Wheels MFG BB creaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Hi
Just installed a new Wheels thread-together style PF30 > GXP bb in my bike, with a SRAM carbon GXP crank. Followed directions and greased where appropriate. Everything looks perfect and the cups and crank bolt is tight. First ride today and it creaks with every pedal stroke. Aluminum Specialized frame FWIW.

Has anyone had similar experience with this BB and been able to resolve it? If not, can you recommend a replacement that would work? Thank you!

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

fastezzie wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:38 am
Hi
Just installed a new Wheels thread-together style PF30 > GXP bb in my bike, with a SRAM carbon GXP crank. Followed directions and greased where appropriate. Everything looks perfect and the cups and crank bolt is tight. First ride today and it creaks with every pedal stroke. Aluminum Specialized frame FWIW.

Has anyone had similar experience with this BB and been able to resolve it? If not, can you recommend a replacement that would work? Thank you!
I've had one of these in my gravel bike for the last 3 years. It's been great, although did require retightening after a few thousand KM (the whole BB was shifting in the frame)

I would recommend taking it back out and pressing it in again very carefully - if the first side wasn't pressed in straight the entire BB won't be sitting properly and it will creak. Then just make sure it's properly torqued up and it should be fine. Lots of anti seize will help quiet down any residual creaks too. Unfortunately if your frame BB hole is way out of spec this style of BB won't fix that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Thank you. I will try re installing with anti sieze. No problem with the bike AFAIK as it was quiet with my previous crank and pressfit (non threaded) bottom bracket.

tomato

by tomato

Every time I've had a creak that I thought was due to the bottom bracket, it turned out to be the seat post and/or saddle.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I use a Wheels Mfg thread together bb and I have found that a few rides after initial installation it needs to be re-tightened. Re-installing with anti-seize is a good idea. Pay attention to recommended torque - IIRC it is 35 to 50 nm which is really tight. As noted the noise could come from elsewhere, I recommend to eliminate quick release and headset as a source of noise before messing with your bb.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Removed the BB and cleaned everything up. The cups slide into the frame very easily by hand and there's a small but significant amount of wiggle room when installed (before threading together obviously). What's the next step? Loctite? Praxis BB?

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

https://www.parktool.com/product/adhesive-primer-ap-1
https://www.amazon.com/LOCTITE-Retainin ... 1CLZ&psc=1

Clean the bb shell surfaces well. Apply the Park primer onto the surface of the bb shell and on the cups. Then apply Loctite on top of the primer of both. Insert while still wet. Tighten cups to lightly snug. Do not overtighten. This may have been what caused the creaking in the first place. Somewhere around 20Nm should be adequate. This may eliminate the creak if not greatly diminish it.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Wheels Mfg instructs not to use loctite or any retaining compound. In fact they explicitly state that use of retaining compound will void any warranty. Retaining compound may solve the problem but the unit does not have an interior lip and as such is not designed to be tapped out. Getting it out may be a pia.

Praxis is a different system and may work where Wheels Mfg does not. Worth a try.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

My wheelsmfg BB30 Hollowtech BB also creak when going up hill in the small ring.

I've not checked it since installation, so glad I found this thread.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Is the solution.. a brand new bike? Don't make me do it! :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:55 am
Wheels Mfg instructs not to use loctite or any retaining compound. In fact they explicitly state that use of retaining compound will void any warranty. Retaining compound may solve the problem but the unit does not have an interior lip and as such is not designed to be tapped out. Getting it out may be a pia.

Praxis is a different system and may work where Wheels Mfg does not. Worth a try.
No concern about voiding a warranty or even removing the cups from the bike in the future. Bearings can be knocked out and replaced from the cups if needed. It's a cheap 2nd hand bike that I just want to shut up and let me cycle in peace!