Fastest Chain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TCRguy99

by TCRguy99

Hi WW,

I'm looking for a chain for my TT setup. It's a 1x11 Speed Concept. Since it's a TT bike, I'm looking for the most efficient chain possible. Lube isn't a concern, since I use Molten Speed Wax on all my bikes. Since I'm also a weight weenie at heart, I'm looking for something that isn't super heavy either.

BONUS POINTS FOR GOLD COLOR! I'm going for a gold theme on this bike.

I've always used KMC/ Dura-Ace and never had any issues--but recently some clients and riding buddies have been talking about some more exotic products--specifically YBN, which looks promising.

Thanks,
TCRguy99
16' Madone RSL - Ultegra di2 - 7.5kg
84' Guerciotti GLX neo-retro - Centaur 10s - 9.07kg
18' Trek Speed Concept UCI build - Sram Red 1x10 - unknown weight ATM
12' Ciocc Volpe CX bike - Shimano GRX - 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

YBN Sla 110 is really light, strong, durable, silent. The gold one has the Ti-n coating which is the fastest. The black has is as well. The silver one doesn’t.

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

I second this. https://silca.cc/collections/chain-lube ... 3016706146

I use the Dura-ace one, which apparently is currently the fastest chain on the market. Tested by a few different sources they all claim it to be a little bit faster than others. Silca then let's these chains go through a sludge with tiny diamonds(as I understand it) to completely polish these chains so the surface is even more even, from around 10nm to 2-3(somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The component tungsten disulfide in their wax is also 2-3nm large and thus creates very little friction in total. Expensive, but worth it.

If I may ask. What groupset are you running with your 1x11?(specifically your crankset) I'm planning to upgrade my speed concept but the only way to not go the SRAM way and still get an aero crankset is to use ROTOR as far as I can see. Shimano has no full body 1x crankset, I think.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

If you haven't already seen this, it's a good read:

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/chaintesting/
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

TCRguy99

by TCRguy99

SCJKJ wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm

I use the Dura-ace one, which apparently is currently the fastest chain on the market. Tested by a few different sources they all claim it to be a little bit faster than others. Silca then let's these chains go through a sludge with tiny diamonds(as I understand it) to completely polish these chains so the surface is even more even, from around 10nm to 2-3(somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The component tungsten disulfide in their wax is also 2-3nm large and thus creates very little friction in total. Expensive, but worth it.

If I may ask. What groupset are you running with your 1x11?(specifically your crankset) I'm planning to upgrade my speed concept but the only way to not go the SRAM way and still get an aero crankset is to use ROTOR as far as I can see. Shimano has no full body 1x crankset, I think.
I already wax my own chains, so while this looks appealing I don't think imma go with it. I'm using a Deore XT M8000 rear mech, Microshift bar end shifter, Sram Red cranks with a 52t wolftooth 1x chainring. Bit of a mix.
16' Madone RSL - Ultegra di2 - 7.5kg
84' Guerciotti GLX neo-retro - Centaur 10s - 9.07kg
18' Trek Speed Concept UCI build - Sram Red 1x10 - unknown weight ATM
12' Ciocc Volpe CX bike - Shimano GRX - 7.8kg

Mocs123

by Mocs123

YBN is what Friction Facts recomends, especially for people waxing their chains, but I beleive the Dura Ace was margainally faster for a short period. The YBN is availible in gold, the Dura Ace isn't.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Ronin416

by Ronin416

TCRguy99 wrote:
SCJKJ wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm

I already wax my own chains, so while this looks appealing I don't think imma go with it. I'm using a Deore XT M8000 rear mech, Microshift bar end shifter, Sram Red cranks with a 52t wolftooth 1x chainring. Bit of a mix.
Third that. Silca - any else is slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wltz

by wltz

I note you are running a Frankenstein drivetrain, in which case you might want to stick to KMC. I experienced poor shifting trying to run a YBN SLA110 with a Red cassette and UDi2 drivetrain. KMC SL and EL chains shift just fine. Also a fan of gold chains, which rules out Shimano for me.

steamroller

by steamroller

For those recommending that Silca package with pre-waxed chain, do you know why there is no SRAM Red 12sp option, only Force?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Red chain is actually slower but more durable than Force, isn't it?
The Red was made with very tight clearance, thus less slop and less stretch but higher friction.

AJS914

by AJS914

Note that Silca link has no chains in stock right now except for the YBN 11 speed - they are having a hard time getting chains like everybody else.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

steamroller wrote:For those recommending that Silca package with pre-waxed chain, do you know why there is no SRAM Red 12sp option, only Force?
The SRAM chain probably tests poorly.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Hexsense wrote:Red chain is actually slower but more durable than Force, isn't it?
The Red was made with very tight clearance, thus less slop and less stretch but higher friction.
I like using a SRAM 11 speed for winter training, but switch to all Shimano for racing season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com