Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Stormtrooper wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:47 pm
If the S Work Torch's are tight on you then you would have hated the RC9.
Ditto. As I posted earlier, I have the Shimano SH-RC902 in size 42 and will be giving a pair of the S-Works Torch in size 41.5 a short ride this afternoon and just from adjustments to fit Wahoo Speedplay cleats, my S-Phyre are notably narrower from the metatarsal bump forward.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cpac54

by cpac54

Does anyone know how the new S-Works Torch wide compare to the Bont Vaypor-S wide for comparable sizing?

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:09 pm
They are better on the 5th met head than the Ares, which I found a nicer all round shoe for comfort, but would make that area on both my feet cry.

The overall feel of these shoes is very good I have to say. Wasn't sold after a couple of rides, but keep finding myself putting them on again!

The sole is probably the best I have ever tried and I have been through pretty much every top end shoe out there. Feel a real attachment to the pedal. More buzzy than the Ares though, as they do not use the extra layer of black rubber like material that they seemed to introduce with the Ares and seemed to make a massive difference.

Extra width suits my foot, although I would even like a wider and deeper toe box (like the Ares) and more locked heel. The heel cup in definitely not as satisfying as in earlier models, where you feel glued in.

The lack of ventilation is a real head scratcher though. My feet have been a bit too hot quite a few times. I am going to buy a white pair when I can and drill some small pin prick holes into the toe area to improve it.

Personally, I hope they do a new Ares, which is entirely the same shoe, but with the wider profile of the Torch.
The Ares shoes are the best fitting shoes I ever had except the front mid foot. The base shoe plate is soo small compared to many others
I have narrow heels but a long big toe en wider mid foot. A nightmare ... Either the fit nicely but too short or the fit length wise and basically have heel slip and feet moving all over the place
The only thing I hope is that Spez updates the Ares with the same carbon foot plate as this Torch. I would buy them in an instant and immediately a few pair 😂

kode54

by kode54

The heel is not great with the SW Torch. Better with SW7 and okay with the Ares (best compromise for comfort). SW7 heel retention is best for me. Torch not so much. I’m going to try to heat the heel area and clamp it to make it a bit more narrow so there less heel lift.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

chris1234

by chris1234

Does the use of "Torch" indicate Specialized intends to keep the 7 in parallel? I noticed Sagan was using the 7s on his recent win - presumably not all pros are sold on the new model.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

chris1234 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:31 pm
Does the use of "Torch" indicate Specialized intends to keep the 7 in parallel? I noticed Sagan was using the 7s on his recent win - presumably not all pros are sold on the new model.
No, it replaced the 7.

bob78h

by bob78h

So an update now that I've had a few weeks to ride in these. 5th met head is turning out to be a real problem for me. For some reason moreso in the right foot (which is actually my smaller foot) than the left. I think due to variation/quality control in how the upper is attached to the sole, my right shoe ended up being slightly narrower than the left. Both feet are red in the 5th met head area after a ride, but the right one is worse and actually uncomfortable.

Strangely I never had any 5th met head issues in the SW7. I'm guessing its because although the Torches are wider, they are also lower volume in the outside of the foot. Not sure what to do now, I'm not convinced that area will stretch meaningfully as it is the stiff, non stretchy material. May need to try a wide size when they are available (but traditionally those have been too much volume in the heel and midfoot for me).

Visqu

by Visqu

Any clues as to when Spesh might release the already announced remaining colors?
Really looking forward to see the Deep Marine colorway.

jayjay

by jayjay

Will the Torch stretch a little bit after some time?
I'm kinda between 2 sizes :|

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

jayjay wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:28 am
Will the Torch stretch a little bit after some time?
I'm kinda between 2 sizes :|
Not so far (few hundred miles).

The material does not seem stretchy at all either.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Does anyone know how the cleat position compares to the RC902s?

I like to get as close to a mid foot cleat position as possible and moved them all the way back on my current shoes. Curious how far back you can get them on the torch.

chris1234

by chris1234

I think you can go pretty far back. My sense is it's even further back than the S-Works 7, which was already pretty far back.

Although you have to rotate the t-nuts, which is a pain on Specialized shoes.

blacktalon

by blacktalon

OnTheRivet wrote:
njleach wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:55 pm
My 43.5 can't wait to try it

Beautiful! Have my 44.5's in white on backorder. What products are people using/recommending to keep their white shoes...white?
If they are the same material as the 7's just use soap and water occassionaly. Chemicals will discolor the palstic elements.
Has anyone used crep spray on white specialized shoes? I got a new pair of vents in white and want to keep them that way.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Worst hot foot I have ever had with these after about 2 1/2 hours.

chris1234

by chris1234

Is it me or are a sh*t load of pros in TdF still using the 7?

Sagan
Pidcock
McNulty
Jungels
Kamna

Are any using the Torch?

Do pros hate the Torch?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com