Factor O2 VAM Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

RDY wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:02 am
The layup isn't very sophisticated. It's built to be light, and that's about it ... Factor make cheap stuff, for the most part.
The layup of the O2 VAM was pretty impressive. And if we accept the documentation regarding the VAM, a variety of different types of carbon were used, each with a specific purpose depending on location. A very sophisticated application by the standards of the industry. And it's all on display. Not many manufacturers will show their full carbon layup. Most throw a cosmetic layer on top for appearance or hide certain areas with a fade in black paint. It is quite obvious that a lot of effort went into getting the various sheets of carbon just right, and you could see all the areas that had been reinforced with various different weaves. The reinforcement around the delicate brake bridge was impressively tidy. The inside of the downtube was immaculate with the smoothest inner surfaces I have ever seen, and as well I have never seen a better formed head tube and in particular the bearing seats. The fit of the headset bearings was absolutely perfect. The bearing seats in the bottom bracket shell, while a bit too minimalist for my tastes, were round, parrallel, and perfectly in line. Did not look "cheap" at all, rather it looked like an incredibly expensive frame to manufacture given all the handwork and attention to detail. That's the great shame here, I think but for a bit more stiffness, it would be a special bike.

As for my new O2, I have yet to find a flaw. While made with less expensive carbon and more of it, the quality of construction appears similar to the VAM, BB, head tube, disc caliper mounts, all perfect. And the paint is flawless, can't find a ripple, bubble, or spot of overspray.

Please explain what you mean by not very sophisticated. What do you feel Factor makes that is "cheap stuff"?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the write-up. It's very informative.

I have done a bit of reading on frame design and custom frame building. One thing I learned is that the chainstays are the two most structurally important tubes on a bike. This is because 1) the offset nature of the crank and cassette cause the dropouts to move laterally as you pedal, and 2) the chainstay dimensions are constrained by the tire and the chainrings. So if one makes tire/chainring clearances bigger the size of the DS chainstay has to shrink. This is also the reason why newer cranks (i.e. new Dura Ace 9200) have wider Q factors and increased chainlines. It's done that way so that wider tires can be fitted without shrinking the DS chainstay. So in conclusion the chainstays is a place where careful design considerations must be placed on. I don't know for sure if the VAM suffers from soft chainstays but it appears that way from your write-up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barbaar

by barbaar

ichobi wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:06 am
The Ostro Vam, on the other hand, i cant find fault with it. Immaculate piece of work. Bb is round (yeah thats a thing these days), inside looks clean, paint is perfect. Frame is as light as advertised. (Forks are a bit heavy but they are deep aero fork).

No issue with stiffness. Handling is solid. I run it with 28c schwalbe pro one tt and dt swiss arc dicut 1100 50. Holds speed well. Acceleration is fun but probably not as lighting quick feeling as the likes of climbing bikes (like the giant tcr) but better than full aero bikes i have tried before.

A solid all rounder. I really enjoy descending with it.

Old pic. This one is not with the new tires.
Agree with this, but lets not forget the headset issues of the Ostro.

Other than that I have zero complaints about this bike. Fully recommend it!
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

RDY

by RDY

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 am
RDY wrote:
The layup isn't very sophisticated. It's built to be light, and that's about it ... Factor make cheap stuff, for the most part.
The layup of the O2 VAM was pretty impressive. And if we accept the documentation regarding the VAM, a variety of different types of carbon were used, each with a specific purpose depending on location. A very sophisticated application by the standards of the industry. And it's all on display. Not many manufacturers will show their full carbon layup. Most throw a cosmetic layer on top for appearance or hide certain areas with a fade in black paint. It is quite obvious that a lot of effort went into getting the various sheets of carbon just right, and you could see all the areas that had been reinforced with various different weaves. The reinforcement around the delicate brake bridge was impressively tidy. The inside of the downtube was immaculate with the smoothest inner surfaces I have ever seen, and as well I have never seen a better formed head tube and in particular the bearing seats. The fit of the headset bearings was absolutely perfect. The bearing seats in the bottom bracket shell, while a bit too minimalist for my tastes, were round, parrallel, and perfectly in line. Did not look "cheap" at all, rather it looked like an incredibly expensive frame to manufacture given all the handwork and attention to detail. That's the great shame here, I think but for a bit more stiffness, it would be a special bike.

