Factor O2 VAM Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

Didn't Cervelo make the new R5 more flexy? or is the flex different between the O2 VAM and new R5? Probably both from designers that worked on both frames as Factor used to make Cervelo frames...maybe not the RcA.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

defride

by defride

Thanks to the OP for the review. Vam disc is a bike I'm interested in come the spring so good to get some feedback from those who have contributed.

Strikes me that the differences noted between the rim and disc versions may have much to do with the thru-axles on the disc. That's a light fork, flex here would contribute to poor handling and a 12mm axle with a bit of extra beef for the disc mount version may go a long way to improving stiffness and tracking. Lesser extent perhaps but also true for the rear end.

I've not researched the bike greatly yet but perhaps the press didn't report problems because thay didn't notice significant problems on the disc versions they'll have largely seen?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think you need to be careful not to place too much faith in thru axles changing otherwise similar bikes. The only way a thru axle would be significantly stiffer is if the end caps of the rim brake hubs are literally separating from the drop outs when force is applied - not likely. Also bear in mind that there are countless other rim brake frames, including all of the frames that I own or have owned, that have never had the problems that the O2 VAM displayed, at least in the rear end. FWIW the fork, though very light, felt totally adequate. The steerer could have been a touch beefier but I don't believe it is in any way responsible for the handling issues.

Ultimately whether the O2 VAM rim or disc works for someone will depend on their body weight, power, how they use the bike, and expectations. It can be a lot of fun to ride under the right person.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

My cousin has a O2 VAM disc, the new version with integrated cables, full Sram Red AXS, Dt Swiss CRC 1100 tubulars, Black Inc bars and seatpost. Size 49 at ~6.5kg. He also has a Cervelo S5 rim with Lightweight Meilenstein wheels at 6.5kg and a Lightweight Urgestalt rim at 6.2kg or so. with Lightweight Obermayer whees. He bought the Factor thinking it was a real climbing bike, but he has found that it isn’t reactive, and he wonders if the cause is the frameset or the wheels, as he is used to the Lightweight wheels, but I don’t think the wheels are the problem. He much prefers the stiffness of the S5.
What is most impressive is that he is a very small guy, he doesn’t weight more than 58kg.
Now he doesn’t know if the Ostro will be more of the same or a nice stiff bike to climb. Can anyone help?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I haven't ridden one, but but I have heard zero mention of stiffness issues regarging the Ostro.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:57 pm
I haven't ridden one, but but I have heard zero mention of stiffness issues regarging the Ostro.
The Ostro is a great design - really not so far off an O2 VAM in terms of weight, but stiffer and much more aero.

Erwin

by Erwin

I have an Factor O2 disc 2nd generation (the light blue AG2R version) size 56 with -17 degree stem (6,7kg) and a O2 VAM rim size 54 -6 degree stem (5,15kg). So contact points are nearly identical. The O2 disc I have nearly two years and have ridden it over 7000km and done lot of alps climbing this year. I like it a lot. So I have decided to build a O2 VAM rim in September and I like it a lot too. I didn't notice any problems descending with it, but haven't done so many kilometres especially on complex downhills. And I didn't think I will take it to the alps anytime soon, cause I would always choose the disc O2 for easier braking. My weight is about 68kg.
Mr. Gib: I wish you a lot of fun with your O2 disc. For me it is a keeper.

Other bikes available: Canyon Ultimate SLX (perhaps for sale), Madone 7 H1, Madone 9 H1 and a Norco Threshold SL.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@Erwin, it's good to hear that you are enjoying the O2 VAM. As I noted in my review, perhaps a different size can make a difference and indeed you are on a 54 VAM as opposed to my 56. I also think weight can be a deal breaker for some of us and the almost 10kgs between us could be exactly that. The VAM definitely has it's strengths, but for me it just didn't have the structural integrity to handle my descending habits or out of the saddle efforts.

The 3 or 4 rides I had on the O2 Disc before weather armagedon hit the Pacific Northwest were a lot of fun. I will need more time to know if it is a keeper but thus far it certainly looks that way. At the very least the bike is an excellent all 'rounder.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Cam Nicholls posted a Youtube video about his Factor O2 VAM today and had very similar experience as reported in your review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsEsU6KOAY

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

But he never got into specifics about why the lack of stiffness was a problem for him.

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

I have the 02 Vam in disc brake and I can report I don't have any of the issues you do with the rim version.

The only time I can feel a little flex in the frame is when I'm really putting some power down out the saddle, even then it's nothing to get excited about, it certainly doesn't feel like a noodle.

I'm around 80-83kg so not exactly a lightweight, for me the bike feels stiff enough, I don't ever get on the bike and think wow this feels super stiff, or this feels super flexy, it just feels somewhere in the middle and "normal" if that makes sense. I bought the VAM frame because of the deal I got on it, but I didn't want a super light build, I opted for pro vibe components and dm chain rings to add some stiffness to it, so they're probably affecting the feel a little.

My old bike a 2016 cervelo s5 used to understeer like crazy, this feels so much better, high speed, low speed the handling is excellent and it feels a very fast bike. Theres a lot of talk about aero frames, but with the wheels I have on this I can't feel any noticable difference in speed from the s5, this feels just as fast but much more fun to ride.

I'd be interested in trying an SL7 to see how different that feels, but if I had to start over I'd happily build this bike again.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@whizzybob that's great to hear. It's such a good design and such a good looking bike. Other than brake rub, I too had no issues putting the power down, nor did I have handling issues in most situations. Where I did have an issue was in high g cornering which as I noted could be mostly remedied by taking some pressure off the outside pedal and adding some to the saddle. Without any assumptions about your level of descending insanity, I wonder if the disc version would have been significantly different in those more extreme cornering moments.