Wahoo Speedplay Zero spindle swap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

steamroller wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:22 pm
Do the J&L spindles come with installation instructions, or did you follow some other guide when replacing spindles on your Wahoo pedals?
I doubt it but can't say for certain as J&L does not/will not make the -8 mm (45 mm) length spindles for my wife's pedals, thus the images I previously posted were for illustration and originally posted to another thread about Wahoo Zero's.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

steamroller

by steamroller

Have ordered the J&L ti spindles for my Wahoo Speedplay Zero, will report back once I have received and installed. Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

BigBoyND wrote:
Raymonndo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:27 pm
The J&L spindles I'm told have a 110kg limit so I think I will swap. The reason I didn't buy Nano is because I weigh over 82kg that it stated! Haha.
Do you believe this is an actual difference in Ti quality and not risk assessment? J&L has no legal or reputational risk.

This has made me wonder. Is J&L even an actual brand or entity? What prevents someone from listing a no-name spindle as J&L?
Second that, it’s a bit concerning as well. The weight saving vs product risk doesn’t seem worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milanv

by milanv

steamroller wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:48 pm
Have ordered the J&L ti spindles for my Wahoo Speedplay Zero, will report back once I have received and installed. Cheers!
Thanks.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

True on J&L concerns, however, J&L stock is usually sold by ebay by only one seller, many many people on here have used the old J&L Speedplay TI Spindles (myself included), I have not heard a single issue reported, including people who are >5w/Kg, who do a ton of riding/racing on these.

kode54

by kode54

There's a few sellers that carry J&L. I have personally bought from 3 different sellers...but who knows, could be the same person with 3 eBay accounts.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

quinndo

by quinndo

I just completed this swap using Wahoo Comp pedals and the aforementioned ti axles.

Did it because I am tired of waiting for news on the different spindle lengths that Wahoo mentioned at press release, but refuses to provide info on (they say contact local retailer, local retailers and fitters say they can't get any info.) Ihave been riding old speedplays that are ssuper worn and have a lot of lateral rocking due to the wear. So when I found out from this thread that the you could get spindles for the wahoo's I was stoked.

Ordered from ebay in 59mm. They arrived in about a week (I'm in Singapore, so things get here quickly from China).

With care and nervousness of breaking a bolt like the OP, I slowly started removing the sbolt holding the spindle. Both came free but there is loctite red there - seems Speedplay's way of making these non servicable (otherwise they seem serviceable to me, depending on your definition of the word.

Added some grea, new spindles fit perfectly, then tightned them back up. What can I say - this was really simple. Haven't yet ridden them though.

Comp weight (pair): 229.9g
With replacement ti 59mm spindles (pair): 186.1g

Comp spindle (ea): 56.1g
Ti 59mm J&L spindle: 34.3g

Hope this helsp anyone on the fence... especially those that need different length for fit that have been waiting so long holding on to their old pedals.

kode54

by kode54

Good to know. The cost difference from the Comp to the Nano is more than the cost of the J&L spindle.

Did you have to heat the bolt prior to removal, to break the red Loctite?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

stevesbike

by stevesbike

kode54 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:56 pm
There's a few sellers that carry J&L. I have personally bought from 3 different sellers...but who knows, could be the same person with 3 eBay accounts.
I get mine from ebay - the +3mm. It takes about 5 minutes a pedal to swap. About as easy in terms of mechanic skills as swapping out a chain.

quinndo

by quinndo

kode54 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Did you have to heat the bolt prior to removal, to break the red Loctite?
I did not - but it was close. One came out easy, and the second it felt like I was about to snap it (but it came out). I had the soldering iron ready but didn't use it. If you do go with preheating use soldering iron- you need one with a fine tip to get inside the pedal to the bolt without melting the plastic part of the pedal. And then need to play the "operation" game a little probably best if the pedal is in a vice or secured in some way other than just your hand.
kode54 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:56 pm
I got mine from eBay user pingthyy2010
stevesbike wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:09 pm
I get mine from ebay - the +3mm. It takes about 5 minutes a pedal to swap. About as easy in terms of mechanic skills as swapping out a chain.
Easier than a chain. No need to deal with finding the correct chain length! I'd equate the job to changing a saddle, except you might get grease on your hands (eek!)

kode54

by kode54

I did a swap on a new pair of chromoly Wahoo pedals with a set of J&L titanium spindles.

A few things to note. Do not use a ball end hex wrench. The 3mm bolt that holds the spindle is tight but doesn't really require much force once you use a quality 3mm hex wrench. I was a bit cautious as others have said that it is difficult to remove. Tight, but not difficult. Easier swap than previous Speedplay versions and less messy since sealed bearings are used. Since these were new, when I removed the chromoly spindles, there was a slight smear of grease...not heavily greased. Maybe I should have added more grease...but for this swap, I did not. The J&L titanium spindles fit perfect unlike previous versions where the fitment was not 100%. Easy swap and saved quite a few $ from the Nano version.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

scico

by scico

Difference between Zero and Comp is only on spindles material, right?
Wich ebay seller did you buy from?

milanv

by milanv

scico wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
Difference between Zero and Comp is only on spindles material, right?
Wich ebay seller did you buy from?
It was mentioned several times here, 2 posts above and in another related threads.

robeambro

by robeambro

Has there been an answer from Wahoo on whether they've solved the issues with play? Would be considering a set but I can't be bothered with trying potentially several pairs until I find one that works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Has anyone replaced the plate on their new speedplays with the titanium one from dulight?

https://www.dulight.fr/en/roadgravel/17 ... wahoo.html