Where is the sound coming from?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AgMar

by AgMar

Hello everyone, this is another post about where is the sound coming from?!

Background: it's an Ultegra 11-30 cassette, Ultegra 11 speed chain, DA 9100 PM cranks on an Aethos, Enve 3.4's with DT Swiss 240 hub.

The sound is not a creak, or a whine, but more like a chain rubbing sound. The sound is low pitched. It doesn't happen out of the saddle, or big power efforts, or climbing, or coasting / freewheeling. It only happens around the lower gears, with the chain on the big ring, when spinning normally and gently, almost on every revolution of the crank, there'll be the sound, so it's not a constant sound when peddling.

I've cleaned the freehub, re greased, removed the cassette and reinstalled, cleaned the chain, tried loosening the jockey wheels, checked that the chain isn't rubbing against the FD, but there's still that weird sound.

Does anyone have any ideas or come across something like that on their bikes?

Thanks

Karvalo

by Karvalo

If it sounds like chain rub it's probably chain rub. You say you've checked it's not rubbing the FD but have you accounted for flex? Otherwise it could simply be the chain rumbling on the rings and cogs. 9100/8000 just runs louder than previous gen Shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Check chainring bolts. Could flex if one is not torqued properly or loose. Use anti-seize when reassembling.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AgMar

by AgMar

It's really difficult to explain the sound, as it's not a creak or a whine, but the best I can come up with is it sounds like metal on metal. It doesn't make the noise under load, so flex wise not sure. Will check the chain ring bolts which is something I have not checked so far. Trying to isolate where it's coming from, it seems like it's the cassette / RD / jockey wheels, which is why I have so far focused on those areas.

kode54

by kode54

Chain too long?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

coffeeaddict

by coffeeaddict

Just to be clear, the sound only shows up when in the large chainring and the lower (I.e. higher tooth count) rear cassette gears? If so that's probably down to the poor chain line and possibly the indexing being slightly out.

kode54

by kode54

Big big? Di2?

Then use the chainring trim function.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

gorkypl

by gorkypl

+1 for the new generation being loud on higher gears. Changing lube helps a bit.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

AgMar

by AgMar

The sound is when it's big ring / big cogs, usually around the 6th - 11th cogs. Di2. Chain line is not an issue I think. I use Squirt and it makes the drivetrain almost silent, apart from this weird intermittant sound, in specific circumstances. Thanks for all suggestions. Will relube and check chain rub, plus the chain ring bolts

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Record a video clip of the sound if possible.

smokva

by smokva

Usually you can hear "metal sound" if you are cross-chaining big-big. With 11 speed setup last 3 big cogs will sound different. If it's on the last 6 cogs as you have said (usually around the 6th - 11th cogs) something else is not setup properly. Check chainline, chain wear, FD cage rub, hight of pulleys, chain length...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just spitting out a few possibilities…

B-screw adjustment?
Chain routed under instead of over the pin that braces RD cage?

basilic

by basilic

I once had a sound like this (big-big) from the chain rubbing the underside of the fd cage (not the sides); the fd had slipped down somehow.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

basilic wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 pm
I once had a sound like this (big-big) from the chain rubbing the underside of the fd cage (not the sides); the fd had slipped down somehow.
Oh right, that's another sneaky one. Sometimes the top of an FD cage has a little nub on the inside face that guides the chain during upshifts.

Kingstonian

by Kingstonian

Have you found the source of the sound yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com