Aero wheels for a poor man

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

So before you'all get mad, I did check other posts but my situation and budget did not really fit the other chats.
Short story long,
I have a 8500$ CAD budget for a bike and wheels and I spent $7500 of it already on a new S5 frame and a new set of Ultegra di2 built on it (including the cost of build and etc).

I have $1000 CAD left (800 usd) to buy a set of wheels which I prefer to be aero obviously since the bike is too.
My options are used wheels or new wheels from the UK but have to consider tax/duty as well within the budget.

Here are what I found:

1) DT Swiss PR1600 Spline 32mm disc - New $529 CAD + duty/shipping.
Good wheels with DT350 hub. Not light at 1740g and not deep, but they fit the budget

2) DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut 21mm disc - New $700CAD + Duty/Shipping
Also good wheels with the better DT240 hubs and light at around 1450g. They are not deep at all. Really weird to have these on the S5 no?

3) EnergyLab VC40 disc - Used around $700 CAD local pickup.
Apparently it only weighs 1450g. I don't know this brand although many bike shops in Toronto used to sell it. I've heard rumors that they rebrand chinese carbon.

I wish I could afford a set of hunts or other premium budget wheels but I'm not sure what else I can afford for this budget. I'd love to hear you out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Check out the Everything Wheels thread but this is where you will probably end up. More bang for the buck than most.

A couple of options. These two companies can do just about anything you want and good price points.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-Grave ... tible.html

https://www.wheelsfar.com/kaze-disc-28m ... p0080.html
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

If time is money and you need a wheelset NOW. Options you listed are good.
If you are okay with waiting over a month perhaps two, Light-bicycle WR50, AR56, WR65 are some great options.
Select DT-swiss 350 hub (or Bitex, if you want it light and cheap), you can cheap out on Pillar bladed spokes or spend extra for Sapim CX-ray/CX-Sprint.

spartacus

by spartacus

You could always get a set of shallow wheels for now like PR1600 or 1800 23mm for cheap then eventually upgrade. Unless you buy from one of the chinese sites $800 might not go very far towards carbon aero wheels. It's good to have backup wheels anyway.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Lightbicycle is a great suggestion and if you really need cheap I have a set of iCan Aero40's on one bike and I like them alot for what they cost.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

MC356

by MC356

Agree with Lightbicycle or wheelsfar, also check out https://btlos.com/ I have a set of XC wheels from them and they have been flawless for almost 3 years now!
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

So I've gotten a quote from all these companies, and they end up being around $1300+ CAD after duty and shipping and tax.
Wouldn't it be worth it to just wait to get a set of used Bora Ones or Zipp or something of a more accomplished brand name for that money?
I mean, they are disc brake wheels and I don't have to worry about the brake surface being worn.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nothing wrong with used in good condition. Just do your research to understand exactly what internal and external dimemsion you want.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Maddie

by Maddie

There are two huge threads about Lightbycicle and Farsports wheels. Plenty of new wheelsets available that would fit your budget.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roozbeh60 wrote:So before you'all get mad, I did check other posts but my situation and budget did not really fit the other chats.
Short story long,
I have a 8500$ CAD budget for a bike and wheels and I spent $7500 of it already on a new S5 frame and a new set of Ultegra di2 built on it (including the cost of build and etc).

I have $1000 CAD left (800 usd) to buy a set of wheels which I prefer to be aero obviously since the bike is too.
My options are used wheels or new wheels from the UK but have to consider tax/duty as well within the budget.

Here are what I found:

1) DT Swiss PR1600 Spline 32mm disc - New $529 CAD + duty/shipping.
Good wheels with DT350 hub. Not light at 1740g and not deep, but they fit the budget

2) DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut 21mm disc - New $700CAD + Duty/Shipping
Also good wheels with the better DT240 hubs and light at around 1450g. They are not deep at all. Really weird to have these on the S5 no?

3) EnergyLab VC40 disc - Used around $700 CAD local pickup.
Apparently it only weighs 1450g. I don't know this brand although many bike shops in Toronto used to sell it. I've heard rumors that they rebrand chinese carbon.

I wish I could afford a set of hunts or other premium budget wheels but I'm not sure what else I can afford for this budget. I'd love to hear you out.
Whatever you choose, try to pick a wheel that’s at least 50mm deep minimum since you’re on a full blown aero bike. 60-65 be best for the setup.

DTSwiss or Bitex hubs are great options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Roozbeh60 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:28 pm
So I've gotten a quote from all these companies, and they end up being around $1300+ CAD after duty and shipping and tax.
Wouldn't it be worth it to just wait to get a set of used Bora Ones or Zipp or something of a more accomplished brand name for that money?
Well, LB WR65 is better than Zipp 303S and Firecrest anyway. Maybe similar lvl to NSW. Bora One is quite narrow too which works fine if you like narrow tires but for 28mm you better get LB or wider wheels.
So, even if it cost more. You get pretty much the top quality wheels.
Also, They normally declare wheel price for $200 on the package...

emotive

by emotive

Roozbeh60 wrote:So I've gotten a quote from all these companies, and they end up being around $1300+ CAD after duty and shipping and tax.
I mean, they are disc brake wheels and I don't have to worry about the brake surface being worn.
With the number of people riding increasing so much in the last 18 months it will be hard to find a good used set at a reasonable price.

I don’t think you will find more aero wheels for CAD 1300 than the Light Bicycle AR56 or WR65. These companies have built a strong reputation over the last 5 years. So many happy customers and rock solid reliability. Do some research and you will see why they are growing so fast. They have a Canadian division that can supply locally to you too.

Talsuwaidi

by Talsuwaidi

winspace hyper wheels? or the lower end luns? should be very close to bdget and great wheels..

warthog101

by warthog101

I have the rim braked version of these. Pretty happy with them. Strong and well priced.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-v3 ... c-wheelset

cberg

by cberg

Farsports or lightbicycle on DT Swiss 350 are the best "budget" carbon wheels imo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com