The Great Braking Debate Thread (Disc/Rim/Cantilever/Fixie/InsertNewTechHere)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warthog101

by warthog101

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

Unrestricted fairing use *might* get you to those 15% ;)

Or maybe not, depends on how much cd you save for the A you'd inevitably gain. I suspect the HPV scene hasn't really tried their hand at enclosing a non-recumbent rider? (why would they!)

Lina

by Lina

Unrestricted fairing use would easily get you the 15% because those fairings would also improve the aerodynamics of the rider.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

For the disc brake users out there: What is the best combo in rainy/dirty road conditions? I have Dura Ace 9170 calipers with stock discs/pads. They make an AWFUL sound and always seem to rub with the slightest amount of dirt. Sunny, dry conditions work perfect.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

Dov

by Dov

Use your rim brake bike in the rain!

Oh wait a minute...
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dov wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Use your rim brake bike in the rain!

Oh wait a minute...
yeah literally :mrgreen:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ritsuke wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:16 pm
For the disc brake users out there: What is the best combo in rainy/dirty road conditions? I have Dura Ace 9170 calipers with stock discs/pads. They make an AWFUL sound and always seem to rub with the slightest amount of dirt. Sunny, dry conditions work perfect.

SwissStop RS. If you are suffering rub, advance/reset your pistons several times, floss them and make sure the caliper is aligned looking at the pad edges from ends of the caliper. Also the best position for avoiding rub when you’re really sawing your bike back and forth might not be perfectly symmetrical, especially for the fork. Forks tend to flex laterally in one direction more than the other, so you might want to shift the caliper a hair’s width toward the outside or something like that.

tomato

by tomato

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 pm
Ritsuke wrote:

SwissStop RS. If you are suffering rub, advance/reset your pistons several times, floss them and make sure the caliper is aligned looking at the pad edges from ends of the caliper. Also the best position for avoiding rub when you’re really sawing your bike back and forth might not be perfectly symmetrical, especially for the fork. Forks tend to flex laterally in one direction more than the other, so you might want to shift the caliper a hair’s width toward the outside or something like that.
What is "flossing" a brake?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tomato wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Cleaning the walls of the pistons.

tomato

by tomato

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 pm
tomato wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Cleaning the walls of the pistons.
:thumbup:

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Ritsuke wrote:
Have you noticed a difference between front and rear?

I find SwissStop RS pretty good as an all-round pad, but they'll still howl if it's really wet. Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way round the noise that comes from dirt landing on the rotors; the clearance needed (small) dictates that. This is with GRX Di2 levers, Catalyst rotors and 9170 calipers.

The downside to the RS pad is when you need to dissipate a lot of heat - braking force begins to reduce. I wish they made a version with the aluminum back plate that the Exotherm has.

If the roads are really bad (I'm thinking grit/dirt) then sintered pads work well, and are not really much noisier than the various organic pads I've used. [Edit: in fact quieter in many circumstances, possibly because they heat up more easily]

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Rode a rim brake with carbon wheels bike the other day.

It reminded me how the braking really sucks, its not even compairable to discs...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

tomato

by tomato

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:00 pm
Rode a rim brake with carbon wheels bike the other day.

It reminded me how the braking really sucks, its not even compairable to discs...
That's just because you were going so much faster. :wink:

c60rider

by c60rider

Ritsuke wrote:
As was quoted somewhere on the forum by Graeme FK, quiet disc brakes in the wet are the Holy Grail ie it doesn't exist. The clearance is so close on wet/gritty roads (I'm talking British lanes here so unless you ride those you won't know) that you'll still get a scraping noise between the caliper and the pad even when you're not braking. Nothing will prevent this noise unless you just gently brake for a second or two to clear it. Within a few seconds it's back again as the spray sends gritty muck back up there in between pad and caliper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

Rim brakes aren't too quiet in the wet either.
That grinding sound is your rim being worn away.