Stiff, light round top integrated handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

I'm currently using the S-Works Aerofly II handlebars but not a fan of the flat tops. I don't race often but do climb a bit, and like to climb on the tops. The flat tops just don't feel comfortable for me. So I'm looking for some new bars. I'd like to get an integrated bar/stem combo if possible, mostly for looks, but I'm open to a normal bar as well. I know the Alpinist cockpit fits my wants pretty well, and the Black Inc bar/stem combo looks good also. There's also the new Darimo cockpit. I'm a bigger guy at 85kg so also want a stiff bar that's not super flexy when putting down power.

For those of you that have experience with the Alpinist cockpit and/or the Black Inc bars, what are your thoughts? Any other options? Look like most integrated bars are aero bars with flat tops. Any other light stiff bars that people like? The weight weenie in me would love a set of the new Darimo bars, but not sure if they're even available yet, or if they'd be too flexy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

As a 64kg rider, I like Darimo and have several, but when it came time for a custom bonding of their bar & stem,
I had to have the bars reinforced with extra layers of carbon (so the shifter clamps barely fit the increased OD).
Even their bars-only I had to reinforce from the inside.
So yeah, at your weight, steer way clear of Darimo.

I also have Black Inc, but just bars, not integrated. Those bars are stiffer than Darimo. Any bar is stiffer than Darimo.

I see the Cadex road bar at a very light weight, but have never seen one, nor any real-world reports about its stiffness.

Schmolkes are nice and fairly stiff, as broad on tops as Black, but have too deep a drop for my likes.

I've had THM Ulna, another solid bar but I don't like the flare (a bit more than Black). The hoods are narrower than the advertised width.

And Lightweights are good bars, they make a shallow version and seem very comparable to Black Inc.

It's amazing how small differences magnify on a part like handlebars.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

UpFromOne wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:57 am

I see the Cadex road bar at a very light weight, but have never seen one, nor any real-world reports about its stiffness.
Those Cadex look sweet. Actually really like the AR version, albeit a little heavier than the race version. But dang that's a short reach. Definitely would have to size up on my stem.

I too thought about going with the Alpinst cockpit but don't think the cable routing would work with my Tarmac SL7. I am considering some round bars though.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Add the Bonti Aeolus RSL to that list of bars to consider. Light, stiff, and still aero, without being as deep/flat as Aerofly

nickf

by nickf

I'm not 85kg but I won't ride anything other than Easton bars. Excellent ergonomics. I'm running two of the E100 bars, not the lightest at 178g but they are a good compromise of weight and stiffness. On the gravel bike I'm running the slightly heavier EC90, again with great stiffness and weight.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

UpFromOne wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:57 am
As a 64kg rider, I like Darimo and have several, but when it came time for a custom bonding of their bar & stem,
I had to have the bars reinforced with extra layers of carbon (so the shifter clamps barely fit the increased OD).
Even their bars-only I had to reinforce from the inside.
So yeah, at your weight, steer way clear of Darimo.

I also have Black Inc, but just bars, not integrated. Those bars are stiffer than Darimo. Any bar is stiffer than Darimo.

Schmolkes are nice and fairly stiff, as broad on tops as Black, but have too deep a drop for my likes.

I've had THM Ulna, another solid bar but I don't like the flare (a bit more than Black). The hoods are narrower than the advertised width.

And Lightweights are good bars, they make a shallow version and seem very comparable to Black Inc.

It's amazing how small differences magnify on a part like handlebars.
Really nice weight with Cadex coming from a bigger manufacturer compared to the smaller boutique brands like Darimo, THM, etc. Speaking of, the Schmolke are ok but I'm not liking the dimensions. The THM look good, too. But I'm wondering how stiff they are. I like the Black Inc though they're the heaviest of the bunch it seems. And for the Bontrager, they're just too long. Out of the ones listed, I think the Cadex might work if they can be found.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Anybody try the Zipp SL70 ergo bars? They look good but I think they're pretty heavy. Any other bars with that little backsweep for the tops? The Cadex AR have it but the flare and outsweep make the drops like 48cm which I a little wide for my liking.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They're not internally routed. Have fitted the SL and Service Course.

I love my MCFKs, stiff, light, Di2 internally routed.
Attachments
6DC945C6-6E64-44B3-A710-3A6874531CE0.jpeg
C3614FF8-5251-4AF4-9C3C-9C23502A89D9.jpeg
7AD397A9-EF26-4E85-82E6-AEDE21D33C81.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:26 am
They're not internally routed. Have fitted the SL and Service Course.

I love my MCFKs, stiff, light, Di2 internally routed.
Did you happen to weigh the SL? And I'm not too worried about the routing, I think they'd do ok with a Tarmac stem. Those MCFKs do look pretty sweet, too.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They were a 42 and believe they came in 217g off the top of my head. Almost identical to SL70 aero.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:35 am
They were a 42 and believe they came in 217g off the top of my head. Almost identical to SL70 aero.
Oof. Well I think we're about the same size so if you think the MCFKs are stiff, they'll probably be the ones.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Love them and 152g.
Much stiffer than their aero road bars.

RNAV

by RNAV

I have the Black Inc integrated bars on two of my bikes and love them. Ergonomics are outstanding. The tops aren't round, though . . . they have an aero profile, but it's minimalistic and very comfortable.

treyxt

by treyxt

I'm 90kg and am working on installing some zipp contour SL short & shallow bars tomorrow, i can let you know next week how these feel. weighed in at 190g for a 42cm. A little worried they may be a little flexy so we'll see. You could also look into pro vibe aero or round bars, the aero ones has a very less deep flat top section great for holding onto.

my reason for switching from aero bars was during sprints my forearm tends to hit the tops because tehy stick out so much toward me, so the round bars should be a good improvement in that regard
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fsp15923

by fsp15923

May I suggest a link to the proposed bars be also posted?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk