I miss rim brakes! There, I said it...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Maybe myself and many others on here are just very lucky.

I've never had to remove a calliper to service an integrated headset, and find it takes less than a minute to get the calliper aligned perfectly when installing.

As for the QC on bikes, again, we all must be very lucky since I've never had to blame a manufacturer for my incapabilities.

Yours truly,
Mr Lucky
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Etienne

by Etienne

ryanw wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 am
I've never had to remove a calliper to service an integrated headset, and find it takes less than a minute to get the calliper aligned perfectly when installing.
It's probably wrong to say that you need to remove the caliper to service an integrated headset ... but I guess you still have to disconnect somewhere to change the lower bearing, particularly on large frames, am I right ?

And yes, aligning a caliper can be a challenge ... depends on the brand, the model and can be a problem with frame surfacing (easy to solve, but tools are very very expensive for a recreationnal builder) or with the positionning of brake hose exits, putting too much "pressure" on hoses and meaning you have to fiddle with alignment, step by step, and that takes time.

I am a recreationnal builder, and I claim to be a good one ... but hydro brakes are not that easy to work with. I think they have their pros and cons, exactly as rim brakes, but ease of installation is not their first benefit.

Please stop that contempt trend that's killing WW as many others fora.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgrl

by mgrl

There would be less irritation if we didn't have a new iteration of the pointless "disc vs rim" threads quite so frequently; the previous one was locked only a few hours before this one started.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Matt14 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:46 am
After what can only be described as a faff........
OP, it seems that your problems are not to do with brakes, but integrated (hidden) cabling :wink:

"Race" bikes are supposed to be fast, not easy to work on :thumbup:
I think it might be worth you getting a bike with rim brakes and external cabling - it may be a less frustrating experience......
Just a consideration.

Etienne

by Etienne

mgrl wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:25 am
There would be less irritation if we didn't have a new iteration of the pointless "disc vs rim" threads quite so frequently; the previous one was locked only a few hours before this one started.
Probably !! ... but let's face it, calm and balanded debate could happen, it's just that opposition, irritation and contempt have become the "way to go" :roll:

OK, enough talking, time to go for a ride ... :mrgreen:

neeb

by neeb

I agree with the OP and most of the comments here. Of course, the reason that disc vs. rim threads pop up so frequently is that they are locked so frequently, often just because of the subject itself, not because the debate got particularly heated. Doubtless robbosmans will be along in a minute to lock this one.

There is an ongoing valid debate to be had, because of the imbalance between what a sizeable proportion of people believe is optimal for a pure road bike and what the industry is providing.

If you don't want to talk about this you can just ignore those threads, rather than dropping in to make cheap ad hominem jibes that contribute nothing and sow dissent. The mods would do better to focus on those sorts of comments rather than on the subject.

MikeD

by MikeD

neeb wrote:I agree with the OP and most of the comments here. Of course, the reason that disc vs. rim threads pop up so frequently is that they are locked so frequently, often just because of the subject itself, not because the debate got particularly heated. Doubtless robbosmans will be along in a minute to lock this one.

There is an ongoing valid debate to be had, because of the imbalance between what a sizeable proportion of people believe is optimal for a pure road bike and what the industry is providing.

If you don't want to talk about this you can just ignore those threads, rather than dropping in to make cheap ad hominem jibes that contribute nothing and sow dissent. The mods would do better to focus on those sorts of comments rather than on the subject.
Agreed. Censorship is what it is. Why should an on topic, civil discussion be locked, like the one on mechanical shifting being phased out?

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Road disc is faster because the rims are lighter as you dont need to worry about braking surface plus you can run hookless road technology which is the latest.

I think hookless road disc wheels are the best thing ever.

People complain about rubbing rotors etc but they just havent set up their calipers properly. You literally only have to do it once and then dont worry about it again.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Lewn777

by Lewn777

What makes you go faster? Good fitness and less mostly body weight. Bike not really so much.

I just want a bike that's easy for me to work on with a handful of tools in the middle of nowhere. I might give away a few seconds here and there by having less tech/aero, I want to use my bike for lightweight bike-packing so this need to charge multiple devices and top-up with this and that just isn't for me at all.

Seems the bike industry wants new bikes to be annoying to work on and wants to phase in all sorts of irritating cable routing, electronic shifting, tubeless tires and mountain bike brakes with ever higher price tags. More tech = higher price = more profit, it's obvious. Tekr it back to the factory to get the software reprogrammed and get it 'serviced' don't tell the customer what a service entails, they might complain if the know they paid $200 for a brake bleed, make it like the car industry. What's the point of all this nonsense when a basic bike with fast tires and a waxed chain can do 98% of what a high tech super bike can? If we were riding motos it would make sense, obviously a Ducati 1000c twin is far faster than a 125cc single cylinder, but in cycling you're the engine.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

How many disc/rim threads do I need to lock this week???

Ride what you want to ride, NOBODY CARES.