Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Swannie wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 am
Is team version already available somewhere?
September I read on Bikeradar (with info direct from Specialized), around the Road World Champs

kode54

by kode54

bob78h wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:49 am
kode54 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:53 pm
Did 2 rides with the SW Torch. Some comments on these. Heel cup is less aggressive and since I'm used to the SW7 narrow heel cup, it initially felt loose and wide open. Second ride in...got more used to the wide heel cup, although the SW7 heel cup didn't bother me, in fact I still prefer it over the SW Torch. As others have said, velcro strap deletion is great...I never adjust the SW7 strap and the velcro always got dirty. Not sure what you call the outer bone (small toe side) but that's still a bit tight even with the 6mm wider toe box. Its possible that it will work its way out over time. Not sure right now. Speedplay cleat adapters went on with the same wedges as the SW7. No overhang and fits well to the bottom. Center tongue (if that's what you call it) is soft and doesn't dig into my foot as well as the outer ankle bone that hit the SW7. Comfy there.
I have almost the exact same impressions as you! I loved the SW7 heel cup. The Torch is adequate but not quite as good, I have to crank the BOAs tighter to get the heel locked in. The plus is that I can actually do this without any discomfort, the SW7 I had to leave the BOAs a couple clicks loose.

Also agree that they are tight on the outside of the foot (5th metatarsal head). I noticed there is stretchy material both the inside and outside of the foot. The area on the inside lines up perfectly with the 1st met head, but the outside stretchy area is too far towards the front so the 5th met head is being compressed by the stiff part of the shoe.

These are still miles more comfy overall than the SW7, just a couple of areas that aren't perfect for me. I'm hoping the outer foot will stretch out a little, if not, I may try a wide size.
Is that what you call the outside bone (metatarsal head)? Yeah. I wore it on a 5 hr ride...and noticed red areas on my foot and that was one of them. I have to do a longer ride on them, as my weekly rides are typically 2-4 hrs at best.

I do have to crank down the Boas like you to get the heel to not move much but still has issues of it popping upwards. Its just a niggle as the comfort of the Torch is much better overall with the exception of the metatarsal bone and the heel cup. I'm just wondering if i can get one of those shoe stretchers that includes a 'Mr. Potato Head' plugs to stretch areas of the foot for a better fit. I may try that and possibly heat the heel cup with a heat gun and clamp the heel area so that its narrower.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Hm yeah. That's why I've returned my pairs. I didn't think they were significantly more comfortable than my current pairs and I am also not competing right now so the money is better off in other things...

njleach

by njleach

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:55 pm
My 43.5 can't wait to try it

Beautiful! Have my 44.5's in white on backorder. What products are people using/recommending to keep their white shoes...white?

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Mister Proper Wondergum, at least that's the commercial name in Belgium.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

They are better on the 5th met head than the Ares, which I found a nicer all round shoe for comfort, but would make that area on both my feet cry.

The overall feel of these shoes is very good I have to say. Wasn't sold after a couple of rides, but keep finding myself putting them on again!

The sole is probably the best I have ever tried and I have been through pretty much every top end shoe out there. Feel a real attachment to the pedal. More buzzy than the Ares though, as they do not use the extra layer of black rubber like material that they seemed to introduce with the Ares and seemed to make a massive difference.

Extra width suits my foot, although I would even like a wider and deeper toe box (like the Ares) and more locked heel. The heel cup in definitely not as satisfying as in earlier models, where you feel glued in.

The lack of ventilation is a real head scratcher though. My feet have been a bit too hot quite a few times. I am going to buy a white pair when I can and drill some small pin prick holes into the toe area to improve it.

Personally, I hope they do a new Ares, which is entirely the same shoe, but with the wider profile of the Torch.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

njleach wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:

Beautiful! Have my 44.5's in white on backorder. What products are people using/recommending to keep their white shoes...white?
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

njleach wrote:
ome rodriguez wrote:

Magic eraser should work well

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

njleach wrote:
ome rodriguez wrote:

If they are the same material as the 7's just use soap and water occassionaly. Chemicals will discolor the palstic elements.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

I was tired to wait for the Sphyre rc9

Got mines

Soo far so good

Lots of room for the toes

But at the widest point of the foot, like before the little toe, its a bit tight, no pain for now, but felt tight after a 3h ride
PXL_20220618_223943074.jpg
Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

If the S Work Torch's are tight on you then you would have hated the RC9.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

About 500mi into my 44 Torches. Coming from wide 44 Lake 237s, these are a perfect transition, much better than the interim Suplest Edge+ Pros. Slight pressure on the right 5th metatarsal that I'm hoping can be worked out with insoles, but even if it isn't, I'm happier in these than the Lakes, which is a huge surprise.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

m3bas

by m3bas

Mine have had plenty of use, on road and on the trainer.
They are great, although doing some sprint efforts I noticed some heel slip which was remedied by tightening the BOAs- although this would be too tight for longer rides. No big deal, just tighten before a sprint.
I put my SPhyre 902 back on just out of interest and couldn't believe how tight on the toes they felt. For reference 43.5 in Specialized and 44 in Shimano, Shimano noticably longer so I'd obviously over-sized to get the width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:47 am
About 500mi into my 44 Torches. Coming from wide 44 Lake 237s, these are a perfect transition, much better than the interim Suplest Edge+ Pros. Slight pressure on the right 5th metatarsal that I'm hoping can be worked out with insoles, but even if it isn't, I'm happier in these than the Lakes, which is a huge surprise.
5th met pain can often be dealt with by insoles, or wedging. Unless the shoe is far too narrow.