Shimano phases out mechanical shifting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

This is for Dura Ace and Ultegra.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I hate to see mechanical shifting go, but two out of my 3 bikes are Di2 and I can't imagine going back. The only bike I have that is still mechanical is a gravel bike that usually lives on the trainer.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

It's not surprising - I think it won't be long until most major high-end bikes become electronic shifting only, so this is just speeding up the process. Given that customer demand is overwhelmingly in favour of Di2, it doesn't make sense to keep developing mechanical.

I think, logically, 105 Di2 probably has to be in the pipeline to fill the pricing gap between 105 mechanical and Ultegra Di2 (and to compete with Rival AXS).

fastezzie

by fastezzie

I'm disappointed only because 9100 mechanical shifting was so dang good. Combined with sealed cables, it just works. And no batteries.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

This is old news now but yes, Shimano is now only elecronic at the level of groupsets I'm interested in. My opinion is that by being electronic only, they released a product inferior to SRAM in that 2021 electronics should be wireless. Now, several years late to the 12spd game and essentially a half-assed new group (no new rotors, only 10% improved pad spacing, 1:1 gear only if you use an ultegra cassette whereas SR12 gets a true 1:1 SR level;, GRX crankset except polished to gloss, ugly shifters, etc) made me lose interest. They had 5 years to perfect this stuff. I feel that Shimano is now a late to the game tech company. Strong opinon from me but I also listended to the Shimano USA folks talking on Marginal Gains and on Cycling Tips and I thought they were just acting pretentious. I've basically taken all my DA groups off bikes and switched to Campy.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Absolutely nobody in my region was buying mechanical DA, so I'm not surprised that it's gone. Ditching mechanical Ultegra was a bolder move, though I guess that means we can expect 12spd mechanical and Di2 105 fairly soon.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Mechanical isn't going away. In the last 12 months I've bought three new bikes for my family, and all three came with GRX mechanical groups. They work superbly well and it's the ideal group for a mid-range bike. One of the three bikes has gone through many crashes. But everthing still works as good as new. I won't be surprised if GRX mechanical outsells D.A. and Ultegra mechanical combined. The GRX has to be the bread and butter group for Shimano. Gravel is the fastest growing segment.

And everything Shimano makes for 12-speed MTB is still mechanical only.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:30 am
Mechanical isn't going away. In the last 12 months I've bought three new bikes for my family, and all three came with GRX mechanical groups. They work superbly well and it's the ideal group for a mid-range bike. One of the three bikes has gone through many crashes. But everthing still works as good as new. I won't be surprised if GRX mechanical outsells D.A. and Ultegra mechanical combined. The GRX has to be the bread and butter group for Shimano. Gravel is the fastest growing segment.

Yeah, all of the above is definitely worth bearing in mind - there's no way mechanical shifting is disappearing as a whole. For top-end road, Shimano and SRAM have dropped mech already, but the electric shifting is still so expensive and I don't see that changing. For Shimano to offer 4 versions of 9100 was amazing, but no surprise 9200 doesn't. Surely GRX mechanical will be offered in 12 speed and so why not 105 too?
Last edited by tjvirden on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

pdlpsher1 wrote:Mechanical isn't going away. In the last 12 months I've bought three new bikes for my family, and all three came with GRX mechanical groups. They work superbly well and it's the ideal group for a mid-range bike. One of the three bikes has gone through many crashes. But everthing still works as good as new. I won't be surprised if GRX mechanical outsells D.A. and Ultegra mechanical combined. The GRX has to be the bread and butter group for Shimano. Gravel is the fastest growing segment.

Isn’t XTR Di2 electronic in top-end?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kode54 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 am

Isn’t XTR Di2 electronic in top-end?

The current 12spd XTR has no Di2 version.

Lina

by Lina

No one was buying high end mechanical Shimano groups. Mechanical Shimano STIs have never been that good in terms of shifting feel, Di2 is a clear improvement to mechanical Shimano. Compare to Campy and you see more mechanical than EPS groups out there in the wild. Those Campy levers just have so much better feel for shifting than Shimano has.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There was a marked improvement in front shifting feel with R9100/8000/7000, but personally I never liked how STI gives the brake lever 2-axis movement. But yes, mech DA died at the hands of UDi2.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

1. Dura-Ace r9100 mechanical was already a dead groupset, not enough sales to keep that alive.

2. Ultegra still has a mechanical option albeit not 12s, but r8000 is still being produced and isn’t going anywhere.

Mod note: I don’t see the point of this thread (the title doesn’t help), I will keep an eye on it.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Lina wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:08 am
No one was buying high end mechanical Shimano groups. Mechanical Shimano STIs have never been that good in terms of shifting feel, Di2 is a clear improvement to mechanical Shimano. Compare to Campy and you see more mechanical than EPS groups out there in the wild. Those Campy levers just have so much better feel for shifting than Shimano has.
Definitely agreeing on the first bit (I'm an exception in that if I had to choose between my 11 speed Di2 groupset and my R9100 then the 9100 gets my vote!). I think the "shifting feel" is personal preference tbh.

However, EPS has been so much more money than Campy mechanical - where I am - that it's not a fair comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

What worries me a little is what happens to the bikes in the 2.000-3500€ range. Mechanical Ultegra 11s has been the most popular option in these for many years, and there is no proper replacement in the current shimano lineup (other than still selling the old 11s version, which I suppose they'll do for a while). If there is an electronic 105 at the mechanical Ultegra price point, it can't be too good or Ultegra and Dura Ace will look overpriced in comparison, so I would expect some major drawbacks (like being obscenely heavy, the Rival AXS way).