The Great Braking Debate Thread (Disc/Rim/Cantilever/Fixie/InsertNewTechHere)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Nah, asstmetrical disc is heavier and costs more with little to no upside. It is reality. No one has made a successful counter argument either. If that's "crying" then I suggest stop crying about the crying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I know what to do/try. :)

EDIT: Which SwissStop RS would you recommend during winter time? I find a few options.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

tjvirden

by tjvirden

SwissStop: "Disc RS" is the compound - the number relates to fitting a particular caliper design.

E.g. '34' for Shimano "road" calipers

tjvirden

by tjvirden

usr wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Singular wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:59 pm
In general, front wheels wear much, much slower (due to being cleaner).
Depends, when you spend your rainy days in packs front wears faster in my experience (using pad wear as a proxy for rim wear, much easier to see differences there)
My experience is also that the front wears much more quickly, but I agree with the "Depends"; the rear is much muckier, but if it doesn't get used much then there's not much wearing. I can imagine that for some riding the rear sees most wear.

flying

by flying

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:48 am

Anybody watch the Boom cyclocross this past Saturday. I watched it with no commentary - ambient noise only. The brake noise was the worst I've ever heard. And while the usual howling when braking was plenty loud, the real excitement was just riding along :P most of the bikes sounded like a heavy metal chest being dragged accross a cement floor. I tried to see if I could notice whether Sram or Shimano equipped bikes were louder but they were all equally horrible.

We're all dupes. What would consumers do if their cars made this kind of racket. When someone cures this they will make some serious money. I just hope it's not Shimano or Sram that comes up with the cure. I've given those guys enough of my money.

I watched the same race & thought the same thing...it was like a classroom full kids dragging nails on the chalkboard...ridiculous

Hopefully this technology will someday improve....
But at this point it is annoying & not something I would want alongside me on any ride
Talk about nerve racking :noidea:

tomato

by tomato

openwheelracing wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm
Nah, asstmetrical disc is heavier and costs more with little to no upside.
asst·met·ri·cal
/ˌāsttˈmetrək(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: asstmetrical; adjective: asstmetric
a term used by people when repeating meritless statements; lacking logic; a statement pulled from one's asst.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:48 am
What would consumers do if their cars made this kind of racket.
They usually don't hear it.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I am converted to disk brakes. I would love my current winter bike to have disk brakes, it would be far better. All my mountain bikes have disk too. It's just that disk brakes are the wrong brake on my summer road bike. Just not necessary.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tomato wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:10 pm
openwheelracing wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm
Nah, asstmetrical disc is heavier and costs more with little to no upside.
asst·met·ri·cal
/ˌāsttˈmetrək(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: asstmetrical; adjective: asstmetric
a term used by people when repeating meritless statements; lacking logic; a statement pulled from one's asst.
lol... postoftheday
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

LOL that's definitely the best counter argument against disc extra weight and cost. Assymetrical disc brake system.
Last edited by openwheelracing on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomato

by tomato

openwheelracing wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:40 pm
That's definitely the best counter argument against disc extra weight and cost. Spelling of assymetrical disc brake system.
You're now 0 for 2 on spelling ... seems appropriate.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I thought you were a funny guy.

blutto

by blutto

tomato wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:49 pm
openwheelracing wrote:
That's definitely the best counter argument against disc extra weight and cost. Spelling of assymetrical disc brake system.
Old saw with a timely addition....“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell” ....and if you are still losing and are desperately desperate, go after the spelling....

Just sayin' eh.

Cheers

blutto

by blutto

tomato wrote:
openwheelracing wrote:

Cheers

tomato

by tomato

blutto wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:34 am
tomato wrote:
openwheelracing wrote:
Old saw with a timely addition....“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell” ....and if you are still losing and are desperately desperate, go after the spelling....
He has repeatedly posted so many demonstrably wrong "facts" that it is a complete waste of time correcting them anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com