Bar tape without adhesive backing.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simbikotic

by simbikotic

I have been using Cinelli Gel Cork bar tape for years. My favourite thing about it is that it does not have adhesive, just a slighly tacky backing that grips the bars trough friction. This has so many advandages - no peeling, no residue, easy to back-track and re-wrap - so this feature is now a hard requirement for me when it comes to new bar tape. However, the Cinelli tape is the only one I know about.

Are there other tapes out there that folk reccomend and don't use adhesive, but just grip the bars through friction/tension?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

A lot of the newer tapes have silicone backing gel that provides grip and cushioning and some friction to hold the tape in place without adhesive. Additionally, the full on silicone tapes have no need for any adhesive to hold it in place. I have used ESI RCT tape and am currently using Acros silicone tape that is very nice.

RobJ

by RobJ

BdaGhisallo wrote:A lot of the newer tapes have silicone backing gel that provides grip and cushioning and some friction to hold the tape in place without adhesive. Additionally, the full on silicone tapes have no need for any adhesive to hold it in place. I have used ESI RCT tape and am currently using Acros silicone tape that is very nice.
This.

I have used Arundel Synth Gecko a number of times. 100% silicone so no adhesive, good padding and a number of color options. Tapes like these you can also remove and wash.

https://www.arundelbike.com/product/synth-gecko/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Ritchey bar tape has a tacky back.

Avoid 3T which left a film on the bars last time I tried it

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Can highly recommend the SQ Labs 712 tape! https://www.futurumshop.nl/sqlab-712-st ... wart.phtml

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

I've been using generic 3M duct tape to cover the adhesive backing all the time(mostly on Fizik or Deda tapes), thusly I don't have to deal with sticky stuff when changing old tapes. Because the duct tape is flexible and has a matte surface, the bar tapes won't unravel easily as long as I wrap tightly.
Also the duct tape can protect alloy bar from corrosive sweat. I would suggest you try this cheap hack before you look for new tapes.

jlok

by jlok

Gel/Silicone backing is heavier tho...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MikeD

by MikeD

The last tape I used was Cinelli cork ribbon. It seemed to have a silicone adhesive that didn't leave a residue on the bars when I rewrapped a section. It still had a paper strip that had to be stripped off.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Awesome, thanks so much for the reccomendations all. I am going to order a bunch of these to try out.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

jlok wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:14 pm
Gel/Silicone backing is heavier tho...
Loving this comment :D

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Love the Enve tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