As for my new O2, I have yet to find a flaw. While made with less expensive carbon and more of it, the quality of construction appears similar to the VAM, BB, head tube, disc caliper mounts, all perfect. And the paint is flawless, can't find a ripple, bubble, or spot of overspray.

Please explain what you mean by not very sophisticated. What do you feel Factor makes that is "cheap stuff"?
Unless you have x-ray vision, you're not going to see much from the outside. What matters is inside.

You're falling for the marketing mumbo jumbo, despite you and others finding it a noodle.

What I mean is that they clearly didn't choose to spend the time, effort, development cost and additional cost per unit of producing a more sophisticated layup and internal design to stiffen and brace the frame where needed, or to reshape parts of tubing (from the O2) if the former wasn't good enough, to offset its overall lightness. It's not like this is in any way surprising to them, they will have chosen the lower cost option.

What you and others have described is significantly worse than the Aethos. Vial Evo and other superlight frames haven't been reported to be like this. It's not a 'feature' to be that 'compliant'.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Fact is, myself and Mr Gibs have both seen the inside of it. And the different types of carbon plies used on the frame are obvious. It might not be what you want it to be, but to say that it's not sophisticated or it's cheap to produce is an opinion that holds no water.

I'll take it over the Aethos anytime btw, I don't like my road bike to look like a BMX.

alanyu

by alanyu

RDY is just talking shxt here

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

RDY wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 am
Unless you have x-ray vision, you're not going to see much from the outside. What matters is inside.
I guess you have not had one of these bikes in your hands because if you had you would know that you can get a pretty good look inside the down tube, head tube, and seat tube. You can even get a look into the first bit of the seat stays. A high quality finish may not mean much for the performance of the bike, but it ain't cheap or easy.
RDY wrote:
You're falling for the marketing mumbo jumbo, despite you and others finding it a noodle.
Falling for marketing mumbo-jumbo how? I'm the one who is pointing out a serious problem in the most detailed and objective fashion. How am I falling for anything?
RDY wrote:
What I mean is that they clearly didn't choose to spend the time, effort, development cost and additional cost per unit of producing a more sophisticated layup and internal design to stiffen and brace the frame where needed, or to reshape parts of tubing (from the O2) if the former wasn't good enough, to offset its overall lightness. It's not like this is in any way surprising to them, they will have chosen the lower cost option.
Please explain what you mean by "didn't spend the time, effort, development cost, cost per unit..." Specifically what features of the construction led you to this conclusion? Was it the source and type of carbon? Perhaps the molding process was no good? Or was the manual labour involved inadequate?
A mistake was definitely made in the creation of the O2 VAM, but your blanket and now surprisingly detailed condemnation of the company is utter nonsense.
alanyu wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:20 pm
This would appear to be a more accurate appraisal of the situation.

Bottom line - the O2 VAM is too flexible for someone like me. And for some like me it is fair to consider it a failure of concept and design, not execution. What they probably should have done is make the larger frames a bit heavier in key areas. Factor's manufacturing is first class and when there are problems their service is also first class.

Also noteworthy, in reading this thread I sensed a bit of confusion regarding the non-VAM O2. As most of you are aware the frame is new for 2020 and should not be confused with the original O2. It shares an identical sillouette with the VAM because I assume it comes out of the same molds. The difference is that it uses less expensive carbon and more of it which results in a frame that is 200 - 250 grams heavier, otherwise it is the same bike. It is a stellar all-rounder and if the VAM version could have achieved most of it's performance at the lower weight, it would have been phenomenal.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
RDY wrote:

What you and others have described is significantly worse than the Aethos. Vial Evo and other superlight frames haven't been reported to be like this. It's not a 'feature' to be that 'compliant'.
I own a S-Works Aethos. The frame is so flexy that I consider it to be more of an endurance bike than a climbing bike. And if we're talking development cost, the Aethos is essentially just a rehashed version of the Tarmac SL5 design that traces its lineage all the way back to the original Tarmac SL...

