Can I build a 56cm aero road bike under 6.5kg for 9kusd?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

None of the bikes I want to buy are available and ive never built a bike before. I would like something for sure under 14lbs without pedals.

I want an aero bike like the canyon aeroad style with 35mm front and 40-45mm rear tubeless aero wheels, 175mm cranks, 42cm wide bars.

Dont really care if electronic or mechanical groupset but would like hydraulic disc brakes.

Any advise?

wltz

by wltz

S-Works SL7 in 56 can be built to 6.5 without pedals if you go for it. Complete bike in this size comes in at 7.14kg with cages, pedals, PM and computer mount. I'm sure you can find 350g worth of savings. I'd say other frames like Ostro, Filante etc could do the job just as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

If you want light and aero you're far better off with deeper wheels and a lighter frame. 35-45mm rims aren't really 'aero'.

Anyway, to answer the titular question, you can do it for $3k. I'd advise spending considerably less than $9k when it sounds like you're a bit confused about what you want.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Totally doable of you're willing to get a few parts used or last-gen. I'm building a 58 Venge for around that money (used frame) and it's on track for 14.7lbs without pedals. That's cost would be with R9200, 1565g 65mm wheels, and no exotic parts. With something like a Rapide/404FC/AR56 wheelset and size 56 frame it should be close to 14lbs while being a full fledged aero bike. Few exotics (seat, cockpit?) And you'd be under 14lbs.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:44 pm
Totally doable of you're willing to get a few parts used or last-gen. I'm building a 58 Venge for around that money (used frame) and it's on track for 14.7lbs without pedals. That's cost would be with R9200, 1565g 65mm wheels, and no exotic parts. With something like a Rapide/404FC/AR56 wheelset and size 56 frame it should be close to 14lbs while being a full fledged aero bike. Few exotics (seat, cockpit?) And you'd be under 14lbs.
Please post photos when you're down :)

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Will do. Got most of the parts in but some important ones are still on the way (BB, wheels) or to be purchased (cockpit, groupset) before I can even begin the assembly. Will likely post up a build thread once I'm finished.

Current estimate is 6.83kg with pedals, but without cages or computer mount. Everything that arrived has been weighed. For missing parts I'm using claimed weights and the spreadsheet includes everything except carbon paste, retaining compound, and assembly grease (which I will weigh), but those shouldn't add more than 10g. Some of my estimated weights are conservative so it might come out slightly lighter. Imo, 6.8kg would be really good for a 58cm aero bike with 2x12 and 65mm deep 30mm wide clinchers before buying any parts from THM, Darimo, Alpitude, et.al. Could've saved another 200g with LB AR56 but 65mm is my minimum for a bike this size :P

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

hmmm, some good info so far.
I do want the shallow front wheel as I ride in Florida on the ocean and there is always wind. I had a set of 50's on my last bike and youd spend the ENTIRE ride fighting to keep the bike straight.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

theyoungconnoisseur wrote:None of the bikes I want to buy are available and ive never built a bike before. I would like something for sure under 14lbs without pedals.

I want an aero bike like the canyon aeroad style with 35mm front and 40-45mm rear tubeless aero wheels, 175mm cranks, 42cm wide bars.

Dont really care if electronic or mechanical groupset but would like hydraulic disc brakes.

Any advise?
If you’re not stuck on late model aero bikes. A rim brake Canyon Aeroroad numbers are still competitive in the wind tunnel and wheels sets for rim brake are all lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDY

by RDY

theyoungconnoisseur wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:40 am
hmmm, some good info so far.
I do want the shallow front wheel as I ride in Florida on the ocean and there is always wind. I had a set of 50's on my last bike and youd spend the ENTIRE ride fighting to keep the bike straight.
What were the wheels and how light are you? Also if you're on the Floridian coast, weight is basically just a number.

eurostar

by eurostar

Might as well go 1x. No hills. Also no need for a light bike. Spend 2k on it and buy a boat with the rest.

pmprego

by pmprego

Just buy a regular bike under the weight desired sized 54 invest $1k on very frequent yoga/pilates/physio classes/sessions and you become more aero than ever before.

spartacus

by spartacus

I'm not sure how much it weighs but if you can find a last gen aeroad rim brake frame, they're supposed to be really nice bikes. I guess I agree with others though, that setting an arbitrary weight goal may only lead to wasted money or compromises in functionality or durability with no performance gain.

IchDien

by IchDien

As others have mentioned if it is Florida then not too sure why you're interested in either weight or discs.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

pmprego wrote:Just buy a regular bike under the weight desired sized 54 invest $1k on very frequent yoga/pilates/physio classes/sessions and you become more aero than ever before.
Snug fitting clothing, aero helmet and properly sized tires are all good things you can do that cost you less to help out with aero. Unless you’re climbing 10% grades, a light aero bike will or light will do very little to help you overall than a very aero heavy bike. AERO wins 95% of the time over weight.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Ronin416 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:44 pm
pmprego wrote:Just buy a regular bike under the weight desired sized 54 invest $1k on very frequent yoga/pilates/physio classes/sessions and you become more aero than ever before.
Snug fitting clothing, aero helmet and properly sized tires are all good things you can do that cost you less to help out with aero. Unless you’re climbing 10% grades, a light aero bike will or light will do very little to help you overall than a very aero heavy bike. AERO wins 95% of the time over weight.

That's probably perticularly true in Florida where the highest point in the state is 345ft (105m) above sea level. Not a lot of climbing there.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com