Best "no proprietary parts" bike ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

uraqt wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:15 pm
the Aethos was designed by one of the best carbon bike designeers/team around
:lol:

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Aethos is such a good bike for the average enthusiasts. It is light weight and rides like a rim brake bike. At a huge premium of course.

I mimic some sentiments here. Rim brake is the way to go If you are like me trying to avoid proprietary parts. Time and Basso we're my top choices. Otherwise there are plenty of "2020 modern" choices with many proprietary parts at inflated msrp. They wont be as fun lb for lb or dollar for dollar. Assuming you can still get a proper rim brake bike without the scarcity premium or ugly paint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GS100

by GS100

Not sure what the goal is but pretty much all new bikes have *some* proprietary parts (from hangers, cable hardware, FD mounts, contoured spacers w/matching stems, to aero seatposts or integrated stems, handlebars etc). Some of these are fine and actually improve the bike functionally and aesthetically, others might create unnecessary hassle.

A press fit BB has been mentioned but it isn't usually proprietary and if well made, is no hassle whatsoever. So those that couuldn't make a hole round invented T47 threaded which is a new standard!

If the goal is ease of maintenance and customisation, personally I'd go for a frameset that allows electronic and manual cable routing then you can spec your own components.

The mention of Aethos did make me lol - yes it's got a round 27.2 mm seatpost, but it's disc, electronic only (s works at least), T47 threaded and all the special lightweight matching hardware will be mega $$$ to replace.

Time and Basso are also suggested - lovely bikes and not the mainstream. Some prioprietary parts like Basso's stem & spacers that match the frame but looks gorgeous.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nodejs53 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 pm
Hi

I was wondering what's is the best "no proprietary parts" bike at the moment ?

Looking for a bike easy to service, easy to adjust and can be upgraded / maintained easily.

Thanks for sharing
The best, does cost matter?
What is your preference talking geometry and do you want disc brakes or rim brakes?

If i get you right, it should have a round seatpost and a standard type of stem and handlebar?

Do you want carbon, ti, steel or aluminium?

To be super honest, i have a disc and a rim brake bike. Easiest to maintain is rim brake.
But again, if you ride all season disc brakes are to prefer.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

GS100 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:05 pm
The mention of Aethos did make me lol - yes it's got a round 27.2 mm seatpost, but it's disc, electronic only (s works at least), T47 threaded and all the special lightweight matching hardware will be mega $$$ to replace.
It isn't T47, and what hardware do you need to replace?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

But it doesn't use a proprietary seatpost, bar, stem, etc which I thought was what the OP was asking. I believe it uses a Shimano threaded BB, so while not truly an open standard, it's more open than some BB standards. The Aethos is expensive, but the OP asked for the best, and I certainly believe it deserves to be in the conversation.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It’s a BSA bottom bracket

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 pm
I believe it uses a Shimano threaded BB, so while not truly an open standard, it's more open than some BB standards.
It uses a Shimano threaded BB if you put a Shimano BB in there but that's the product, not the standard. A Shimano threaded BB could be BSA or ITA, those are the standards. The BSA threaded bottom bracket shell in the Aethos was first developed by Birmingham Small Arms in England (hence English threaded). I'm not sure exactly when that was, but they started making bikes in 1880 so BSA threading could predate the existence of the first ever Shimano workshop by as much as 40 years.

Regardless, anyone who wants to use it can use it without permission or payment, so at this point it's as open as open can be, no?

robertbb

by robertbb

DaveS wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 pm
Does being the most expensive and/or the lightest make a frame the best? I look for the best bang for the buck. That rules out $4-5,000 frames with $4,000 wheels.

I really like my Cinelli Superstar disc bikes. Standard 27.2mm post, standard stem and bars and reasonably priced tubeless wheels. I bought two frames for $1000 each. Great paint jobs. I like the larger trail geometry. They descend like they're on rails.
What groupset are you running. What cassette and chain. Go on, tell us. Again.

GS100

by GS100

Zakalwe wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 pm
It’s a BSA bottom bracket
My bad - it's BSA you're right

GS100

by GS100

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:11 pm
GS100 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:05 pm
It isn't T47, and what hardware do you need to replace?
Correction BSA.. ok so fine it's got a round seatpost and non integrated stem but this is a seriously high end bike - nearly £12,000 here in the UK for last year's model. Special parts that should you need to replace any like for like, it's gonna cost/ possibly be scarce.. Just not a very practical suggestion to my mind. From their marketing:

"Every detail, from the derailleur hangers to the fork expander plug have been designed with style, weight, and durability in mind. We’ve also spec’d it with Roval’s all-new Alpinist carbon seatpost and wheels, further saving weight and improving ride characteristics. Everything in pursuit for the perfect ride".

..and why might you need to replace Specialized parts in future (e.g. expander plug..) humm let me think ;)

But hey, if money no object..

AJS914

by AJS914

Reviewers seem to still love the $5,000 version - sure, still not a cheap bike.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/special ... mp-review/

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I bought a Cinelli Veltrix disc for this reason last year, it’s not problem free but it’s about as open source as a carbon frame can get. To be honest though, my “best” non proprietary bike is the steel one I got made for me by Saffron, it’s my favourite of all the bikes I own

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Felt FR is completely standard parts.
Second for the Cinelli's.
Several of the big names have lower-tier bikes that fit that. Emonda ALR for example
Kinesis Aithein is a good example of alloy with totally normal parts (save for a larger seatpost diameter)

Karvalo

by Karvalo

GS100 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Correction BSA.. ok so fine it's got a round seatpost and non integrated stem but this is a seriously high end bike - nearly £12,000 here in the UK for last year's model. Special parts that should you need to replace any like for like, it's gonna cost/ possibly be scarce.
You don't need to replace like for like, that's what non-proprietary means. You can do whatever you want.
and why might you need to replace Specialized parts in future (e.g. expander plug..) humm let me think ;)
Well in that case you'd be given one for free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com