Shimano phases out mechanical shifting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mocs123

by Mocs123

For Di2 105 could they just rebadge the 11s Ultegra Di2 as Di2 105 and make the additional speed of Ultegra and Dura Ace the differnce?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:32 pm
For Di2 105 could they just rebadge the 11s Ultegra Di2 as Di2 105 and make the additional speed of Ultegra and Dura Ace the differnce?
Shimano can’t really play that game since Rival AXS is 12spd. Besides, GRX desperately needs to go 12spd and 105 is the only mechanical road counterpart that can share that tech now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

tjvirden wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:28 am
Lina wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:08 am
No one was buying high end mechanical Shimano groups. Mechanical Shimano STIs have never been that good in terms of shifting feel, Di2 is a clear improvement to mechanical Shimano. Compare to Campy and you see more mechanical than EPS groups out there in the wild. Those Campy levers just have so much better feel for shifting than Shimano has.
Definitely agreeing on the first bit (I'm an exception in that if I had to choose between my 11 speed Di2 groupset and my R9100 then the 9100 gets my vote!). I think the "shifting feel" is personal preference tbh.

However, EPS has been so much more money than Campy mechanical - where I am - that it's not a fair comparison.
When you're talking about +$10k bikes with mechanical SR the cost difference between mechanical and EPS isn't in any way relevant part of the conversation.

DHG01

by DHG01

Lina wrote:
No one was buying high end mechanical Shimano groups. Mechanical Shimano STIs have never been that good in terms of shifting feel, Di2 is a clear improvement to mechanical Shimano. Compare to Campy and you see more mechanical than EPS groups out there in the wild. Those Campy levers just have so much better feel for shifting than Shimano has.
Mmmm...not sure. I find Shimano mechanical extremely good. In general, I don't need as much adjustment on Shimano levers to feel comfortable as I do with Campy.

Quite a few of us have opted for Campy 12 for mechanical (might have done it anyway, but I was left out of a choice). Though you are probably right Di2 was selling a lot more than mechanical within 91XX - and can't imagine how much more profitable it is.

spartacus

by spartacus

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:30 am
Mechanical isn't going away. In the last 12 months I've bought three new bikes for my family, and all three came with GRX mechanical groups. They work superbly well and it's the ideal group for a mid-range bike. One of the three bikes has gone through many crashes. But everthing still works as good as new. I won't be surprised if GRX mechanical outsells D.A. and Ultegra mechanical combined. The GRX has to be the bread and butter group for Shimano. Gravel is the fastest growing segment.

And everything Shimano makes for 12-speed MTB is still mechanical only.
GRX is probably a good choice for road bikes too IMHO. Like why would you even pick 105 over GRX?

Maddie

by Maddie

Because not everyone wants or needs gravel gears on a roadbike.

GS100

by GS100

Lina wrote:
Exactly this. Electronic Shimano is a definite improvement over it's mechanical version, good though it was. EPS is great but mech Campag still has a unique appeal for many - light, fast ergonomic shifting, multiple gear dumps which move at the first lever stroke as opposed to on the return (as Shimano always did I think).

And fortunately not a bloodfest because, unlike the other subject, certain people haven't yet starting slagging off the other side #eyeroll

spartacus

by spartacus

Maddie wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm
Because not everyone wants or needs gravel gears on a roadbike.
Can't really argue with that lol.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Came here for a "bloodfest", sorely disappointed. My main ride is Di2, but every time I get back on my Red 22 or Red 10 speed, I am always so impressed with the shifting. Sad to see it go. A some point a ten cent plastic piece will break and it will cost me four grand to get the bikes going again. Also nice to have an 1800 gram groupset on a winter hack bike.

The one application that I still want mechanical (and rim brake - oooh, bloodfest maybe :D ) is for travel. I need to be able to easily repair anything on the road with the tools in my pocket, or do a rebuild in a hotel room with the tools and parts in my luggage. External cable routing also for that reason. Primitive but foolproof.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Beto - XC

by Beto - XC

I believe these last mechanical DA 9100 will worth some good money in the future in the hand of collectors...by the way I have one and not planning to get rid of it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Beto - XC wrote:I believe these last mechanical DA 9100 will worth some good money in the future in the hand of collectors...by the way I have one and not planning to get rid of it.
Lol they won’t, they are mass produced

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Beto - XC wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:15 pm
I believe these last mechanical DA 9100 will worth some good money in the future in the hand of collectors...by the way I have one and not planning to get rid of it.
Agree. I have my 9100 mint condition just sitting now. Last mech group will no question be valuable. Di2.....not so much.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

rollinslow

by rollinslow

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Beto - XC wrote:I believe these last mechanical DA 9100 will worth some good money in the future in the hand of collectors...by the way I have one and not planning to get rid of it.
No its not. There are not many of the compelete mech groups out there and in 10 years there will be about zero in good shape. This one's just common sense. Last of any top-shelf item that isn't an electronic will be valuable to someone.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:31 am
robbosmans wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 pm
No its not. There are not many of the compelete mech groups out there and in 10 years there will be about zero in good shape. This one's just common sense. Last of any top-shelf item that isn't an electronic will be valuable to someone.

It's mostly plastic, mass-produced in a large factory by non-artisan laborers. It doesn't have the mystique or clout as some anniversary edition or a NOS older Campy Record group. Some pristine old cars don't hold their value. No one gives a shit if an early 2000s E-Class is in immaculate condition, but an old 911 that needs restoration is still going to set you back.

30 years from now, I can't see someone building a "period" bike out of 2020s parts...it's all commodity hardware.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I don't see any reason why 9100 would get any real collection value if you compare it to any other vintage Shimano road groupsets.

Example first gen 8sp STI 740x full groupset in mint condition go very cheap (like 500€?) compared to the same era Campagnolo. Have one STI 740x set from 1990 in mint condition on my Colnago Master and am still surprised how well it shifts even with 30 years old cables, a lot smoother than any modern Sram mechanic groupset.

Hopefully Campagnolo don't follow this trend to full electric as being mechanic fan. I don't want/need anything else electonic on my bike than bike computer as I just ride for my own fun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com