Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

AW84 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:12 am
Couple questions on these:

1) Have heard the upper is very thin and stretchy. Do these seem potentially less durable long-term than the SW7? And does that stretchiness make them prone to wrinkling when you snug down the Boas day after day?

2) I have narrow feet. I'm a longtime SW6 wearer that has tried on the SW7 and those felt very roomy/wide to me. Would my feet be swimming in the Torch, to a detrimental level?
1) They wrinkle, yes.

2) Probably not much different from the 7s, maybe best to try before hand though.

kode54

by kode54

Doesn't wrinkle as much as...say, the Exos. Those wrinkled like crazy since the uppers were really thin. The new Torch is very similar to the SW7 upper. A cross between the Ares and SW7.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Ritsuke wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:00 pm
ToileySiphon wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:13 pm
ms6073 wrote:Ordered a white pair for the wife who rides Speedplay pedals, so it will be interesting to see how the new sole design works out.
Interested in that!
The new plate shape worries me a bit.
SG Maverick - team in Singapore - also rides them with Speedplay. I guess it's possible...

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeGaQsehaqf/
No issues with new plate shape. Towards the front...the SP adapter hangs over the edge slightly, but not enough to cause any issues.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Eterna7m wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:27 am
bob78h wrote:What size are people choosing for these compared to the SW7? I went with same size as my SW7 but am feeling some pinching on the corner/top of my big toe. I have wide/low volume feet but was generally fine with the SW7 aside from some numbness after several hours.

Its strange because the Torch is definitely wider in the ball of the foot and the toebox looks more square than the SW7, so I assumed lack of width would not be a problem. I'm wondering if this might be due to the plastic toe cap and lower volume in the toe area, and maybe I should try a half size up?
Yeah it’s not only lower at the midfoot but also at the very front.
See attached the difference between the torch and laces, I think the road 7s are similar in that regard Image

Both 43s. If you go longer you might sacrifice heel retention. I noticed this comparing 42,5 and 43.
Amazing that you can keep your Lace pair so clean! Unless they're right out of the box.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ms6073

by ms6073

ToileySiphon wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:59 pm
Thanks for the update! Do you think it would be an issue with the shoe if you tried to move the cleats as far back as possible?
I will let you be the judge of that. For reference, the SP adapter for the cleat in the image below is mounted nearly all the way forward, so I suspect that if the adapter plate where moved full aft, there would be some over hang of the base plate.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

kode54 wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:
bob78h wrote:What size are people choosing for these compared to the SW7? I went with same size as my SW7 but am feeling some pinching on the corner/top of my big toe. I have wide/low volume feet but was generally fine with the SW7 aside from some numbness after several hours.

Its strange because the Torch is definitely wider in the ball of the foot and the toebox looks more square than the SW7, so I assumed lack of width would not be a problem. I'm wondering if this might be due to the plastic toe cap and lower volume in the toe area, and maybe I should try a half size up?
See attached the difference between the torch and laces, I think the road 7s are similar in that regard Image

Both 43s. If you go longer you might sacrifice heel retention. I noticed this comparing 42,5 and 43.
Amazing that you can keep your Lace pair so clean! Unless they're right out of the box.
Haha they’re right out of the box. I’ll have to decide whether it’ll be the lace or the torch. Laces are also 130 eur cheaper..

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Fliping the cleat nuts is a right pain on these aswell.

bob78h

by bob78h

Eterna7m wrote:

See attached the difference between the torch and laces, I think the road 7s are similar in that regard

Yeah, I would be worried about heel retention going up a half size to 42.5. Comparing both shoes in 42, already I feel the heel retention is not quite as good as the SW7. On the other hand, I don't want to lose a toenail from the pressure on that area.

Its a real shame as overall I like these better than the SW7. If they hadn't made the toebox lower it would be perfect. I wonder if that area will stretch at all over time (but probably not since the toe cap is rigid plastic).

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

bob78h wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:31 pm
Eterna7m wrote:

See attached the difference between the torch and laces, I think the road 7s are similar in that regard

Yeah, I would be worried about heel retention going up a half size to 42.5. Comparing both shoes in 42, already I feel the heel retention is not quite as good as the SW7. On the other hand, I don't want to lose a toenail from the pressure on that area.

Its a real shame as overall I like these better than the SW7. If they hadn't made the toebox lower it would be perfect. I wonder if that area will stretch at all over time (but probably not since the toe cap is rigid plastic).
I agree it was a weird decision and not really inkeeping with the rest of the shoes design.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ordered the torch in same size as my previous models. I can echo the toe box has more room, and the ankle collar isn't as high but for my foot (which is taller in volume) it left the upper more tight and more 'wide' (between the two side panels, where the boa is tightening) than i'd like. They MIGHT be a tad 'shorter' in length than the old ones, but honestly not enough that i would size up .5 even. So im under the assumption they are still TTS.

i dont care for specialized insoles, as i use ones that i can adjust arch independent of side and mid foot button. Torch's look nice, contruction seems good, WHITE as can be which is nice. But i wont keep them. I dont prefer this new fit over the old ones.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Well first out door ride today with my Sworks Torch; i am really impressed - i am coming from the Torch 3.0s so a step up in shoe and certianly glad i paid the money.

Just a gentle cruise and i could really feel the differnce in the shoes climbing - i am 99kg so not the lightest! Only problem i did have was i over tightened them for a litle while and got numb toes, easilly sorted by loosening them again!

kode54

by kode54

Great! I still haven't mounted up the cleats. I will try them on first just to double check fit. Previous SW7 base plate was placed but not screwed in, so I know it'll work with the Speedplays.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Finally got my shipment today and was able to wear them around the house. Did a side by side test with my SW7s and had some thoughts. Torch are noticeably wider and therefore a little more comfortable for my foot but everybody is different. The toe box height is slightly lower as others have said but I don't notice it at all, it's not like it's pressing down on my foot. Maybe because of the added width I can splay my toes a bit more. And the upper material is way stretchier than the 7, which could be a plus or minus based on your preference. It'll be interesting to see how it does with long term use and wrinkling.

One thing that is noticeable to me is how they secure the foot. Not sure if others felt this, but the Torch feel like they spread the load better. What I mean by that is with the 7, I feel the tightness across the path of the wires. Whereas with the Torch, I don't feel any pressure areas and it feels like the whole upper is tightening down. Not to say the 7 is uncomfortable or creating hotspots, it just feels different.

Overall, not a huge difference compared to the SW7 in my eyes, but some minor improvements that make them more comfortable. Trying to decide now if I want black or white. The white look amazing but somebody mentioned the upper material is different and may not stay clean as easy.

ms6073

by ms6073

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:36 pm
Curious why you need to 'flip' the cleat 'nuts'? Not disagreeing as I have not pulled back the flap that hides the plate that the cleat bolts thread into , but I would think it is symetrical so no difference if it is rotated 180 degrees.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bob78h

by bob78h

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:48 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:36 pm
Curious why you need to 'flip' the cleat 'nuts'? Not disagreeing as I have not pulled back the flap that hides the plate that the cleat bolts thread into , but I would think it is symetrical so no difference if it is rotated 180 degrees.
The cleat nuts are assymetrical, you can rotate them 180 degrees to get a more rearward position.