Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chris1234

by chris1234

Tried a pair on.

As a fan of the 7, these are definitely comfy. The tongue area is much improved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

I had 42 in S-Works 7 and went with 42 in the Torch as well, for those doubting the size.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Eterna7m wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:26 pm

Haha they’re right out of the box. I’ll have to decide whether it’ll be the lace or the torch. Laces are also 130 eur cheaper..
Obviously a very personal choice, but which did you go with in the end?

I have SW7s (black) for poor weather and Ares (Team red) for the nicer days, both in size 44.

I've started getting sore feet when wearing the Ares, usually after a couple of hours of riding. Pain is at the outside of both feet, even with the boas loose, so I'm thinking its just the tightness of the mesh sock causing the problem, essentially making them too narrow through the midfoot when temps rise.

Its not a wedging or cleat issue, as they're set up identical to my 7s, which have the same soles.

So I'm thinking of replacing the Ares with either the SW Torch or SW7 Lace. In the UK, the Torch is £385 but the Laces can be had for £135 less, a not inconsiderable saving.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Lighter than same size 7 Lace (size 46).
Attachments
7957EB76-18F2-4FD2-B1E0-FFB3E9388F8D.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

ryanw wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:18 am
Lighter than same size 7 Lace (size 46).
Thanks Ryan. Looking at your post back in the SW7 Lace thread, you had the weights of all the versions in size 46 (minus the Torch).

It seems there's barely a gram difference between the Lace and Torch, with both being about 26g lighter than the Ares.

Having said that, weight is never the main consideration for me when it comes to shoes

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

BianchiDave wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:

Haha they’re right out of the box. I’ll have to decide whether it’ll be the lace or the torch. Laces are also 130 eur cheaper..

I have SW7s (black) for poor weather and Ares (Team red) for the nicer days, both in size 44.

I've started getting sore feet when wearing the Ares, usually after a couple of hours of riding. Pain is at the outside of both feet, even with the boas loose, so I'm thinking its just the tightness of the mesh sock causing the problem, essentially making them too narrow through the midfoot when temps rise.

Its not a wedging or cleat issue, as they're set up identical to my 7s, which have the same soles.

So I'm thinking of replacing the Ares with either the SW Torch or SW7 Lace. In the UK, the Torch is £385 but the Laces can be had for £135 less, a not inconsiderable saving.
I’ve returned the lace. The lace is just a tad longer than the torch for the same size and I’m technically between 42,5 and 43. so a 43 in the lace was def too long.
Might not have been an issue but I have slightly wider flat feet, so I can’t really lock my forefoot if I wanted to.
The laces were very comfortable tho. But I already have Scott rc laces which are almost the same.
That’s why I have also tried the Scott rc evo, which were very comfortable too (probably more so than the torch) and cost about half but I think the mesh would get dirty very fast.

So Right now I still have the torch in 42,5 and 43 until I make a decision.
I still have until the 30th…

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 am
BianchiDave wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:

I’ve returned the lace. The lace is just a tad longer than the torch for the same size and I’m technically between 42,5 and 43. so a 43 in the lace was def too long.
Might not have been an issue but I have slightly wider flat feet, so I can’t really lock my forefoot if I wanted to.
The laces were very comfortable tho. But I already have Scott rc laces which are almost the same.
That’s why I have also tried the Scott rc evo, which were very comfortable too (probably more so than the torch) and cost about half but I think the mesh would get dirty very fast.

So Right now I still have the torch in 42,5 and 43 until I make a decision.
I still have until the 30th…
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm swaying toward the Lace, due to just how well the 7s work with my feet.

Decisions, desicions 😆

Buexx

by Buexx

I will rather get myself the SWorks Laces instead of the new Torch or "old" 7. I got the 2020 (?) TdU SW7, but I want another white pair. And having Giro Empire SLX...I love those shoes with their laces. Holiday money already planed :D

kode54

by kode54

Did 2 rides with the SW Torch. Some comments on these. Heel cup is less aggressive and since I'm used to the SW7 narrow heel cup, it initially felt loose and wide open. Second ride in...got more used to the wide heel cup, although the SW7 heel cup didn't bother me, in fact I still prefer it over the SW Torch. As others have said, velcro strap deletion is great...I never adjust the SW7 strap and the velcro always got dirty. Not sure what you call the outer bone (small toe side) but that's still a bit tight even with the 6mm wider toe box. Its possible that it will work its way out over time. Not sure right now. Speedplay cleat adapters went on with the same wedges as the SW7. No overhang and fits well to the bottom. Center tongue (if that's what you call it) is soft and doesn't dig into my foot as well as the outer ankle bone that hit the SW7. Comfy there.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ms6073

