Best "no proprietary parts" bike ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

Depending on the budget, I would also say Specialized or S-Works Aethos. Lightest disc frame currently available, future proof, very easy to service. And even though it's a Spec frame, you don't see them at every corner. Can also take mechanical (except S-Works) if that's important. Depending on the region, availaibility is very good to so-so. Only negative in my view: expensive

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Supersix Evo with a BB infinite unit installed. I consider it the precursor to the Aethos, both bikes designed by Peter Denk. And rides fabulous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtV

by ArtV

Ridley Helium SLX?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

If Aethos doesn't qualify for this thread, I don't know what does. Standard stem, Bb, and seatpost. Compression plug can be changed to anything you want. Electronic compatibility and price don't make it non-proprietary so that's a weird argument. Most RD hangers are bike specific. Do hanger standards even exist? So what's left? Headset bearings?

pmprego

by pmprego

The definition for non-proprietary part must be related to the option of replacing parts coming from other manufacturers other than what originally came stock on the bike.

In that sense, the bb being pressift or threaded does not qualify as proprietary/non-proprietary. It's just a characteristic. On a pressift system one can use whatever brand bb as long it's pressift compatible. The same goes for the threaded option. One can use whatever brand bb as long as it's threaded compatible.

Lina

by Lina

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:54 am
If Aethos doesn't qualify for this thread, I don't know what does. Standard stem, Bb, and seatpost. Compression plug can be changed to anything you want. Electronic compatibility and price don't make it non-proprietary so that's a weird argument. Most RD hangers are bike specific. Do hanger standards even exist? So what's left? Headset bearings?
The Aethos does have a proprietary front caliper mount. But IMO that's almost in the same territory as RD hangers. And unlike hangers you shouldn't need to ever replace it.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

GS100

by GS100

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:14 pm
GS100 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Correction BSA.. ok so fine it's got a round seatpost and non integrated stem but this is a seriously high end bike - nearly £12,000 here in the UK for last year's model. Special parts that should you need to replace any like for like, it's gonna cost/ possibly be scarce.
You don't need to replace like for like, that's what non-proprietary means. You can do whatever you want.

Ah ok cool so just get your £12k Aethos kitted out with Alibaba special parts? lol ;)

But seriously, someone spending to get an Aethos are very unlikely to give a s**t about the hassle, if any, of priorietary parts! it's just a daft suggestion IMO.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

You're probably not going to want to replace anything on an Aethos right now, as they are spec'ed pretty well, but you could get a frameset and build it up yourself, or you could replace/break parts later on and replace them.

One thing I would worry about on a bike with proprietary parts, like for example the Canyon Aeroad, is what if break a seatpost five or six years from now? Will Canyon offer replacements? It's not like you can use any seatpost.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Karvalo

by Karvalo

GS100 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Ah ok cool so just get your £12k Aethos kitted out with Alibaba special parts? lol ;)
You are unaware of the existence of any other standard finishing kit apart from Roval Alpinist or Alibaba knockoff?

I'd suggest doing a bit of research before you start speccing your next bike :smartass:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Yeah I was thinking the S-Works customer would be looking at Tune, Extralite, THM, Darimo, etc. Not Alibaba....

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Aethos as the best!? Wow, i must be the only one to think NO!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spartacus

by spartacus

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:17 pm
Aethos as the best!? Wow, i must be the only one to think NO!
Lightest frame you can get
Lifetime warranty
No proprietary parts
Threaded bottom bracket
Supposedly rides amazing

By all means what's better?

I guess if you insist on having rim brakes it's a deal breaker.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

The best part about the Aethos is the ride quality and weight compared to all other heavy and harsh riding disc brake bikes. Most disc brake bikes need big tires and lower pressure hence the current trend. Aethos is incredibly light and you can toss around with immediate acceleration. Weight is everything for climbers and everyday riders. Aethos is basically a top notch rim brake bike but with disc brake and huge price premium.

Imagine an even lighter Aethos: Aethos with rim brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Lina wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:46 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:54 am
The Aethos does have a proprietary front caliper mount. But IMO that's almost in the same territory as RD hangers. And unlike hangers you shouldn't need to ever replace it.
1. The front flat mount adapter has the fork holes closer than the usual flat mount. But some other flat adapters (like Juin) also happen to have that closer hole already drilled into it. So in a pinch one of those would work instead of the Specialized specialized part.

2. The frame bits are very, very proprietary. Even by Spesh standards. (LOL, he just said "standards"!) The bottom bracket cable guides don't seem to fit any other model. While the rear derailleur mechanical cable guide fits ONE other Spesh model ('17 Epic), most if not all these bits are unique to the frame. Sure, lots of frames have proprietary frame bits. But the Aethos outdoes it.

3. For anyone still confused, the non S-Works models, i.e. Pro/Expert/Comp, are all the same frame and can accept mechanicals.

Signed,
Luddite and Proud