Accurate track pump with easy-to-read gauge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pooka

by pooka

Any suggestions for an accurate high pressure track pump with an easy-to-read gauge?

I currently have a Lezyne CNC track pump (good quality but small analogue gauge), and a Lezyne Classic track pump (not as good in terms of quality but a bigger analogue gauge with graduations marked more clearly). As my eyes age I'm looking for a gauge that is easier to read. And while I'm at it I might as well focus on accuracy of the gauge too, no point in being able to read the gauge easily if it's lying to me.

Unfortunately most of the options that I've considered have an analogue gauge located at, or close to, the bottom of the pump making them hard to see. I'm not keen on the idea of relying on yet another battery, but a digital gauge with a large display seems like it would be the easiest to read.

I haven't seen the Lezyne digital pumps in the flesh, but from photos their digital display (located at base of pump) looks quite small and perhaps small enough that I might struggle. By contrast the Silca SuperPista Digital places the guage at the top of the pump. Yes, the price of the Silca is eye-watering, but if I thought it would provide the accuracy it claims, along with that visible gauge, then I would consider it.

Anyone have experience of the Lezyne digital, or the Silca digital? Are they as accurate as they claim, and how visible are the gauges in reality?

Another option may be to replace the gauge on my existing Lezyne CNC with a bigger, accurate, and hopefully more readable, analogue one. I've not looked into this option but would be interested in the experiences of anyone that has retrofitted a decent gauge to a pump.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pooka

by pooka

Oh, I should add that the pressures I run tyres at currently are 100psi for 23mm, and 85psi for 25mm. So I don't need a pump/gauge that goes as high as, say 200psi.

RDY

by RDY

Don't think any of them are brilliantly accurate. Get a cheapish one that works and a digital pressure meter. Much cheaper overall, and you can take the latter out on longer rides.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

If you want an accurate gage, get a pump that uses an industry standard thread and change it out to an industrial calibrated gauge. Ashcroft is good. You can also get any cheap pump and add a tee to the hose if you cant change the pump gauge.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

You can converted rennkompressors to use industrial gauges in about 10 minutes...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Get yourself a separate pressure gauge that you can use to measure and set your tire pressure after you pump it up.

Efficient Velo Tech makes some fantastic gauges that are available in five ranges. They are superb.

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/bleedin-gauge

They aren't cheap but everything EVT makes is top notch.

You might as well get an inflator head from them too and attach it to a small pancake compressor while you're at it. Bye bye floor pump.

DaveS

by DaveS

I removed the tiny gauge from my old silica pump and screwed in a short 1/8 inch pipe nipple, then a 1/8
to 1/4 reducer and a 90 degree elbow, with a large diameter 0-100 psi gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087UYDPS/?c ... _lig_dp_it

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture. ... tureid=769
Last edited by DaveS on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tleo

by tleo

Blackburn Piston 4

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... n-piston-4

I too was looking for an accurate pump with an easy to read gauge and this has fit the bill for me perfectly. Since the gauge is at the top of the barrel I thought it might be a bit tipsy but that has not proven to be the case. It is quite stable.

kode54

by kode54

My eyesight isn't great...so analog gauges at the floor are no use to me. I use a Silca digital gauge pump with digital gauge on top. Its the only pump I use nowadays.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

pooka

by pooka

Thanks for the info, and suggestions. I'll look into some of those options.

Perp

by Perp

I have the dual chamber Lezyne pump. The display is pretty large. Easier to read the my analogue ones. Biggest com for me is lack of pressure release valve to remove air to get exact psi

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Topeak has a small gauge that you can attach a hose from a track pump so it measures pressure at the valve...think you can screw in a CO2 at other end too and regulate pressure with press of a button

Any similar design that can accept presta on one end and a hose on the other should help with accuracy

Automotive/Karting outfits may have accurate tyre gauges as well

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I am happy with pump with digital gauge, I always pump it to the number I know will work. I don't care if it is not accurate but it is repeatable.

Otherwise Topeak has an digital inline one, or another that will take a reading which you can bleed down until you get the desired psi. I don't know if I have always find room to use an inline one, sometimes the rear wheel is difficult as is or I end up touching the cassette when I try to remove the pump head.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com