Suggestions on how to fix bib eating Selle Italia SLR C59 saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RNAV

by RNAV

Love the C59 saddle . . . didn't realize it was eating my shorts until just recently. Interestingly, it's the rear edge of the saddle that's giving me trouble.

What are your recommendations for smoothing the edge so that it doesn't cut into my bibs? I've tried electrical tape -- which works, but loses it's stickiness when the temperatures drop.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

That's a raw carbon saddle isn't it? Have you tried sanding down any sharp edges?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RNAV

by RNAV

Mocs123 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:18 pm
That's a raw carbon saddle isn't it? Have you tried sanding down any sharp edges?
Correct, raw carbon saddle. No, haven't tried that yet. I was hoping to find some other solution that would allow me to avoid sanding it.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I bought some Bontrager XXX bottle cages from eBay (I'm sure they were knockoffs but they meet the weight requirement) that started to abrade against my Elite water bottles near the top. A little fine grit sandpaper fixed it with little effort.

If you don't want to sand, perhaps some black Gorilla tape or black athletic tape instead of electrical tape?

Or perhaps some edging like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Trim-Black- ... 9P3NG?th=1
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

RNAV

by RNAV

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into some clear gorilla tape first, then contemplate sanding if the tape doesn't do what I need.

joejack951

by joejack951

Depending what’s going on, maybe some clear nail polish to coat the exposed fiber edges?

Juha

by Juha

I do not know this particular saddle, but are you sure that you know which part of the saddle is destroying your bibs?

Is there a rough tape in the carbon rails? If yes, that's something that can also destroy bibs very fast.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Juha wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 pm
I do not know this particular saddle, but are you sure that you know which part of the saddle is destroying your bibs?

Is there a rough tape in the carbon rails? If yes, that's something that can also destroy bibs very fast.
A saddle bag attachment (looking at you cannondale) or the zipper can have the same effect too.

If it is actually the saddle and you are not comfortable fixing it yourself, find a (good) shop where they repair or modify cars, should be a very easy job for a skilled worker.

RNAV

by RNAV

Yep, I know exactly what part of the saddle is damaging my bibs. Upon closer inspection, there's a crack in the clear coat on the left rear portion of the saddle (which corresponds to holes in the left rear portion of all of my Assos bibs 😡). I don't run a saddle bag at all, and there's no tape on the carbon rails.

velov

by velov

1500 grit wet sandpaper

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RNAV wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 pm
Yep, I know exactly what part of the saddle is damaging my bibs. Upon closer inspection, there's a crack in the clear coat on the left rear portion of the saddle (which corresponds to holes in the left rear portion of all of my Assos bibs 😡). I don't run a saddle bag at all, and there's no tape on the carbon rails.
I agree with the sandpaper, but it's a very expensive saddle, so why not use another saddle a while and do a warranty claim on your C-59 saddle?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RNAV

by RNAV

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:50 am
RNAV wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 pm
I agree with the sandpaper, but it's a very expensive saddle, so why not use another saddle a while and do a warranty claim on your C-59 saddle?
Normally, I would. However, given the current shipping times and inventory delays, it's not worth it.

Case in point: I purchased a SLR Tekno Superflow (C-59, but with padding) from Pro Bike Kit back in Aug. It broke after a handful of rides, so I contacted them for a warranty replacement. They won't get inventory again until early Nov, which means it'll be late Nov before I get the replacement. I can't be down two saddles for 3 months! So sandpaper it is . . . .