Reliable 11 speed chains - hard to find

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goixiz

by goixiz

I have always got great results with KMC 11SL chains and lately its hard to find.
I ordered some PYC SL (looks like the KMC11sl) butwhen i received it its package SwishTi. I am not sure if this is a knock off or fake chains (many lately from KMC and shimano) and i dont want to be the one that has a broken chain on the middle of the ride.

What chains are you guys riding that does not cost arm and leg ?
- Eat More Rice !

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just Dura-Ace 11s chains, fast, durable and reliable

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Shimano ones. Dura Ace if possible but frankly 105/Ultegra ones also do a great job.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Never had a problem with the Dura Ace chain -- it's gone up in price in the past year, but can still be found for about $50 if you shop around.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Mainly genuine HG701 for me, either with Shimano or KMC quicklinks. HG901 (Dura Ace) do seem to last a bit better, but I'm not so sure the value is improved, given the price.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

KMC for me. They are great for waxing once the plating wears in a little bit.

Sample size of one, but the only chain I’ve ever snapped was a YBN.

I prefer the 5.5mm wide chains (KMC, Campy, YBN) to the 5.6mm ones (Wippermann, Shimano, SRAM)

robertbb

by robertbb

goixiz wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:31 pm
I have always got great results with KMC 11SL chains and lately its hard to find.
I ordered some PYC SL (looks like the KMC11sl) butwhen i received it its package SwishTi. I am not sure if this is a knock off or fake chains (many lately from KMC and shimano) and i dont want to be the one that has a broken chain on the middle of the ride.

What chains are you guys riding that does not cost arm and leg ?
Stick with KMC. They're great. *if* you can find one from a reputable dealer you know won't stock fakes.

Never tried the SL version, but the X11 has additional chamfering around all edges which makes it probably the best chain for 1x applications. At the angles typical of a 1x system the chamfering really does prevent unwanted chain suck onto adjacent cogs.

kode54

by kode54

Because of the shortages/supply chain issues…I’ve never seen so many fake chains on the market. I’m guessing that the only place to buy an actual chain from original manufacturers is from a reputable bike shop (LBS or online).

At this point, paying full MSRP is a safety net in getting no fake ones?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MikeD

by MikeD

kode54 wrote:Because of the shortages/supply chain issues…I’ve never seen so many fake chains on the market. I’m guessing that the only place to buy an actual chain from original manufacturers is from a reputable bike shop (LBS or online).

At this point, paying full MSRP is a safety net in getting no fake ones?
Don't think so. I bought a pair of Bose headphones on the net that were only $50 under MSRP, and they were counterfeit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

expatscot

by expatscot

I've found that Force/Red chains are the most consistently reliable chains. Thankfully I have a spares box full of 10 and 11 speed ones, and will need to check as my stock levels are getting rather depleted.

(mainly running mechanical 10 Speed Red and 11 speed eTap)
Look 695 aerolight eTap 11
Boardman TTE eTap 11
Brompton S2 LX ti custom
Trek 5500 1994 Sram Red 10
Boardman CXR9.8 eTap 11
Open UPPER - DA 9270
Ridley x-fire Sram Red 10

and lots of non- WW others.