its probably been asked, but is there an approximate weight of white paint on

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

a carbon frame?
as we all know, its requires the most amount of paint. and i feel like the paint job on my particular bike is somehow more than generous.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Catagory6 wrote:a carbon frame?
as we all know, its requires the most amount of paint. and i feel like the paint job on my particular bike is somehow more than generous.
Some painters who stripped frames with a blade had weighed all the shavings. Came out to roughly 30g on some frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

It's generally more than 30g, I don't have a good number though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

RyanH wrote:It's generally more than 30g, I don't have a good number though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
So the one painter’s comments was it as super inconsistent with some brands applications. So much so when the painter told the manufacturer - they were actually doing a job for the manufacturer. The manufacturer lost it and complained to the factory about the heavy applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C36

by C36

As mentioned above “it depends” even within a brand. I had 51g differences between my Pearl white SSevo2 hm fork and the black one (332/281g). On the frame I had just 20g, but they slightly changed frame manufacturing over the years of the SSe2 and the black frame is a 3 colour scheme (so a bit heavier over a 2 Colors) so not apples to apples

garbageman

by garbageman

I also don't have a good general number but here's a data point: in the Aethos thread a member posted the weight of his Sagan edition 10r frameset, an off-white color, at 827g. The "satin carbon" 10r framesets weigh in around 700g. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162681&p=1688440#p1688440

Maddie

by Maddie

Can be anywhere between 30 and 200g. You don't know until you have removed it. To OP, what makes you think yours is particularly heavy?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Maddie wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:51 am
Can be anywhere between 30 and 200g. You don't know until you have removed it. To OP, what makes you think yours is particularly heavy?
well, the bike is a 2016 De Rosa Protos, in the white/grey/black color scheme.
monsterous down tube, white base color, lots of area to cover.
not sure if its worth the effort and cost, even for 200g. and i do like the paint job.
i'd also probably get it minimally repainted with white paneling and striping, but leaving mostly bare carbon

maybe i could strip the original fork. weigh the difference before/after, and then extrapolate based on weight proportions between fork and frame.
assuming paint was applied the same

Maddie

by Maddie

I removed paint from several different frames. My advise is to be 100% sure before you commit to it. It's not only the amount of work, I also find it terribly boring and not relaxing at all. Perseverance is key. Areas like the front derailleur hanger can be a PITA to work on because you have limited access. For me personally, if I want a different paint job, removing the old paint completely is a must for my inner peace.

The other thing is you can't really extrapolate paint weight from the fork to the frame. I had a fork with 19g of paint, the rest of the frame 65g. Another fork 8g, rest of the frame 191g. It's not only the paint itself, it also depends on how clean the frame came out of the mold and how much of preparation (filler, primer etc) was necessary before the frame was painted. You won't know that until you are halfway through.

LouisN

by LouisN

Catagory6 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:05 pm
a carbon frame?
I have a thread somewhere about stripping my white (size M) frameset. it lost close to 200 g with the fork.Note: It's an ISP frame though.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Singular

by Singular

LouisN wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:36 pm
Catagory6 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:05 pm
a carbon frame?
I have a thread somewhere about stripping my white (size M) frameset. it lost close to 200 g with the fork.Note: It's an ISP frame though.

Louis :)
That (150-200g) seems like a pretty common guesstimate for a light-/white-painted frameset (when it's not an outspoken ultralightweight focus).

...and I'd happily carry 200g of beautiful paint around. :)