Shimano phases out mechanical shifting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I was always a Shimano fan until I saw the light with campy and how Shimano became so incredibly out dated during the last 5 years since 9100. Sram is pushing the wireless boundaries, campy is now at 13 speed mech and has th lowest weight groupset (Ekar), and here is Shimano 5 years late with a pretty simple group. I won't be surprised if Sram takes over the electronic segment completely.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

tjvirden

by tjvirden

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:46 am
rollinslow wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:31 am
robbosmans wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Beto - XC wrote:I believe these last mechanical DA 9100 will worth some good money in the future in the hand of collectors...by the way I have one and not planning to get rid of it.
Lol they won’t, they are mass produced
No its not. There are not many of the compelete mech groups out there and in 10 years there will be about zero in good shape. This one's just common sense. Last of any top-shelf item that isn't an electronic will be valuable to someone.

It's mostly plastic, mass-produced in a large factory by non-artisan laborers.
It doesn't have the mystique or clout as some anniversary edition or a NOS older Campy Record group. Some pristine old cars don't hold their value. No one gives a shit if an early 2000s E-Class is in immaculate condition, but an old 911 that needs restoration is still going to set you back.

30 years from now, I can't see someone building a "period" bike out of 2020s parts...it's all commodity hardware.
I don't think R9100, or any other bike stuff really, will be a way to make money, but I can see little used 91xx stuff holding value well just because of its function.

I'm not sure your 911 analogy works too well :)....... it is made from a lot of plastic and steel, mass-produced in a large factory by non-artisan laborers! Amazingly it's still a desirable vehicle for many - Porsche understand their customers very well indeed, and fit the marketing accordingly :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Can we stop with these f**king click bait s**t threads.

Disc / rim
Tubeless / tube / tub
Mech / electronic
Shimano / SRAM / Campy

We all have our preferences, views and opinions. Keep it at that, no arguing or bellend behaviour.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

robbosmans

by robbosmans

This thread is open again.

G104xG320

by G104xG320

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:38 pm
I was always a Shimano fan until I saw the light with campy and how Shimano became so incredibly out dated during the last 5 years since 9100. Sram is pushing the wireless boundaries, campy is now at 13 speed mech and has th lowest weight groupset (Ekar), and here is Shimano 5 years late with a pretty simple group. I won't be surprised if Sram takes over the electronic segment completely.
Shimano still has the best reliability and weight in the electronic groupset shifting parts.

As a weight weenie, I have to say the weight control for SRAM AXS is certainly terrible.

For reliability, maybe I shall out this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

G104xG320 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:12 am

Shimano still has the best reliability and weight in the electronic groupset shifting parts.

As a weight weenie, I have to say the weight control for SRAM AXS is certainly terrible.

For reliability, maybe I shall out this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

Meh, how often do you hear about Di2 going into crash mode, or see pros kicking their Di2 RDs?

Anyway, this is about mechanical groups and nothing chews through a shifter cable faster than STI.

I can’t think of any single component on a modern build that isn’t a commodity part with zero sentimental value at this point. Maybe my White Industries hubs aren’t, but that’s it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

not only components.. frames too. I have more attachment to a great fitting set of bibs then any of my modern bikes. Now a Mavic 851 rear derailluer .. I'll build a bike around that.

probably why I'm always looking at some custom english or Ti bike thinking.. now that I can keep forever.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Glad to see this thread open. It never should be closed when some of us just want to talk mech/electronic. If you don't like it, don't censor others who are entertained or interested. This switch is a big deal and the dust hasn't fully settled yet.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The rumors of mechanical's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Mech DA stopped existing because hardly anyone actually wanted it (at the going rate anyway.) Who among us uses R9100 mechanical? Nobody? Okay, we're all part of the problem then. Mech Ultegra stopped existing because...well I guess Shimano is being a bit aggressive here because people still bought mech Ultegra bikes. The reality is that 105 is virtually the same except for a bushing in a pulley wheel, heavier cranks/chainrings, etc.

I don't think Shimano goes all-in like SRAM...they literally reversed course with M9100, leaving it mech only.

If there is demand, then Shimano will make it...they're the most practical, regimented of the big three brands.