by ms6073

Ritsuke wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm
I had 42 in S-Works 7 and went with 42 in the Torch as well, for those doubting the size.
The wife started out in 41.5 but I recently got her size 41 which she indicated was a bit better fit so I tried on her size 41.5's for grins. I ride in Shimano S-Phyre RC902 in size 42 and was surprised to find the wife's S-Works Torch shoes to be a somewhat comparable fit. The toe box is a smidge narrower than her Aeres in size 41 and even more narrow than her 2-3 year old S-Works Hero shoes in 41.5 but still a tad wider than my S-Phyre shoes. Also, the Torch in 41.5 is not quite as narrow through the mid-foot as my S-phyre but I suspect I ride them in spring/summer/fall season without issue, but in the winter time, trying to wear them with Swiftwick Merino wool socks would probably be a tad tight around the toes. So all told, over the last 6-8 months I have managed to collect for my wide Specialized Ares in sizes 40.5 & 41 and now S-Works Torch in sizes 41 & 41.5 so she should not complain if I decide to get a new pair of Nimbl Ultimates or Shimano since I suspect the S-Phyre RC903 is not far off.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

So I ended up buying the Torch after having a terrible time with the SW7. Bought a pair after they went on sale and wanted to like them, just too narrow for my feet. By the end of a 2 hour ride, even with loosening the BOA multiple times, my feet were in agonizing pain. Was able to return them for credit, so I used that towards the Torch. Much more comfortable for me. The upper of the Torch also feels like it has a little stretch in it compared to teh SW7 as well as being wider.

As far as venting goes, I didn't notice any issues riding in 95F weather the other day. But I've also never had an issue of hot feet, usually the other way where my feet get cold in anything less than around 55-60F. Overall, I'm happy with the Torch over the SW7 for my feet.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Robius

by Robius

Buexx wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:42 pm
I will rather get myself the SWorks Laces instead of the new Torch or "old" 7. I got the 2020 (?) TdU SW7, but I want another white pair. And having Giro Empire SLX...I love those shoes with their laces. Holiday money already planed :D
I had S-Works Sub6 laces but comfort wise it was not even comparable to Empire SLX. Empire SLX fits like a glove for me. :beerchug:
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:12 pm
So I ended up buying the Torch after having a terrible time with the SW7. Bought a pair after they went on sale and wanted to like them, just too narrow for my feet. By the end of a 2 hour ride, even with loosening the BOA multiple times, my feet were in agonizing pain. Was able to return them for credit, so I used that towards the Torch. Much more comfortable for me. The upper of the Torch also feels like it has a little stretch in it compared to teh SW7 as well as being wider.

As far as venting goes, I didn't notice any issues riding in 95F weather the other day. But I've also never had an issue of hot feet, usually the other way where my feet get cold in anything less than around 55-60F. Overall, I'm happy with the Torch over the SW7 for my feet.
I have the same issue with the SW7 and with the Vent. In hot conditions (30°C+/ 86°F+) after one to two hours my feet start hurting so much that I have to open up my shoe and preferably even take my feet out. Hopefully the Torch won't have the same issue.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

bob78h

by bob78h

kode54 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:53 pm
Did 2 rides with the SW Torch. Some comments on these. Heel cup is less aggressive and since I'm used to the SW7 narrow heel cup, it initially felt loose and wide open. Second ride in...got more used to the wide heel cup, although the SW7 heel cup didn't bother me, in fact I still prefer it over the SW Torch. As others have said, velcro strap deletion is great...I never adjust the SW7 strap and the velcro always got dirty. Not sure what you call the outer bone (small toe side) but that's still a bit tight even with the 6mm wider toe box. Its possible that it will work its way out over time. Not sure right now. Speedplay cleat adapters went on with the same wedges as the SW7. No overhang and fits well to the bottom. Center tongue (if that's what you call it) is soft and doesn't dig into my foot as well as the outer ankle bone that hit the SW7. Comfy there.
I have almost the exact same impressions as you! I loved the SW7 heel cup. The Torch is adequate but not quite as good, I have to crank the BOAs tighter to get the heel locked in. The plus is that I can actually do this without any discomfort, the SW7 I had to leave the BOAs a couple clicks loose.

Also agree that they are tight on the outside of the foot (5th metatarsal head). I noticed there is stretchy material both the inside and outside of the foot. The area on the inside lines up perfectly with the 1st met head, but the outside stretchy area is too far towards the front so the 5th met head is being compressed by the stiff part of the shoe.

These are still miles more comfy overall than the SW7, just a couple of areas that aren't perfect for me. I'm hoping the outer foot will stretch out a little, if not, I may try a wide size.

Swannie

by Swannie

Is team version already available somewhere?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com