Giant TCR SL & Specialized Aethos. Similar or just me ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

When the Aethos first came out I immediately thought it looked like a TCR but I have not seen this opinion anywhere. So I thought I'd make a comparison GIF and share my thoughts.
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

NHWhites

by NHWhites

There are a few differences here and there along with price. TCR is highly regarded on this forum. Most important difference to me was LBS in New England had the Aethos Pro in Force and UDi2 to test ride in my size when I was looking to buy. No TCRs in my area to try. Having really liked the ride, I opened my wallet (wide) and bought the Aethos with UDi2.
2021 Specialized Aethos Pro Ultegra Di2
2019 Cannondale Topstone AL 105
2011 Cervelo R3 Rival

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

Last edited by bobones on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zirxo

by zirxo

I'm still bumbed I couldn't get the Astral Aura colourway and had to end up with the chrysocolla colourway. It looks amazing in the flesh!

NealH

by NealH

I like the Atheos because I too am no fan of proprietery seat posts. As well, I like that the Atheos can take a large tire and, a lifetime warranty to the original owner. When I ride with faster groups, I don't pull a lot. If I did, I might consider an aero road frame like the SL7 but frankly, the speed difference is virtaully all academic. The Atheos is light, nimble and compliant. That's what I like. The giant is too for that matter. Both good bikes.

parleez1

by parleez1

I owned a 2019 Giant TCR SL0 rim brake M/L for two years (bought in 2018), it was a great bike, but the geometry was not perfect for me, I'm 5'11". Last October I sold it and purchased an Aethos Pro disc with SRAM Force AXS, love it! It fits me so much better than the Giant did, a bit shorter top tube and slightly different frame angles, I can run 28mm tires, and with disc brakes I don't worry about wear on carbon fiber rims from braking etc. The Giant was very close in weight but I like the Aethos so much more. Of course when I sold it shipping it was a real headache with the seat mast. Everyone is differnt, ride what fits and rocks your boat!

darrydonds

by darrydonds

NealH wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:50 pm
I like the Atheos because I too am no fan of proprietery seat posts. As well, I like that the Atheos can take a large tire and, a lifetime warranty to the original owner. When I ride with faster groups, I don't pull a lot. If I did, I might consider an aero road frame like the SL7 but frankly, the speed difference is virtaully all academic. The Atheos is light, nimble and compliant. That's what I like. The giant is too for that matter. Both good bikes.
The TCR, like the Aethos, accepts up to 32mm tyres.

bas

by bas

TCR is an amazing bike, only possible downside is the integrated post. Otherwise it just makes the aethos look ridiculously overpriced.

pmprego

by pmprego

The geometries tables between the TCR and the Aethos are not exactly the same (at least for size 54/M whcih I've looked). The TCR is at least 10mm longer.

I guess you are referring to the women's version of the tcr: Liv Langma.

The Liv Langma has the exact same geometry of the Aethos (and the sl7 and venge and sl6 which are all the same). Again, for size 54 there is just one detail that is different which is the head tube angle: 72.5 in the liv and 73 for the aethos.

Funny how the marketing materials from liv is "after deeply analyzing women's bodies, we achieved the perfect women geometry" - which is a carbon copy from the specialized aethos/tarmac.
Last edited by pmprego on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

There should be a weight difference? no?

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm
Jimmypragmatic wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:08 pm
When the Aethos first came out I immediately thought it looked like a TCR but I have not seen this opinion anywhere. So I thought I'd make a comparison GIF and share my thoughts.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Amazingly similar geometry when you see them together like that.

I am seriously considering buying an Advanced SL frameset to replace my old Scott CR1. It's one of the last great, light, rim brake frames, and there is stock around, but I am not sold on the integrated seat mast nor the astral aura colourway. Just need someone to talk me into it :mrgreen:
I'd consider it if you like the look of the bike. Being an owner myself the ISP is very good when its not an issue. As soon as you need to make small adjusments or take the bike somewhere it becomes more apparent.

pmprego

by pmprego

Jimmypragmatic wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 am
bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm
Jimmypragmatic wrote:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Amazingly similar geometry when you see them together like that.

I am seriously considering buying an Advanced SL frameset to replace my old Scott CR1. It's one of the last great, light, rim brake frames, and there is stock around, but I am not sold on the integrated seat mast nor the astral aura colourway. Just need someone to talk me into it :mrgreen:
I'd consider it if you like the look of the bike. Being an owner myself the ISP is very good when its not an issue. As soon as you need to make small adjusments or take the bike somewhere it becomes more apparent.
Just like fully integrated cables. Looks very nice until you need to put your bike on a bag and you have the "oh f***" moment.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Jimmypragmatic wrote:
They're both non-aero racing bikes with conventional angles, external cables, sloping TTs and seatstays that join at the TT junction. Otherwise known as normal bikes. We're just past the end of a 15 year period where nearly everything looked like that.

But apart from the approximate silhouette, every single tube shape on those bikes is drastically different. The design philosophy there could hardly be more different.

pmprego

by pmprego

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am
Jimmypragmatic wrote:
They're both non-aero racing bikes with conventional angles, external cables, sloping TTs and seatstays that join at the TT junction. Otherwise known as normal bikes. We're just past the end of a 15 year period where nearly everything looked like that.

But apart from the approximate silhouette, every single tube shape on those bikes is drastically different. The design philosophy there could hardly be more different.
And yet, the one that matches the aethos geometry - Liv Langma - has a review from someone specifically saying: " it reminded me strongly of the Specialized Aethos". So... someone who tried both thinks they ride very close to each other.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/l ... c-red-etap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GS100

by GS100

Geometry may be similar but I suspect Aethos is lighter and TCR is stiffer. The TCR's stiffness to weight has always been it's USP. As per the above post, tube shapes differ. BB86 vs threaded. Neither would be a bad bike but availability and price may sway it for you. I suspect discs will remove some of these advantages and may equalise the two frames further.

One particular weakness of the TCR is also it's strength: The ISP, particularly if a long length, gives a direct, connected feel, saves weight, yet a smooth and comfortable ride. But when I hurt my back in last year I could not ride it as I couldn't lower the height at all and was loathe to cut the mast, obviously. So you are trading a lot of convenience for a certain performance benefit. It may not be worth it to you.

(PS my 2015 TCR Adv sl is a size L and is currently 6.65 kg with all mounts/ pedals with 46mm tubulars and ride data suggests it's just as fast as my 'aero' bike over rolling terrain, likely because I can get low and long on it and geo is traditional agressive race bike type).