Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:14 pm
Man, not a fan of the whole wider fit thing. Why change something so fundamental, rather than take the Lake approach and just have standard, wide and xtra wide models?
I've always wondered why Specialized seems to change the last around which they build their shoes so often. Have human feet changed so radically in the years since the S-Works 7 was launched to warrant the change in design? Have they changed much since Spec started making road shoes in the first place?

I've never owned Spec shoes but I recall that with every launch they seem to have changed the shape they design them around.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

card0s wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:54 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:22 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 am
card0s wrote:I'm wondering about the insole that comes with the shoes.
I haven't seen the insoles being mentioned anywhere. Not on their website nor in any of the reviews.
From your experience with previous S-Works shoes, is the insole ok? Or is it recommended to replace it?
I’ve seen reviews of people that keep the stock insole. I’d say if you have low arches they’re fine. Otherwise specialized themselves recommend either of their three body geometry insoles.
Stock insoles are wafers!

Much better swapping out for your insoles of choice.
Thanks for the input.
Using their sizing guide, they recommend their Blue Body Geometry insoles (medium arches).
Does anyone have feedback on them? Are there better alternatives?
If you have fairly normal feet and arches, then you will more than likely get on great with the blues.

Reds are also pretty easy to get along with, although less arch built in.

The greens are much more intrusive if you don't have high arches, but probably great for those that do.

Insoles are best recommend by a pro on inspection of your foot if you have any particular issues though.

Proper fitting insoles and insoles that actual work for your foot shape and structure can be game changers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 pm
card0s wrote:
tommyboyo wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 am

I’ve seen reviews of people that keep the stock insole. I’d say if you have low arches they’re fine. Otherwise specialized themselves recommend either of their three body geometry insoles.

Thanks for the input.
Using their sizing guide, they recommend their Blue Body Geometry insoles (medium arches).
If you have fairly normal feet and arches, then you will more than likely get on great with the blues.

The greens are much more intrusive if you don't have high arches, but probably great for those that do.

Insoles are best recommend by a pro on inspection of your foot if you have any particular issues though.

Proper fitting insoles and insoles that actual work for your foot shape and structure can be game changers.
Do most Specialized shops have a fitting/testing system to get the right color insoles?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

LanceLegstrong wrote:
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 pm
card0s wrote:
tommyboyo wrote:

Thanks for the input.

Do most Specialized shops have a fitting/testing system to get the right color insoles?
Just do their fitting guide with your wet foot and step on paper and take the corresponding insole. They’re 20 bucks. It’s not like they’re custom orthotics…

AFAIK the fitting thing at specialized retailers is for their custom retul insole…

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:52 pm
Man, not a fan of the whole wider fit thing. Why change something so fundamental, rather than take the Lake approach and just have standard, wide and xtra wide models?
I've always wondered why Specialized seems to change the last around which they build their shoes so often. Have human feet changed so radically in the years since the S-Works 7 was launched to warrant the change in design? Have they changed much since Spec started making road shoes in the first place?

I've never owned Spec shoes but I recall that with every launch they seem to have changed the shape they design them around.
Good question. :noidea: Shimano did this too with RC902 vs 901 - but made it narrower, which I suppose is even worse.

Could be another marketing thing for Spesh, where they are basically getting customers for the S Works Torch that have NOT been able to fit into the S Works 7, on the assumption that many of those with the 7s will not necessarily want to upgrade their still perfectly useable shoes.

Have to say that Lake does this the right way with a consistent set of shoe lasts that are then made available in multiple widths. Yes, it's more expensive to keep more inventory like this. But the pricing on this footwear is so eye-watering now, that I am pretty sure Spesh could do the same thing without too much of a hit to the bottom line.

Anyway, I will end up at least trying them, because there are things that I see and like here. But will wait for some more reviews of the fit and how the sole plays with speedplay cleats (per Flatlandclimber's question).

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

These have also peaked my interests. I'm a Lake shoe wearer as I really like the wider footbed that even their regular size incorporates. I've never had to order a "wide" shoe in Lake but like said previously, they are already pretty generous in their regular sizes.

I think most cyclists are looking for the ideal setup where one of your contact points just "dissapears" underneath you. I adopted the 3-d printed saddle the Spesh came out with last year and I must say it was pretty much a game changer in saddles for me. If these shoes can do that better than the Lakes I have and be lighter to boot then they are worth a try. Although I'll say that investing in a good set of insoles is probably the biggest game changer in shoe comfort for me, followed by toe box area. The G8 insoles that I've been using are working quite well.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Wed May 25, 2022 6:00 pm

basically getting customers for the S Works Torch that have NOT been able to fit into the S Works 7
That's me. Wanted to love the 7's but just a bit too snug in the toe box for me. And I wanted white which didn't have the wide option. I bought a pair of these as soon as they went up. Hoping they do the trick.

Also intrigued by the insoles. Would you guys consider this a medium arch?

stevesbike

by stevesbike

One limitation of Specialized aftermarket insoles is that they assume both feet have the same arch height, which is often not the casse. Scott makes one that has adjustable arch height and metatarsal inserts. Giro has adjustable arch heights in theirs but even the high isn't very high. The Retul (specialized) custom one is pretty good though the metatarsal part isn't great. The most adjustable are the G8 insoles though they are a bit quirky and add significant volume especially around the heel.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

kode54 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:00 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:10 am
Just ordered mine. Black.
396 Euros with discount.
Funny how I baulked at paying 200 for my wedding shoes.....!
I've been with Sworks since the 5.
My 7's have been in service now for 4 years and are looking a bit worn, but still OK.
Will Youtube review these as soon as I've ridden them.
How to justify cost especially when comparing with other shoes?
Wedding shoes = 1X use
Cycling shoes = everyday shoe!
It kinda depends how many times you get married..... :lol:

P.S. My 8's should arrive tomorrow.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:39 am

Also intrigued by the insoles. Would you guys consider this a medium arch?

Medium-high arch.

card0s

by card0s

I purchased the Torches in white plus a pair of blue/medium insoles with a 10% discount (first-time purchase).
Unfortunately, there is no 15% discount for Portugal but it's better than nothing.
This will be my first S-Works shoes and second pair in total, I currently have a pair of Lakes CX218.
Also, I chose to pick up the shoes at my nearest distributor so I can return them immediately if they don't fit properly.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:52 pm

The simple answer: data. Specialized has been able to gather a lot of objective data from their fitting tools to document what actually works rather than relying on rider feedback alone.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

scottydonald

by scottydonald

mine are sitting at my local depot, doesnt seem they are being delivered today now! frustrating!

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Got a pair today.

Nice shoes, good width in the forefoot, which is good for me and should suit people with normal human feet (sorry to the narrow brigade).

Not that different from the previous Spesh offering, but a few noticeable tweaks.

Slightly annoying creaseing of material at the instep midfoot.

I wouldn't say that I am blown away, but no real complaints either.

ODC

by ODC

I have bought a white pair yesterday.
I needed to buy a half size bigger (44.5) in comparison with my Sworks Vent shoes.
My first impression: the torch are wider but at the toes lower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com