Chain stay crack advise needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Is there scouring between the inner chainring and chainstay along same radius as the scouring on FCC label?

May indicate something was lodged in there and compressed the chainstay to come out..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:45 pm
Is there scouring between the inner chainring and chainstay along same radius as the scouring on FCC label?

May indicate something was lodged in there and compressed the chainstay to come out..
There is no scouring between the inner chainring and chainstay. The scouring on the FCC label is not new. It came with the SRM Origin PM crankset that I bought used.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

survivor wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:27 pm
Some more photos added. I inspected the crack very closely yesterday, I believe I saw bare carbon cracks from some small area where the paint already peal off. Of cause I do not have a trained eye so I may be wrong. Will bring it to local bike shop for an assessment while waiting to hear back from the bike shop that I bought the bike from.
Those photos are perfect. Unfortunately, that chainstay is fundamentally damaged; the carbon is definitely cracked underneath the paint.
Although it is possible to repair, I think a replacement frame is going to be the easiest solution. A real nuisance in any case.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It's cracked. Interesting that it happened just ahead of the clear sticker. I'm guessing this probably happened on the trainer??

Zoom into the larger photos at 200% and it's clear. Sorry. It's cracked right at the joint of the chainstay and the BB, which is where a manufacturing defect is going to crack.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/516 ... d50a_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/516 ... a8a4_b.jpg

survivor

by survivor

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:21 pm
It's cracked. Interesting that it happened just ahead of the clear sticker. I'm guessing this probably happened on the trainer??
This bike was never on the trainer.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

That's pure junk then. I'd angle for a full refund

survivor

by survivor

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:24 pm
I like the bike and I guess it is just pure bad luck for getting a frame with a manufacturing defect. I'm willing to work with the bike shop on the warranty claim process. It will be a long and involved process. With the supply chain situation in the bike industry, I'm also not sure how soon would the replacement frame be available to me. The frame is with special paint scheme so that added additional challenges on availability. The bike shop has sent the photos to the bike manufacturer for assessment so hopefully I will have an update soon.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

What is the brand of the frame if you don't mind me asking?

RDY

by RDY

survivor wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:56 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:24 pm
I like the bike and I guess it is just pure bad luck for getting a frame with a manufacturing defect. I'm willing to work with the bike shop on the warranty claim process. It will be a long and involved process. With the supply chain situation in the bike industry, I'm also not sure how soon would the replacement frame be available to me. The frame is with special paint scheme so that added additional challenges on availability. The bike shop has sent the photos to the bike manufacturer for assessment so hopefully I will have an update soon.
It's not 'bad luck', it's bad quality with either absent or very low bar QC, assuming your assessment of riding and lack of incidents are correct. There would have been a serious void, delamination, poor bonding, or combination thereof from the factory. Consumers are so gaslit by the bike industry and media, don't stand for this shit.

What is lucky is that the bike, and by extension you, are still in one piece.

survivor

by survivor

RDY wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:35 am
It's not 'bad luck', it's bad quality with either absent or very low bar QC, assuming your assessment of riding and lack of incidents are correct. There would have been a serious void, delamination, poor bonding, or combination thereof from the factory. Consumers are so gaslit by the bike industry and media, don't stand for this shit.

What is lucky is that the bike, and by extension you, are still in one piece.
I totally agree. I could be in some serious life threatening danger if the chainstay broke off. I'm glad I decided to clean my bike the other day and decided to flip the bike around. If not I would not have discover the crack and potentially continue to ride the bike.

survivor

by survivor

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:11 am
What is the brand of the frame if you don't mind me asking?
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:34 am
Wilier?
Yes that is correct. It's a Wilier Filante SLR.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

FUBAR. Don't ride that frame.
Ride fast Take chances

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

After looking at the second set of images there's no doubt this is a warranty item. It might be worth a try to convince the shop and Wilier to have them send you a new frame without having you to send the bad frame back at your expense. Some companies will ask you to destroy the defective item yourself and show them proof of it with some pictures. I have done it in the past but not on a bike frame.

survivor

by survivor

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 pm
After looking at the second set of images there's no doubt this is a warranty item. It might be worth a try to convince the shop and Wilier to have them send you a new frame without having you to send the bad frame back at your expense. Some companies will ask you to destroy the defective item yourself and show them proof of it with some pictures. I have done it in the past but not on a bike frame.
That's a good suggestion and I will definitely propose it to the bike shop to see whether it is possible. The bike shop has reached out to Wilier about the crack and I have sent photos from multiple angles for them to forward to Wilier for a close assessment. Hopefully I will hear back from the bike shop in a day or two on the outcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com