Road bike pump recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stockae92

by stockae92

Looking for a recommendation for road bike pump, a small & light one for the jerscy back pocket?

Thanks.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

If you want to carry in Jersey pocket:
miniFumpa -- it doesn't have pressure gauge though...

Otherwise:
Fumpa (regular size) -- equipped with very accurate digital gauge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I use a Topeak Micro Rocket, which ain’t great, but it’s super light and I rarely flat since switching to tubeless. If I do flat, a hidden benefit is that you will grow one Popeye arm after using the pump for the first time.

mgrl

by mgrl

Same as Tobin on the go. Fumpa at home and for travel.

greycat

by greycat

PRO BIKE TOOL Mini Bike Pump Premium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HR4GBVG/re ... 89G5?psc=1

I carry it in my right back pocket with extra tube and tools.

I like this pump cause it has a hose. I can screw onto stem or extension for tight seal. Without a flexible hose you risk damaging the valve while pumping. I prefer having a metal over plastic or carbon pumps cause I don't need it breaking/failing. I'm sure there is a carbon version if ww is required.

bobones

by bobones

Hoses are trouble for valves with removeable cores (most tubeless) as they often unscrew the core by mistake. Been there done that, and now never use screw on pump heads.

I used to carry the same Topeak Micro Rocket model as THY, but its size was really the only good thing about it. I now use a Topeak Roadie TT Mini and it fits a jersey pocket just as well, but is far superior at inflating tyres.
Last edited by bobones on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:45 am
Hoses are trouble for valves with removeable cores (most tubeless) as they often unscrew the core by mistake. Been there done that, and now never use screw on pump heads.

I used to carry the same Topeak Micro Rocket model as THY, but the size was the really the only good thing about it. I now use a Topeak Roadie TT Mini and it fits a jersey pocket just as well, but is far superior at inflating tyres.
Same here, but I now make sure the valve core is tight enough and I learned to screw the hose not too tight.

I also bring this little valve core tool in my kit, just in case.
valve core tool
valve core tool
Regarding the hand pump, my favorite is Lezyne Pocket Drive. I bring it most of the time. Saved me at least a few times of taxi fee.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've tested most mini / micro pumps.

Best on the market is: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... IE-TT-Mini

Fits in Rapha essential case.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

bobones

by bobones

greycat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:45 am
Without a flexible hose you risk damaging the valve while pumping.
This is easy to avoid with the right technique: you should put your non-pumping hand around the back of the wheel and hold the rim and head at the valve so you can support the wheel as you pump against it. Nothing is going to break as there is no movement except for the pumping action.

kervelo

by kervelo

For years I did not carry any pump with me, just a couple of CO2 cartridges. Now that I ride mostly tubeless tyres I purchased the Lezyne Sport Drive HV Mini. It is a nice and small pump with a hose, works well and fits the jersey pocket.

A HV pump is a good option now that the tyre pressures are much lower than before, around 4 bar on the road bike and 2.5 bar on the gravel.

bobones

by bobones

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am
I've tested most mini / micro pumps.

Best on the market is: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... IE-TT-Mini

Fits in Rapha essential case.
Listen to him.

* Doesn't fit my essentials case though as it is already rammed with other stuff.

txg

by txg

Blackburn Airstik SL.

It's a cheap but good quality pump weighing only 58g.

stockae92

by stockae92

Thank you all for the recommendation.

I ended up getting the Lezyne Sport Drive, cause I want to bring a small pump with me when my small kids are out riding. their bikes got Shrader valves.

ms6073

by ms6073

I have also used a couple of the pumps mentioned here including both the alloy and carbon Blackburn Airstik pumps, both of which did the job but usually took quite a few strokes to inflate tires. SInce switching to tubeless, I really have not had a need for a pump, but occasionally someone we ride with does, so wanted to mention the BBB BMP-50 Samurai Mini. While weighing a 'hefty' 123 grams and measuring 210 mm in length, it is not as light or compact as the others mentioned here, but when CO2 is not avaialble, the telesoping design,
makes much quicker work when inflating road tires with this pump.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:17 am
I use a Topeak Micro Rocket, which ain’t great, but it’s super light and I rarely flat since switching to tubeless. If I do flat, a hidden benefit is that you will grow one Popeye arm after using the pump for the first time.
Same here. Ultra light, and perfectly fits in the "binding" of my Silca Eolo wallet/bag thing that I carry on most rides. Works well for getting a tube started and installed (before using a CO2 cartridge) and in a pinch can inflate a 25mm tire to more than just emergency-use pressures; as Tobin notes, you will get a workout, but the pump's stroke is not very long, so it's not as difficult as some mini pumps I've used in the past.

At home I have a now-vintage Italian-made Silca Super Pista, which I bought new from Excel Sports maybe 15 or 16 years ago. I recently bought a Hiro head for it (which cost as much as I paid for the entire pump, new!), and find it fiddly to use and so I may just go back to the original Silca brass chuck it came with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com