Cervelo S5 or O2 VAM? Weird?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

I know this is s weird question but for the first time I'm spending over 8k on a bike (cad) and not sure if I'm making the right decision.

A bit of history. I've owned an R3 and a 2017 R5 (previous frame not including the version that hasn't been released). I loved them both but I've been very curious about aero bikes.

I ride in Aurora/Newmarket near Toronto where the average elevation is around 1% for the ride and lots of rolling hills. I average around 30kph on a 60km ride with around 500m elevation without draft.

I sold the R5 and want the next bike to have these features:
1- Integrated cockpit
2- disc brake
3- Electronic drivetrain (Prefer Shimano but SRAM is fine)

have come to love the S5 and would love to try it. I have heard it is super stiff but I feel like it will do fine for the Toronto terrain.

I've also heard many good things about the O2 VAM but it is another climbing bike. I'm worries that if I get the S5, I would have problems if I ever decide to take it to California or Vancouver or technically anywhere with long steep climbs.

I'm really confused and not sure which way to go. They both cost around 8-9k cad used.

Help me!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Though we are weightweenies very few of us truly believes that 200g in frame weight is gonna hold us back on the hills if we opt for a more aero/stiffer frame. Probably the advantage of a 'climbing' bike over an aero bike is in the geometry,; a long and low ride is probably not as comfortable over long distances up significant gradient.

My O2 VAM is really more of a light weight disc brakes project build for fun, but I find it more comfortable to climb on it with a slightly shorter reach than my other bike. Aero doesn't matter in a group ride or when I ride alone (solo rides are for pleasure not training), hence the pleasure of owning a nice light build outweighs an aero rig for me.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

IchDien

by IchDien

Some of the riders at Jumbo use their S5 even in hilly stages so if it's good enough for them!

Also it sounds like you prefer the S5 looks wise.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

IchDien wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:00 am
Some of the riders at Jumbo use their S5 even in hilly stages so if it's good enough for them!

Also it sounds like you prefer the S5 looks wise.
That doesn't mean it's good or good enough for us.
(Unless you have the same physical capacities)

IchDien

by IchDien

Eh? I'm trying to say that if riders with their experience and who want to win races choose that bike when they can ride pretty much any of the bikes Cervelo has to offer then evidently it's no slouch going uphill. Even Roglic rides the S5 in some hilly races when undoubtedly a climber like him would surely prefer the R5.

Are you honestly saying a pro tour bike isn't good enough for an amateur cyclist :noidea: ? At no point does the OP state that he's racing.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

For what it's worth, comparing my S3 (Aero) bike to a lightweight climbing bike, the S3 is faster in every situation, including long/steep alpine climbs, rolling hills, descents and flats., it does come with a weight penalty, but you do not notice unless it is super, super steep, which is less than <0.5% of riding for me.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Dont overlook the importance of feel, and that the experience of a pro with their higher level of power will not be the same as yours.

200g does not matter day to day, but feel really can have a big effect.

I like the look of both but would be nervous about buying without at least trying the S5 to see if it fits with your needs. My early experience with Cervelo aero was quite a disengaged one.

kode54

by kode54

I think a better comparison would be S5 and Ostro VAM. Although I doubt that you will have any issues with any of those based on your terrain.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kookie

by kookie

Is it possible to make the S5 lighter to make up the 200g difference? (upgrade wheelset, tires etc.)

I have both the R5 (2018) and S5 (2017) and ride in your area. Both are fine for the terrain.

The previous R5 (the one you sold) was stiff too so I'd figure you'd be used to the S5 stiffness as well.

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

kookie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Is it possible to make the S5 lighter to make up the 200g difference? (upgrade wheelset, tires etc.)

I have both the R5 (2018) and S5 (2017) and ride in your area. Both are fine for the terrain.

The previous R5 (the one you sold) was stiff too so I'd figure you'd be used to the S5 stiffness as well.
From reading all of the responses, I feel like S5 is not a show stopper for the hills but more of a comfort issue. I think I'm going to persue my goal of trying the S5 for a couple of years to see how I like it compared to a climbing bike. I'll share with you guys the experience. That is, if I can get my hands on one in this insane market.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roozbeh60 wrote:I know this is s weird question but for the first time I'm spending over 8k on a bike (cad) and not sure if I'm making the right decision.

A bit of history. I've owned an R3 and a 2017 R5 (previous frame not including the version that hasn't been released). I loved them both but I've been very curious about aero bikes.

I ride in Aurora/Newmarket near Toronto where the average elevation is around 1% for the ride and lots of rolling hills. I average around 30kph on a 60km ride with around 500m elevation without draft.

I sold the R5 and want the next bike to have these features:
1- Integrated cockpit
2- disc brake
3- Electronic drivetrain (Prefer Shimano but SRAM is fine)

have come to love the S5 and would love to try it. I have heard it is super stiff but I feel like it will do fine for the Toronto terrain.

I've also heard many good things about the O2 VAM but it is another climbing bike. I'm worries that if I get the S5, I would have problems if I ever decide to take it to California or Vancouver or technically anywhere with long steep climbs.

I'm really confused and not sure which way to go. They both cost around 8-9k cad used.

Help me!!
The consideration of a few trips a year to locals which have long steep climbs - shouldn’t be accounted for in all honesty. What’s it workout to? Less than 2% of your total riding time on the bike? The S5 be the best choice for the terrain north of Toronto and any rides in that area. Get a large cassette range for when you travel any where else. You’ll be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com