The Great Braking Debate Thread (Disc/Rim/Cantilever/Fixie/InsertNewTechHere)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

We mods will probably instantly regret this but this will be the designated area to discuss anything braking related like rim vs disc.

A few ground rules:
  • This isn't a safe space, if you attack other members you will be put on holiday
  • If you are easily triggered, it's probably best to avoid this thread
  • This thread doesn't represent the views of the mods and those that run the forum, we are just tired of dealing with the same pop up thread multiple times a week to rehash this topic from scratch as if it never existed. Collectively, our opinion is to ride what you like but that isn't good enough for some of the members, particularly the new ones that don't want to use the search button.
  • Again, you will be banned if you step out of line. There is less tolerance here than other threads. Be forewarned. Zero tolerance for ad hominem attacks. Best advice is that if you don't want it to be read out loud in a deposition, don't post it here...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I’d like to thank Ryan for doing god’s work.

After having developed a nervous tick and an ulcer from reading over 9000 braking debate threads, I am excited to announce that I am ready for more!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

:thumbup: about time
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Singular

by Singular

I will be racing on cantis tonight. Welcome to the dark ages!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Coaster brakes too?

basilic

by basilic

since I asked for the thread, my summary of the arguments, framed positively ;-)
Advantages of disk
- better braking in the wet
- no limit on tire size
- possible to swap 700 for 650B
- no abrasion of rims
- manufacturer buy-in (availability and continued development)
- evolving tech on the road, may get better over time

Advantages of rim
- lighter (3-400g)
- cheaper
- easier maintenance (at least for those who have ridden rim brakes for a while)
- mature technology
- allows flexier/more comfortable frame/fork/wheel

corky

by corky

basilic wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 am
since I asked for the thread, my summary of the arguments, framed positively ;-)
Advantages of disk
- better braking in the wet
- no limit on tire size
- possible to swap 700 for 650B
- no abrasion of rims
- manufacturer buy-in (availability and continued development)
- evolving tech on the road, may get better over time

Advantages of rim
- lighter (3-400g)
- cheaper
- easier maintenance (at least for those who have ridden rim brakes for a while)
- mature technology
- allows flexier/more comfortable frame/fork/wheel
For me, who runs both systems, the advantages of disks are only apparent when the roads are wet and then they are offset by the squeal. Sometimes I can deal with it but mostly not.
I am hopeful they(mfgrs) can solve this soon.
With respect to maintenance, rim is easier but is required more. To me though, this is isn't a huge issue....(so far)

tjvirden

by tjvirden

basilic wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 am
This is a great idea; thanks for the suggestion and thanks to the mods for organising it (and for putting up with our endless discussion [arguing] in countless previous threads).

I'll add an advantage for each:

Disc advantage: Better aero in some circumstances

Rim advantage: Better aero in some circumstances

I use both rim and disc, on road bikes, and plan on doing so indefinitely. I'll quibble over the weight difference - it's a difficult comparison to make, but I think can now be as low as a 150g advantage for rim brakes, trying to use approximately equivalent parts. Though sometimes disc is much heavier.

naylor343

by naylor343

corky wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:33 am

For me, who runs both systems, the advantages of disks are only apparent when the roads are wet and then they are offset by the squeal. Sometimes I can deal with it but mostly not.
I am hopeful they(mfgrs) can solve this soon.
With respect to maintenance, rim is easier but is required more. To me though, this is isn't a huge issue....(so far)
This is also my main dislike with disk brakes, the dreaded squeal.

I rode a mountain sportive in Catalunya 3 weeks ago, plenty of wet descending. After being surrounded by a peleton of riders on disk brakes I can still hear the horrendous cacophony of sound ranging from a strangled cat to a ocean liners fog horn.

In addition, on a purely financial front, is the necessity to buy a complete new bike, frame + groupset + wheels.

Other than this, I am resigned to eventually converting to discs and don't really care who rides what. I must add though, that I do not see why cycling needed road discs. As someone who first raced in 1980 and is still riding daily in the high mountains, I have never felt in need of more than the rim brakes I have always used.

But to the industry, before trying to solve any other issues, please, please address the pad/disk wet weather squeal and make everyone's day out more pleasurable.

mgrl

by mgrl

Cheap disc is much much heavier than cheap rim, the gap decreases the more money you put in.

An additional advantage of disc brakes is that you won't get high spec bikes with horrorshow integrated brakes with very little stopping power, as was the fashion with some rim aero/tt bikes.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

This time of year the shop gets filled with clogged rim brakes and squealing disc brakes, both a result of bad maintenance.
However a squealing disc brake is a lot easier and faster to fix than a clogged rim brake (talking about full caliper disassembly and housing replacement).

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Monoblock forged calipers with proper pad set back mechanism, pad compound and rotor tech pls...would love to see disc brakes a few generations from now

ooo

by ooo

Current disc tech soon to be obsolet, wait for Road Boost (aka InsertNewTechHere) to be safe with even left/right spoke tension front disc brake wheels
'

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

So its not going to be like Thunder Dome? Two man enter, one man leave.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

The war is always between disc and rim, but I think it also should be hydronic vs mechanical. I feel like mechanical discs have been overlooked by the industry and customers. Hydronic is definitely better but has several big cons and it's essentially "too much" for a 105-level bike, or any bike that doesn't care about aero (e.g. Aethos). I love discs but my next bike is supposed to avoid those horribly big hydronic hoods by moving to the mechanical disc calipers.