Pon Holdings buys Dorel Sports

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

coffeeaddict

by coffeeaddict

Wow, bringing Cervelo, Focus, Santa Cruz, Cannondale and GT all under one banner. https://cyclingindustry.news/dorel-spor ... lion-deal/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Thinking aloud but wonder what this will mean for Cannondale and Cervelo...

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Don't think it'll mean much for Cervelo but it could be good for Cannondale and particularly GT. I don't think Dorel were particularly great at investing in them.

coffeeaddict

by coffeeaddict

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 pm
Don't think it'll mean much for Cervelo but it could be good for Cannondale and particularly GT. I don't think Dorel were particularly great at investing in them.
I have some insider knowledge that at least in regards to Cannondale that this isn't true. They started a project a few years ago with the idea of looking at all the bike segment leaders and to design and produce product that was on par or better. This brought us the new Scalpel, Super Six Evo, System Six and more to come. They dumped huge money into this project and have been pretty successful, doesn't mean it hasn't been without some quality control issues.

RDY

by RDY

coffeeaddict wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:59 pm
Karvalo wrote:
I have some insider knowledge that at least in regards to Cannondale that this isn't true. They started a project a few years ago with the idea of looking at all the bike segment leaders and to design and produce product that was on par or better. This brought us the new Scalpel, Super Six Evo, System Six and more to come. They dumped huge money into this project and have been pretty successful, doesn't mean it hasn't been without some quality control issues.
Huge amounts of money was indeed spent. But virtually nothing on senior mechanical or materials engineers, or industrial designers. Hence some of the spectacular failures.

Anway, what this will likely mean is that the combined group will use its increased collective buying and bargaining power with the OEMs to push the cost and quality even lower on frames and forks, with predictable results.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I believe this will impact local retail a lot more than it impacts existing Dorel brands themselves. All of a sudden incumbent Cannondale dealers are going to have to deal with dealers who have accounts with Pon.

Locally the newly Pon-owned Mike's Bikes started selling Giant and Scott...they will almost certainly start selling Cannondale too. This doesn't bode well for their competitors. It'll be musical chairs and extra headaches as the various shops realign.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Does this mean we're getting Reserve wheels OE on Cannondales?

I look forward to BB30Right-83 Ai shells.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

coffeeaddict wrote:
They started a project a few years ago with the idea of looking at all the bike segment leaders and to design and produce product that was on par or better. This brought us the new Scalpel, Super Six Evo, System Six and more to come.
Uhhh... Isn't this what any big bike brand (Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc.) should be striving to do anyway? Without any sort of special secret project and money injection behind it? :smartass:
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc
2018 Specialized Epic HT Comp Carbon
2019 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Karvalo

by Karvalo

coffeeaddict wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
Cannondale made industry leading bikes when they were bought by Dorel. If they slipped away from that (in reality or public perception) it was under Dorel's watch.

maquisard

by maquisard

I think some of that was also due to the departure of Denk and Damon Rinard coming to Cannondale.

I loved the old flat top tube System Six and upto Caad10/12. New Cannondale holds no appeal to me, just like their boring generic logo nowadays

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I see a lot of Cannondales as that is what our LBS sells (along with Scott), but for some reason they don't seem the kind of appeal they had a few years ago.
2015 Wilier Zero.7
2017 Trek Domane SLR-7 Disk

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 pm
Locally the newly Pon-owned Mike's Bikes started selling Giant and Scott...they will almost certainly start selling Cannondale too.
Well now that certainly helps shed more light on why Specialized and Mike's Bikes parted ways not to long ago.
- Michael
"Solving problems you didn't know you had in ways you probably won't understand"

Miller

by Miller

I keep reading this thread title as P0rn holdings...
Is it just me? Sorry.

coffeeaddict

by coffeeaddict

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am
coffeeaddict wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
Cannondale made industry leading bikes when they were bought by Dorel. If they slipped away from that (in reality or public perception) it was under Dorel's watch.

There is no question that for a period of time, Cannondale lost it's way under Dorel.

I also agree with the comment someone made about their bikes not really having the appeal that they used to, at least not across the entire line up. I think the halo products are very desirable but as you trikle back through the line they really slip. For example, the new Scalpel and Scalpel SE are very nice with massive appeal. The farther you slide down the price scale on their MTB line up though, yikes.

Same with the road line up, the CAAD bikes where value game changers for a long time, not so much anymore.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Two things in recent memory steered me away from Cannondale race bikes.

1) Rear QR on their MY2017 SuperSix and CAAD12
2) Awful color palettes and paint themes

I don't think you can really attribute either to Dorel ownership rather than a small number of individuals who made those decisions independent of their corporate ownership.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com