Wahoo Speedplay Zero spindle swap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steamroller

by steamroller

Hi weenies,

Looking at getting either the Wahoo Speedplay Zero and doing a J&L spindle swap, or forking out for the Nanos.

There are plenty of threads here about the aftermarket spindles, but has anyone done the spindle swap on the newer Wahoo models? Is it relatively easy? Seems a bit crazy to pay double for the Nanos.

Cheers

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Don't think you can do the swap on the new ones yet.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm
Don't think you can do the swap on the new ones yet.
J&L is selling them now on eBay
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Ah cool man

steamroller

by steamroller

Has anyone here actually done it on the new pedals though? Keen to hear from others' experiences.

milanv

by milanv

steamroller wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:49 am
Has anyone here actually done it on the new pedals though? Keen to hear from others' experiences.
Me too, hear it for the first time, Wahoo Speedplays are very hardly to disassemble...

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

Interesting! I wonder how heavy the standard spindles are on the Zero/Comp's.

Do we know if J&L spindles have a rider weight limit?

ms6073

by ms6073

milanv wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:42 am
Me too, hear it for the first time, Wahoo Speedplays are very hardly to disassemble...
Curious where that is comming from? The most difficult part of disassembling the Wahoo Speedplay, is removing the small rubber press-fit plug from the pedal body in order to access the spindle retaining bolt.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

The J&L spindles I'm told have a 110kg limit so I think I will swap. The reason I didn't buy Nano is because I weigh over 82kg that it stated! Haha.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I did the old mod on two sets of speedplays super easy

ms6073

by ms6073

While it is good to see J&L making aftermarket spindles, I am disappointed they are not planning to offer the shorter spindles for the Wahoo Zero pedals as they did before for the legacy Speedplay Zero. My wife has highly calibrated knees and I retrofited her Speedplay Zero's with Ward 45 mm (-8mm) Ti spindles. Given the improvements to the design, I was hoping she would be able to adapt to the 53 mm standard spindles of the Wahoo Zero's but after a single 1-hour trainer ride, I am no wondering how to get custom length spindles - wonder if Sigei would make me some? :noidea:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

steamroller

by steamroller

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:40 pm
milanv wrote:
Curious where that is comming from? The most difficult part of disassembling the Wahoo Speedplay, is removing the small rubber press-fit plug from the pedal body in order to access the spindle retaining bolt.

Do the J&L spindles come with installation instructions, or did you follow some other guide when replacing spindles on your Wahoo pedals?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Raymonndo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:27 pm
The J&L spindles I'm told have a 110kg limit so I think I will swap. The reason I didn't buy Nano is because I weigh over 82kg that it stated! Haha.
Do you believe this is an actual difference in Ti quality and not risk assessment? J&L has no legal or reputational risk.

This has made me wonder. Is J&L even an actual brand or entity? What prevents someone from listing a no-name spindle as J&L?

refthimos

by refthimos

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:30 pm
This has made me wonder. Is J&L even an actual brand or entity? What prevents someone from listing a no-name spindle as J&L?
The J&L account on eBay (pingthyy2010) has a feedback count of > 30K. I haven't seen another eBay account purporting to be J&L.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:40 pm
milanv wrote:

OK, it looks very promising...
I have read it before, but your facts are clear...