My personal ranking for stiffness goes like this:
1. S-Works Tarmac SL7
2. Teammachine SLR01 & Ostro VAM (tied)
3. F12 X-Light Rim
4. Oltre XR4 Rim, Madone Rim & C64 Disc (tied)
5. SuperSix EVO, Venge Disc, S5 & Emonda Disc (tied)
6. S-Works Aethos
7. O2 Disc

alanyu

by alanyu

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:06 pm
alanyu wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:20 pm
This would appear to be a more accurate appraisal of the situation.

Bottom line - the O2 VAM is too flexible for someone like me. And for some like me it is fair to consider it a failure of concept and design, not execution. What they probably should have done is make the larger frames a bit heavier in key areas. Factor's manufacturing is first class and when there are problems their service is also first class.

Also noteworthy, in reading this thread I sensed a bit of confusion regarding the non-VAM O2. As most of you are aware the frame is new for 2020 and should not be confused with the original O2. It shares an identical sillouette with the VAM because I assume it comes out of the same molds. The difference is that it uses less expensive carbon and more of it which results in a frame that is 200 - 250 grams heavier, otherwise it is the same bike. It is a stellar all-rounder and if the VAM version could have achieved most of it's performance at the lower weight, it would have been phenomenal.
He claimed "The layup isn't very sophisticated. It's built to be light, and that's about it ... Factor make cheap stuff, for the most part."

This is totally BS. Not only the layup of VAM (both O2 and Ostro) is special but also they use special asphalt reinforced CF. The cost of VAM is no anywhere to be cheap.

Moreover, he sugguested O2 VAM is less stiff than Aethos, but the truth is they are on par if Aethos ia not worse.

I don't mean O2 VAM is a perfect dream bike, but just what RDY claimed is BS.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

StiffWeenies wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:46 pm
1. S-Works Tarmac SL7
3. F12 X-Light Rim
6. S-Works Aethos
7. O2 Disc
These are bikes that you own? That's a nice list.

Which O2? Original version or the 2020+ version?

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:39 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
1. S-Works Tarmac SL7
3. F12 X-Light Rim
6. S-Works Aethos
7. O2 Disc

O2 is the original, non-VAM version without fully integrated cockpit. SuperSix EVO is the standard, non-Hi-MOD version. Ditto for the Venge which is the standard Specialized model without integrated cockpit from 2017 (I think). Madone and Emonda should be the higher end models.

I only own the SLR01, C64, Oltre and Aethos. The rest are owned by my friends. We're all around the same height give or take a couple cm so we often swap bikes. Seeing for yourself what you like or dislike sure beats reading wishy washy sponsored content masquerading as "reviews" from mainstream cycling media.

Kingstonian

by Kingstonian

StiffWeenies wrote:
RDY wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
RDY wrote:

I own a S-Works Aethos. The frame is so flexy that I consider it to be more of an endurance bike than a climbing bike. And if we're talking development cost, the Aethos is essentially just a rehashed version of the Tarmac SL5 design that traces its lineage all the way back to the original Tarmac SL...

1. S-Works Tarmac SL7
3. F12 X-Light Rim
6. S-Works Aethos
7. O2 Disc

Interesting insight , thanks for sharing

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

StiffWeenies wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:09 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:39 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
1. S-Works Tarmac SL7
3. F12 X-Light Rim
6. S-Works Aethos
7. O2 Disc

O2 is the original, non-VAM version without fully integrated cockpit. SuperSix EVO is the standard, non-Hi-MOD version. Ditto for the Venge which is the standard Specialized model without integrated cockpit from 2017 (I think). Madone and Emonda should be the higher end models.

I only own the SLR01, C64, Oltre and Aethos. The rest are owned by my friends. We're all around the same height give or take a couple cm so we often swap bikes. Seeing for yourself what you like or dislike sure beats reading wishy washy sponsored content masquerading as "reviews" from mainstream cycling media.
Thanks for clarifying that.

