing up) and the lowered outer side (dig into my ankle bone)
If you don’t have these issues I might say no. I also prefer the SW7 visually. I don’t know, I think the front portion of the torch with the two slightly patterns and the holes all over looks a bit weird.

ms6073

by ms6073

bob78h wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:22 am
The cleat nuts are assymetrical, you can rotate them 180 degrees to get a more rearward position.
Thanks, I was not aware of that as I had always assumed the slots dictacted the aft limit and the nuts could be moved to full aft limit of the slot.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:59 pm
ToileySiphon wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:59 pm
Thanks for the update! Do you think it would be an issue with the shoe if you tried to move the cleats as far back as possible?
I will let you be the judge of that. For reference, the SP adapter for the cleat in the image below is mounted nearly all the way forward, so I suspect that if the adapter plate where moved full aft, there would be some over hang of the base plate.

That looks really clean, but i am like two thirds back, so the adapters will likely float to some extent.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RadB

by RadB

tommyboyo wrote:
Without seeing another way, I made a small cut the lower inner sole in order to access them, on both pairs. Pita design.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

RadB wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:05 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Without seeing another way, I made a small cut the lower inner sole in order to access them, on both pairs. Pita design.
Yeah, that part is fine.

But I remove the tape which is all scrunched up and then getting all three to sit flush in the the grooves and then stay there whilst manoeuvring the shoes to add the cleats and tighten the bolts needed a considerable amount of dexterity.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

bob78h wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:22 am
ms6073 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:48 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Curious why you need to 'flip' the cleat 'nuts'? Not disagreeing as I have not pulled back the flap that hides the plate that the cleat bolts thread into , but I would think it is symetrical so no difference if it is rotated 180 degrees.
I found that placing pressure using one hand inside the shoe against the cleat nuts keeps them in place well enough to torque the bolt to them, and then releasing pressure using the bolt to rotate the nuts into the desired position. Rinse and repeat for install. I will say, even with that trick, they're still a real pain to set up. Small price to pay in the big picture, as this isn't a frequent operation.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

I have to say, the ventiliation with these is next level bad. Bont level bad for me. Just over 20c in the UK today and my feet were hot, hot, hot.

I don't know what they were thinking? I guess there will be a new Vent soon enough and they need a selling point.

A lot to like about the first 2/3s of the shoe (for my foot shape), but then the front 3rd is a bit of a dud (for my foot shape). Very similar to the RC902, although the toebox is nothing like as bad as that monstrosity (for my foot shape).
Last edited by tommyboyo on Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

tommyboyo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:09 pm
I have to say, the ventiliation with these is next level bad. Bont level bad for me. Just over 20c in the UK today and my feet were hot, hot, hot.

I don't know what they were thinking? I guess there will be a new Vent soon enough and they need a selling point.

A lot to like about the first 2/3s of the shoe (for my foot shape), but then the front 3rd is a bit of a dud (for my foot shape). Very similar to the RC902, although the toebox is nothing like as bad as that monstroity (for my foot shape).
Actually a benefit for me. I have a pair of knit upper Giros that are great in the summer, but my feet freeze in any temp under 60F. Like, go numb. Even with shoe covers, it gets cold enough that I can't stay warm. So I was looking for a shoe that will keep my feet a little warmer in colder temps. Won't be a summer shoe though.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

BikeTyson wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:31 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:09 pm

A lot to like about the first 2/3s of the shoe (for my foot shape), but then the front 3rd is a bit of a dud (for my foot shape). Very similar to the RC902, although the toebox is nothing like as bad as that monstroity (for my foot shape).
Actually a benefit for me. I have a pair of knit upper Giros that are great in the summer, but my feet freeze in any temp under 60F. Like, go numb. Even with shoe covers, it gets cold enough that I can't stay warm. So I was looking for a shoe that will keep my feet a little warmer in colder temps. Won't be a summer shoe though.
Yeah, should be great for the colder days in that regard.

AW84

by AW84

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:32 am
For anybody that have worn the SW7 and now the Torch, are they worth the extra $100? I ordered the SW7 on sale, but curious if people think the Torch are worth the $100 premium.
Can't speak to the Torch, but I went for the SW7 on sale. They look better, the toe box is taller, sounds like the material may be more durable and easier to keep clean, better ventilation based on reviews, and if the top Boa fails, you don't have to disassemble it to get it out of the tongue straps. At $100 less, my mind was made up. Coming from the SW6, the 7 is very comfortable, and more than wide enough.

bob78h

by bob78h

jlok wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:55 am
Does wide fit comes with all colors or black only again?
Was hoping there would be more colors this time, but from the website it looks like black only for narrow/wide fit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bob78h

by bob78h

AW84 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:26 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:32 am
Can't speak to the Torch, but I went for the SW7 on sale. They look better, the toe box is taller, sounds like the material may be more durable and easier to keep clean, better ventilation based on reviews, and if the top Boa fails, you don't have to disassemble it to get it out of the tongue straps. At $100 less, my mind was made up. Coming from the SW6, the 7 is very comfortable, and more than wide enough.
I have both, its mainly fit dependent. I have a wide forefoot/square toe shape so I love the extra width/new shape of the Torch. However, the forefoot is a little too low volume and pinches my big toe so I'm considering going up half a size (but then worried about heel slip). The SW7 was a little too narrow/tapered in the forefoot and I'd get numbness after a few hours. SW7 has better heel hold which I like, but that was a problem area for many.

If Specialized made the toebox a little taller in the Torch (and maybe the heel a little tighter) it would be the perfect shoe for me.