Derailleurs are bad!, there i said it.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

As a person who has been riding road bikes for almost 100 years now, I am disgusted by what the industry and big derailleur has done to push us towards this trivial, useless, expensive, and unnecessarily complicated piece of equipment. Did I mention it was dangerous? I heard in a crash a derailleur could pop off its hanger (another stupid issue with the derailleur, then hanger which may get bent) and poke an eye. I know I am brave to have this opinion that was once held by everyone else in the 30s, and I refuse to be called a Luddite for failing to adapt to changing technology. Despite the fact that bikes with no derailleuer still exist and are even manufactured, I will still bitch and moan to this forum as if I am being personally targeted by you derailleur lovers (and don't make this a bloodfest or tell me how derailleurs allow for faster shifting or how derailleurs can be finely adjusted for better modulation).

Edit: don't tell me to ride what I want either, I must come to a forum to tell everyone else about my preferences even if they've been discussed 100 times before
Last edited by CAAD8FRED on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

It's fine to moan and whinge away I have no problem with people being opinionated as long as the replies don't just become hostile. So if you don't like something so much there are plenty of options for you. But I'm guessing you expect the industry to have developed something that works as well as a derailleur does, with the same weight etc but isn't a derailleur. At present the options are extremely limited or extremely heavy. If it was possible I'm sure they would have done something different. It takes some considerable vision to be able to see an alternative way of doing something that's worked well for the majority for many decades. Campagnolo developed a quick release lever. It's not been bettered since beyond minor incremental smoothness or reduction in weight. The rear derailleur has improved shifting quality as the years have gone on. Very tiny incremental improvements. What do you suggest the industry makes that would satisfy you?

mgrl

by mgrl

It's a spoof rim vs disc thread.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

mgrl wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:34 pm
I'm afraid satire is dead

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dont forget they are heavy..this is weight weenies after all

and not aero, I mean no one does the hour record with derailleurs
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

tjvirden

by tjvirden

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 pm
mgrl wrote:
Lol! :D

It really is isn't it!
Good work.

ms6073

by ms6073

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 pm
Isn't the UCI responsible for that? So shouldn't the title of this thread be the
UCI is bad, there I said it!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:35 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 pm
Isn't the UCI responsible for that? So shouldn't the title of this thread be the
UCI is bad, there I said it!
indeed
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

tjvirden wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:50 pm
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 pm
mgrl wrote:
Lol! :D

It really is isn't it!
Good work.
I was up until 5 Am working on Russian language studies, woke up, and wrote this is in a stroke of genius while looking at my fixie

RussellS

by RussellS

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm
(and don't make this a bloodfest or tell me how derailleurs allow for faster shifting or how derailleurs can be finely adjusted for better modulation).
BUT, do derailleurs shift faster than internal gear hubs? That is a very very very important question that must be answered for the betterment of the whole world. I've only used three speed bikes with hub gears. But its been 35 years since I rode one. So I cannot really remember how fast they shifted or not. And back in the 1980s shifting speed was not too much of a concern because all derailleurs were friction. You got faster shifts by moving your fingers faster. Is an internal gear hub faster shifting than a 3 speed hub? What about a Rohloff hub? I've never seen a Rohloff myself. And I think Shimano makes some internal gear hubs. How fast do they shift compared to derailleurs? And then throw in electronic derailleurs in addition to mechanical derailleurs. ????????????

alanyu

by alanyu

RussellS wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:38 pm
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm
(and don't make this a bloodfest or tell me how derailleurs allow for faster shifting or how derailleurs can be finely adjusted for better modulation).
BUT, do derailleurs shift faster than internal gear hubs? That is a very very very important question that must be answered for the betterment of the whole world. I've only used three speed bikes with hub gears. But its been 35 years since I rode one. So I cannot really remember how fast they shifted or not. And back in the 1980s shifting speed was not too much of a concern because all derailleurs were friction. You got faster shifts by moving your fingers faster. Is an internal gear hub faster shifting than a 3 speed hub? What about a Rohloff hub? I've never seen a Rohloff myself. And I think Shimano makes some internal gear hubs. How fast do they shift compared to derailleurs? And then throw in electronic derailleurs in addition to mechanical derailleurs. ????????????
I had a Shimano internal 8 spd trekking bike and a 10 spd alu road bike three years ago. Shimano internal gear hub shifts faster than derailleurs. It's not about mechanical or electronic, (Shiman also has Di2 internal system), but the epicyclic gearing naturally moves faster than the chain when shifting.

The problems of internal hubs are high weight, high ratio gap and low power efficiency. These makes internal hubs a no go for a racing bike.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Derailleurs are bad!, there i said it. Don't make this a bloodfest, but actually have a bloodfest anyway and get the thread locked. Someone wrong on the internet darling, not coming to bed yet.

Broady

by Broady

In all seriousness I'd kill for a light efficient Rohloff style hub or gearbox.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Broady wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 am
I'm pretty sure that if you want a light, efficient hub gear, that the Rohloff can't be improved much. For what it offers it's not a bad weight!

Broady

by Broady

tjvirden wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:47 am
Broady wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 am
I'm pretty sure that if you want a light, efficient hub gear, that the Rohloff can't be improved much. For what it offers it's not a bad weight!
Yeah true, I kinda meant if Shimano etc put their minds to a Pinion style gearbox and completely refined it. Obviously current issues are drag / weight but if you had some top engineers working on it - could be a gamechanger. Centralised weight, perfect chainline, more aero (in theory) removing derailleurs and cassette you could really narrow the rear end too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com