Latest from Pogacar about rim vs disc - No Bloodfest - make it civil

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dolophonic wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 pm

To try to exclude the merits of rim breaks just shows how some peoples "älways right" mentality can be overbearing. This is a weight weenies forum after all.

Maybe I have a selective memory, but basically every one of these threads is started by someone who favors rim brakes. Disc brake fans know disc brakes are here to stay. We have no points to really argue. We have nothing to lose, so we don’t constantly make these threads to remind everyone that we still exist.

Once this is locked, it will only be a few weeks until another appears.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 pm
dolophonic wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 pm

To try to exclude the merits of rim breaks just shows how some peoples "älways right" mentality can be overbearing. This is a weight weenies forum after all.

Maybe I have a selective memory, but basically every one of these threads is started by someone who favors rim brakes. Disc brake fans know disc brakes are here to stay. We have no points to really argue. We have nothing to lose, so we don’t constantly make these threads to remind everyone that we still exist.

Once this is locked, it will only be a few weeks until another appears.
I've noticed this too, rim brake purists act like they are being persecuted and are standing up to big disc

Stueys

by Stueys

openwheelracing wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 am
It shouldn't matter if people are debating rim vs disc on a bike forum. Go enjoy another forum about Jazz then.
It matters because the market made the decision a few years back, there isn't anything left to discuss

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Stueys wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 pm
openwheelracing wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 am
It shouldn't matter if people are debating rim vs disc on a bike forum. Go enjoy another forum about Jazz then.
It matters because the market made the decision a few years back, there isn't anything left to discuss
Not in my market or anyone I know who actually knows road bikes. We love rim brake and weight matters. I think we will be discussing rim brake for a very lonnnnggggg time. Mark my words.

This thread is perfect example. You know you can't help yourself. I see the same names over and over

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

True. Classic steel bikes is still around so don't worry that rim brakes will disappear. Just ride whichever bike makes you happy.
Btw, there are still cars that uses drum brakes up to now.

robertbb

by robertbb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:48 am
I’ve changed my mind. I hope rim brakes completely disappear from the market so people stop posting new rim vs disc topics.
I haven't changed mine. I hope you (and a few others) completely disappear from these once-great forums.

I guess we all have to live with unfulfilled dreams.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Zakalwe wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm
I wonder how much the inferior rim version of DA12 impacted on Ineos’ decision
Hilarious.

Inferior how? Because it needs two extra wires and uses R9100 levers which are excellent?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ah, MWWGA. Make Weight Weenies Great Again.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Zakalwe wrote:
Are they inferior to begin with? IIRC, just extra wires and smaller hoods.

I believe the real cause of Ineos/UAE not fully switching to disc brakes yet is Italian brands such as Pinarello/Colnago/Bianchi being very rim-first. Campy also didn't know anything about discs, hence Magura. Those brands (or Italian generally?) love rims, and put their very best effort into rims first, then releasing disc versions by just placing the two caliper mounts.

Lina

by Lina

Cemicar wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:31 am
Zakalwe wrote:
Are they inferior to begin with? IIRC, just extra wires and smaller hoods.

I believe the real cause of Ineos/UAE not fully switching to disc brakes yet is Italian brands such as Pinarello/Colnago/Bianchi being very rim-first. Campy also didn't know anything about discs, hence Magura. Those brands (or Italian generally?) love rims, and put their very best effort into rims first, then releasing disc versions by just placing the two caliper mounts.
Campy also has the best road disc brakes of the big 3.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Would be interesting to see what the pros rode in a world without the 6.8 kg rule. I'd bet Pogacar would have something ridiculous.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

fastezzie wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:15 am
Would be interesting to see what the pros rode in a world without the 6.8 kg rule. I'd bet Pogacar would have something ridiculous.
Likewise if the UCI got rid of all the rules on tube shaping and geometry. On the flatter stages they may well actually ride much more aero but also *shock* heavier bikes!

ichobi

by ichobi

They disnt rid ALL aero shape rules. It’s still there and it doesn’t permit extreme of a design. Bikes won’t get that much aero than this. The current latest ones are still slower than the rim brake madone 9 and the Venge Vias (in the tunnel at least).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

Honestly, if this is your biggest point of frustration in your life, then you've done pretty well for yourself stress-wise.
Nobody in my ride group cares what the others use and long may it be this way.