Chain stay crack advise needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

Today when I was cleaning my bike, I turned the bike upside down to clean the bottom part of the bike. I'm glad I did because once I turned the bike upside down, I discovered a crack on the chain stay. I didn't notice it before because it is not visible on top, and if I didn't turn the bike upside down, I wouldn't have see it as well. This is a new bike that was just delivered back in mid September. I only rode it for 60 miles so far on smooth pavement road. I'm very concern about the carbon structure integrity of the bike currently. I've sent the photos of the cracks to the bike shop and they are assessing it. Could this just be a paint crack? I have a bad feeling due to the location of the crack where the chain stay meets the bottom bracket area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Theologian

by Theologian

Just by looking at the pictures, I don't think you can really tell. Best bet is to have a mechanic inspect it in person.

survivor

by survivor

Theologian wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:41 pm
Just by looking at the pictures, I don't think you can really tell. Best bet is to have a mechanic inspect it in person.
The bike shop I got this bike from is not local to me so that added some challenges. I agree that an inspection in person would probably have much accurate assessment. I'm just very worried at this point.

jaclipse

by jaclipse

You can try the coin test. Should give you a decent idea of whether that area is compromised or not.

survivor

by survivor

jaclipse wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 pm
You can try the coin test. Should give you a decent idea of whether that area is compromised or not.
Going to try that. Not sure my ears are good enough to differentite the different sound.

Based on Cyclist article I just read:
'Also, the elasticity of carbon fibre is usually less than the paint, so if the paint is cracked, there’s a high chance there’s been some kind of trauma to the carbon too.'

Doesn't really help to ease my worry.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Yikes!! Yes, the coin test can definitely help.

I know it's not what you want to hear and it's an involved process, but if in the States, definitely consider Broken Carbon in Boulder, CO. They repaired my Chapter2 Rere when I cracked the driveside chainstay in a crash. Good as new and didn't cost a fortune. Of course, what with that section of the frame being a matte-finish carbon weave with no paint, it certainly simplified things.

Sorry, hope it all works out.

survivor

by survivor

adilosnave wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:55 pm
Yikes!! Yes, the coin test can definitely help.

I know it's not what you want to hear and it's an involved process, but if in the States, definitely consider Broken Carbon in Boulder, CO. They repaired my Chapter2 Rere when I cracked the driveside chainstay in a crash. Good as new and didn't cost a fortune. Of course, what with that section of the frame being a matte-finish carbon weave with no paint, it certainly simplified things.

Sorry, hope it all works out.
Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely keep that carbon repair contact. Since it is a new bike I anticipate the bike shop to honor the warranty. But since they are not local, I have a headache just thinking about how involved the warranty claim process would be. I will need to first strip down the bike (at my own expense), ship the frame to them (at my own expense), endure an agonizing wait for the replacement/repair frame, wait for them to ship it back to me, and rebuild the bike (at my own expense). The additional expenses are just...ugh! Lesson learned: always buy local or at least buy a brand with local dealer presence.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Paint doesn't typically buckle like that unless the underlying carbon gives way. It either chips, abrades or spiderwebs.

dhope

by dhope

Given the option is there, I’d definitely be going the warranty route for peace of mind. Presume you bought frame only rather than full bike (hence having to strip it down at your cost).

Maddie

by Maddie

That crack is where the chainstay are glued to the bottom bracket during the manufacturing process. Unfortunately, a warranty case

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

What caused the FCC label on your PM spider to get scratched off?

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Theologian wrote:
I think so too. The pictures aren't quite sharp enough to really see what's going on there (on the surface).
Maddie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:35 am
That crack is where the chainstay are glued to the bottom bracket during the manufacturing process. Unfortunately, a warranty case
I don't quite agree with this - if the chainstays were bonded on individually, then I think the joins would be further back, but if the chainstays were formed in one composite part, then the join (bond) of that assembly, to the BB, would be further forward. In addition, the type of paint rupture that it appears to be usually only comes from longitudinal compression of the surface; bending of the chainstay, or a chain that's too short, are about the only ways to achieve that. Still need sharper photos, or in-person inspection I'm afraid.

survivor

by survivor

dhope wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:22 am
Given the option is there, I’d definitely be going the warranty route for peace of mind. Presume you bought frame only rather than full bike (hence having to strip it down at your cost).
I bought it from the bike shop as a full bike but there is more to that. The bike shop actually helped me to make a frame swap because the frame size and color that I wanted only available as a frame only, and I needed the integrated handlebar size that only available at the time with the smaller stock full bike. Thus the bike shop transferred all the parts from the smaller stock full bike to the frame that I wanted. Once I got the bike, I have also swap the stock Ultegra Di2 to Dura Ace Di2 and wheels and among other things. So for warranty claim I will just have to strip it down unfortunately.

survivor

by survivor

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 am
What caused the FCC label on your PM spider to get scratched off?
I do not know. I bought it used and it came that way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

tjvirden wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:42 pm
Theologian wrote:
I think so too. The pictures aren't quite sharp enough to really see what's going on there (on the surface).
Some more photos added. I inspected the crack very closely yesterday, I believe I saw bare carbon cracks from some small area where the paint already peal off. Of cause I do not have a trained eye so I may be wrong. Will bring it to local bike shop for an assessment while waiting to hear back from the bike shop that I bought the bike from.