Besides the only parts unique to a mechanical groupset are the shifters and derailleurs. Would be funny if Shimano decides to sell lightened versions of those three parts as "R7100 SL" or something non-series ala RS505 shifters and RS500 cranks... same basic position in the hierarchy as Ultegra with a different name. Or we just see an increased number of bikes ship with 105 shifters/derailleurs, but Ultegra cranks, cassettes, chains, disc calipers, rotors, etc. since the difference is so slight.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Almost everyone I ride with is on mechanical.
There's been an uptick in electronic since the cheaper (ha!) AXS groups became more widely available though.
The exception seems to be those who don't pay for their own kit.
I'm expecting to see a big shift though as mechanical group sets and spare parts become less easily available

Lina

by Lina

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:46 am
rollinslow wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:31 am
robbosmans wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Beto - XC wrote:I believe these last mechanical DA 9100 will worth some good money in the future in the hand of collectors...by the way I have one and not planning to get rid of it.
Lol they won’t, they are mass produced
No its not. There are not many of the compelete mech groups out there and in 10 years there will be about zero in good shape. This one's just common sense. Last of any top-shelf item that isn't an electronic will be valuable to someone.

It's mostly plastic, mass-produced in a large factory by non-artisan laborers. It doesn't have the mystique or clout as some anniversary edition or a NOS older Campy Record group. Some pristine old cars don't hold their value. No one gives a shit if an early 2000s E-Class is in immaculate condition, but an old 911 that needs restoration is still going to set you back.

30 years from now, I can't see someone building a "period" bike out of 2020s parts...it's all commodity hardware.
Mint condition W211 E55 AMG will set you back quite a bit. Hell, even a pristine, low mileage E500 (4MATIC) will set you back quite a bit for an almost 20 year old car.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lina wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 am

Mint condition W211 E55 AMG will set you back quite a bit. Hell, even a pristine, low mileage E500 (4MATIC) will set you back quite a bit for an almost 20 year old car.

This got me curious. The average sale price for a W211 E55 AMG seems to be between 3-4x lower than a 993 Carrera, and Turbos are lol. What's more interesting is that average sales prices have been flat for the Mercedes, but going up for the Porsches.

No it's not a perfect analogy, but I think the point remains that R9100 is more W211 than 993.

Lina

by Lina

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:43 am
Lina wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 am

This got me curious. The average sale price for a W211 E55 AMG seems to be between 3-4x lower than a 993 Carrera, and Turbos are lol. What's more interesting is that average sales prices have been flat for the Mercedes, but going up for the Porsches.
Yeah didn't mean to compare them to Porches in terms of price. But they're still definitely in a price category where you won't accidentally buy one because there happens to be one at the shop you went to and you needed a car. While the lower end models can be had for what you'd expect for a 20 year old car. Just like with the Porches it's so expensive that you specifically want one of them if you do buy one. Instead of it happening to be the car you bought because that's what you found when looking for a car.

smokva

by smokva

Shimano made a weird choice here.
Yes, noone was buying mechanical DA any more, but mechanical Ultegra was selling like crazy. In 12 speed world they should have one top tier electric and one top tier mechanical groupset and also in medium segment they should have one mechanical and one electric.
Choice for top tier electric group is obvious Dura-Ace, with good pricing Ultegra can cover both segments of mechanical market (top-tier and medium segment). For choice of chheper electric group between Ultegra and 105 they would probably chose Ultegra because it will share lot of components with mechanical one and can be sold more expensive than 105.
105 needs to be refreshed in line with new Dura-Ace and Ultegra, but I would leave it 11 speed in both mechanical and electrical. It would need to be compatible with current 11 speed groupsets so it can be used as source of spare parts for current 11 speed, both mechanical and electric. With this Shimano can discointinue DA-9100/9150 and Ultegra 8000/8050 groupsets
So if I was Shimano this is how I would orhganize market:
1. Dura Ace 9250 12 speed electric
2. Ultegra 8150 12 speed electric
3. Ultegra 8100 12 speed mechanical
4. 105 7150 11 speed electric
5. 105 7100 11 speed mechanical

More or less this is what I would expect from Shimano.

With Shimano's choice of disbanding mechanical, problems with supply channels and ridiculous 12 speed pricing I think Campagnolo has doors opened for big come back, if they play their cards smart.
So, from Campagnolo I expect in a year or two something like this.
1. Super Record 13 speed electric
2. Record 13 speed mechanical
3. Chorus 12 speed electrical
4. Chorus 12 speed mechanical

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:The rumors of mechanical's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Mech DA stopped existing because hardly anyone actually wanted it (at the going rate anyway.) Who among us uses R9100 mechanical? Nobody? Okay, we're all part of the problem then.
Isn't this a case like with rim brake bikes, i.e., few new bikes are being offered with mechanical DA, so what choice does a buyer have? I don't know, as I'm not in the market for a new bike and certainly wouldn't buy a DA equipped one. I have several Ultegra equipped bikes, but my latest was 105, and it shifts just as good.
Last edited by MikeD on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com