Pon Holdings buys Dorel Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Miller wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:49 pm
I keep reading this thread title as P0rn holdings...
Is it just me? Sorry.
The first thing they will do is redesign the top caps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:28 pm
2) Awful color palettes and pain themes
Current owner of 2 'Dales, and previously 2 more, and yes the colourways really don't do the bikes any favours
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Stendhal

by Stendhal

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:05 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 pm
Locally the newly Pon-owned Mike's Bikes started selling Giant and Scott...they will almost certainly start selling Cannondale too.
Well now that certainly helps shed more light on why Specialized and Mike's Bikes parted ways not to long ago.
Son of a gun, I think you're right. The Mike's site basically does not have any Specialized road bikes. I am a huge Mike's fan (just picked up a new build 19 days ago) and thought the declining Spex supply in their shops was more COVID-related. That's a major change.

Then again, they don't have Giant road yet. Who knows if they will take Cervelo and Cannondale.

PON, in my opinion, has been good for Cervelo. It funded refreshes of the S and R models, plus the new Aspero and Caledonia, plus hooked Cervelo up with Jumbo-Visma, and unlike Cannondale improved the graphics. Thus I'm optimistic about Mike's.

What I wonder whether we'll ever see is a pro team that uses two sister brand bikes. Remember when van Aert was riding an unbranded Cervelo in development for cross because Cervelo didn't have an official model yet? In situations like that, use a Cannondale or Focus.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

ms6073

by ms6073

Stendhal wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:58 am
ms6073 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:05 pm
Well now that certainly helps shed more light on why Specialized and Mike's Bikes parted ways not to long ago.
Son of a gun, I think you're right. The Mike's site basically does not have any Specialized road bikes. I am a huge Mike's fan (just picked up a new build 19 days ago) and thought the declining Spex supply in their shops was more COVID-related. That's a major change.
Having got my wife a new set of Specialized Ares a few months back, I was surprised to get an email not long after outlining the split with Specialized. Although we live in Texas, we have been long time customers as my wife will only use Specialiized shoes and Mike's typically was one of the few online sites with stock in her size seeing as Specialized was typically sold out online within days of new releases.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

maquisard wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:48 pm
I think some of that was also due to the departure of Denk and Damon Rinard coming to Cannondale.

I loved the old flat top tube System Six and upto Caad10/12. New Cannondale holds no appeal to me, just like their boring generic logo nowadays
Give me a flat TT SuperSix without a fat a** stem and I am on it tomorrow (pending colorway designs)

maquisard

by maquisard

I blame the current lack of appeal on current Cannondale completely at Damon Rinard.

Denk design was the golden age of Cannondale in early 2010s. Denk built upon the great Caad heritage of the company and added to it. When he left and Rinard came to the job, he was aero-obsessed and lost sight of the reason people bought Cannondale bikes - they were light weight, great ride qualities and looked good. Great bicycles! Rinard took the soul of Cannondale and defaecated on it, now Cannondale feels like a souless brand like Merida.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

That's bollocks. As if an employee at Rinard's level unilaterally decides the styles of bike the company will sell. As if Cannondale didn't headhunt a lead designer from the (then) most aerofocussed brand in the world because they'd already decided they wanted aero. As if a major bike brand sponsoring a protour race team could get away with not having aero bike offerings.

And ride quality? Find a more comfortable pure race bike than the Evo 3.

maquisard

by maquisard

Disagree - it was inevitable that Cannondale needed to add aero features - this is not disputed. The hiring of Rinard was not headhunting but reactionary to the loss of Denk. His pursuit of aero-dynamics at all cost rather than considering the complete bike as a system has had a detrimental effect on the Cannondale brand.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bull.

Cannondale's issues aren't design related...it's marketing and the size of the company. They can't compete with Trek, Specialized or Giant in the US, their biggest market. They don't have nearly as many IBD partners and have thus reached out to bigger chains like REI and Sports Basement for sales volume. Rinard also isn't responsible for making all their 2019-2020 bikes black, gray or beige. Rinard wasn't responsible for leaving QR on the 2017 CAAD12 and SuperSix.

spartan

by spartan

Rinard the incompetent who gave us this. and also designed some crap bikes for TREK/CERVELO

his last mess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u4_Ep8JbY8

they have the WORST paint schemes in the industry. #Fail. marketing non-existant. i remember the glory years when they sponsored super mario and then sagan/ denk worked for them.in both cases specialized spent the $$$$$ stole both superstars away. the rest is history.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I mean if you hold Denk in such high regard, Specialized is right now going through a major recall due to crap design.

spartan

by spartan

the current fiasco i suspect is the bean counters and not denk. if you look at all his release starting with the sl6/roubaix/venge/aethos/sl7 only one minor screw up. all these bikes have been top of class vs trek/cannondale/giant.

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 am
I mean if you hold Denk in such high regard, Specialized is right now going through a major recall due to crap design.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Denk didn't fully lead the Tarmac, right?
All his signature bikes (old Scott Addict, Supersix Evo) and now Aethos and new Crux all have round tube.
Tarmac SL7 that got fork/headset recall is too aero shaped to be entirely his idea. It's not his specialty.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Denk has been working exclusively with Specialized since 2014, so what do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

he had a hand in the stumpjumper.. not exactly round tubes
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package