I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:59 am
musiclover wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:34 am
How often do people do the minor service of dura aces? (Change the grease)? I do it maybe every 1000 k, grease looks terrible by the end... Getting a bit lazy to do it though...

For the average human, I pretty much recommend never servicing D-A pedals unless they are obviously crunchy. In the process of servicing pedals that are working just fine, they'll just *f##k* up the bearing preload.
It's a nice lazy first world option, no problems with that. The thing is that if you wait until they become "obviously crunchy" it most likely mean that the races are already stuffed. Not to stuff up the preload one could mark the position or maybe even use some tape to fix the position of two nuts together. I have serviced them twice and preload is fine...
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

My Dura-Ace 9000 pedal start to get less smooth.
at 6 years old. I can feel a bit of roughness in there but it still spin fine. It has never been serviced.

At this point after 6 years of using it for 10,000 to 17,000 km per year, the wear plate and the rest of the platform aren't in the perfect shape either. I might service it and replace wear plate at the same time, if I can still buy one for 2-generation outdated Dura-Ace pedal.

So, I'd say to service it every 5 years or 50,000 km whichever come first would be appropriate precaution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Xpresso 12 (144g) and Xpresso 10. Used mine for +5 years and no problem, no service done at all.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.