You bring up an important issue. If there are any villains in this story, it is the various bike "journalists" that were either not capable of properly assessing the bike, or too nice or conflicted to say something negative. Either is not forgiveable IMO. Factor tried something radical that to some extent didn't work out the way they had hoped. And granted it's not a good thing for those of us that suffer expense, inconvenience, and even danger. But where are the jounalists to warn us? Can they ride? or do they descend like frightened children? Or are they just too corrupted and conflicted to present their honest findings? I did not read a single review of the O2 VAM that described any experience like mine. In fact some of the reviews raved about the descending prowess. (FYI, the Cam Nicolls video, which does mention flex, was created after I had the bike.) It must be mentioned that the reviews all concerned the disc version, but the front ends and chain stays are pretty much identical so it won't be night and day between rim and disc. Also my VAM was a 2021 electronic only version. The downtube and bottom bracket windows were removed in favour of a continuous solid carbon structure for added stiffness. :? The only holes in the frame were the entry and exit for the rear brake cable and the tiny Di2 wire ports at the fd and rd.

My prediction: and updated reinforced O2 VAM very soon.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sigma

by sigma

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:56 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:57 am
Although i think VAM looks better i am perplexed the "older" bike /frameset win in your book, a bit backwards evolution from Factor!?
I hate to mention Ax as an example, but they gained a bit of weight (from 2015-2016 versions) and to be really honest, they have refined it to a better frameset.
I must admit, if i was in the market for a new bike/ frameset and really was going to decide, i have no clue i realize.
The curiousity of me would drive me towards another brand, but "play safe button" would probably say same brand disc version.
I have had Factor as one of the top interest though (VAM O2). But your review would seriously make me back off VAM.
The thing to remember is that I have not ridden the O2 VAM Disc. Perhaps the disc version VAM performs as well as the regular O2 Disc although the information I have suggests not - at least in the areas that are important to me. I would love to try a VAM disc and would hope to find that it's a great bike. I would happily update my review with that information.
First, I really enjoyed reading your review. I have a similar skiing background and live in the Rockies, so I can relate to your sense of pushing the bike to its limits. I have a Vam 02 Disc, a rim One, and SL6 and SL7 S Works Tarmacs. So, a decent comparison set and I used to ride R5s and SS Evos prior to switching to Factor / Specialized. I am around 78kg and can put out around 1500 watts on sprints (but not for very long alas anymore). So, I echo your thoughts on the climbing and flats. Apply power and the bike flies. I run two sets of wheels: the original black inc 50s it came with (c 1550g) and a set of MCFK 35s (1215g) with extralite hubs. On neither set of wheels have I experienced disc rub, so I am wondering whether the frame is stiffened to accomodate discs compared to the rim version. I have experienced no rim brake rub ever on the One, but that is built like a stiff Sherman tank. One of the most responsive bikes I have ever ridden. I am pausing a little on my thoughts on the downhill. Typically I use my Vam as my climbing bike and when I am out for long days on the hills or on the very sharp hills (like today, 39 miles, 4500 feet of climbing), I tend to use the downhills for recovery as the ride is more interval based. So, it's fair to say I am often not full throttle. That being said, I have felt several times that the Vam descends as well as my SL6, and that is high praise for me. Sharp and responsive. I am going to take a look on some of my regular training rides to compare the Vam to the SL6 and SL7 on descents (being careful to use the rides where I had the black inc 50s on) to get a sense of any major descent speed differences. On those routes, it would be my comfort and not the bike / wheels which would be the limiting factor.

I also echo your thoughts on the Factor team. By far the best customer response experience I have ever had with any bike company (Cdale, Cervelo, Spesh, as comps). Lastly, with the new steerer system and fork for the recent Vam models, there is no doubt I would get the O2 disc as a great all round bash it bike. Immensely capable, minimal weight penalty to the new Vam, stiff, and great handler. Excellent choice including color!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Glad to hear that the performance of your O2 VAM disc is living up to your performance expectations. Given your bike collection, you have real credibility on the issue. While I don't have your bikes, I do have your body mass and power numbers. :D Hearing that the VAM descends as well as SL6 is good news. At your (our) weight you would know if there was a problem even if you don't push the bike to the limit. It seems reasonable that the disc version performs differently than the rim version. The big difference that you can see it that the disc version has no brake bridge. Have the disc version seat stays been beefed up to compensate for this? Could this make the bike more solid in the corners? It's certainly possible. Does the caliper mount on the disc bike seat stay also help to stabilize the rear wheel? Again, it's possible.