Please help me with my foot pain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cannoli

by Cannoli

c60rider wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:27 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:09 pm
Right foot only, outer edge, pain like a muscule ache. Around the base of the 5th metatarsal maybe where it begins, but hard to say for sure. Only flares up when cycling and distance is no factor. Actually, it gets better after a while.

Cycled for years with no issues, but now this pain is ruining the sport for me.

No idea what is the cause and spent stupid money swapping out shoes and footbeds/wedges. Nothing works.

Also seen podiatrist and they could not flag up a particular cause/solution, other than the £600 custom orthotics of course!!

Is it the end for me?

Would love some suggestions from anyone who can relate.

Cheers
I've had this on occasion and every time it's due to having the lower fastener of the shoe too tight from the start of a ride. I'm a Sidi wearer and it doesn't matter which shoe or style of fastener the same will happen. So much so in years gone by, now I purposely have the lower fastener just taking up the slack rather (Sidi shot) and the upper dial tightened up more. The strange thing is the shoe may not seem to be too tight before you get on the bike but it's enough to start to restrict blood flow slightly and I think this is what causes the discomfort for me in that exact area. Once I'm well into a ride I can tighten it right up if I need to but it tends to clamp up around the forefoot a bit too much. The same applied with older shoes that had double velcro fasteners. Hope that works for you if you haven't tried it. :thumbup:
Same shoe, same problem, same resolution. :thumbup:
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

On3

by On3

Seems like a Norton's neuroma to me. If it's been a while, it's not necessary to do long rides to feel the pain (but it's getting worse with hot weather as feet will be even bigger).

You said you tried different shoes but did you measure your feet width at first? You should start with that (if possible end of the day, after long hot day).
For example mines are like ~11cm wide (at metatarsal), and even some shoes that are said "wide" are not wide enough for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rpowell

by rpowell

Did you make any changes to your bike or fit before the pain started? Did you buy new shoes or cleats?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A weird idea come here, but anyway...
Have you tried flat clipless pedals and sneakers, just to see what happens if and when you can move your foot/ feets more freely?
Perhaps this gives you a hint talking Q-factor and or shoes or you might be able to figure if it's cleat position to?
I tried wedges under right cleat. Just silly low 1-1.5mm.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Thanks for all the advice guys.

My biggest concern, is that I have buggered up my foot for good and that I will never get back to pain free riding.

Went so long, without even thinking about my feet, but maybe it was always bubbling away under the surface.

Kingstonian

by Kingstonian

tommyboyo wrote:
Right foot only, outer edge, pain like a muscule ache. Around the base of the 5th metatarsal maybe where it begins, but hard to say for sure. Only flares up when cycling and distance is no factor. Actually, it gets better after a while.

No idea what is the cause and spent stupid money swapping out shoes and footbeds/wedges. Nothing works.

Also seen podiatrist and they could not flag up a particular cause/solution, other than the £600 custom orthotics of course!!

Is it the end for me?

Cheers

£600 for custom orthotics? Wow, that's a serious lump of cash.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Kingstonian wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:13 pm
tommyboyo wrote:

Is it the end for me?

Cheers

£600 for custom orthotics? Wow, that's a serious lump of cash.
Yes indeed. I said no thanks!!

Altough, when I consider how much I have lost with all the different shoes I have tried and then ebayed, it was probably actually worth trying.

sib

by sib

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:07 am
A weird idea come here, but anyway...
Have you tried flat clipless pedals and sneakers, just to see what happens if and when you can move your foot/ feets more freely?
I think this is great advice.
I did the same to work through some q-factor issues.