S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Supersix56

by Supersix56

ryanw wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:16 pm
The shim is tight AF and not easy to install.
There's no way it's falling out.
Durianriders videos prove otherwise. Make a response video to his ones where he clearly shows how the new shim has the potential to cut into the steerer if there is a bit of play in the headset. Maybe it also varies batch to batch in terms of frame tolerances. Hambini mentioned that risk factor.

If your shim is tight then good for you but for others it is not. Probably the best thing if you want an SL7 is test all the headset tolerances and then buy the one that is the smallest diameter and test your headset every ride, mid ride etc.

If you drop your fork out every 1000km or so or replace it after every hard bump then I agree you should be fine. No need to panic.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Amazing how I've built 30+ of these bikes, probably 25 with the new mk2 compression ring, all of which have been tight AF when installing the sleeve (hence my earlier comment).

Also none of these bikes have flexed like an empty coke bottle.

Strange that.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Supersix56

by Supersix56

ryanw wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:40 pm
Amazing how I've built 30+ of these bikes, probably 25 with the new mk2 compression ring, all of which have been tight AF when installing the sleeve (hence my earlier comment).

Strange that.
You should do a reaction video to Durianriders recent SL7 videos then where he shows how loose the split ring shim sits and how squeezy the downtube is on 2 of his S-Works SL7 Tarmac framesets.

I guess the cheap sl7 are heavier and more stiffer due to less engineering. What do you think? More weight would mean less mushy downtube yeah?
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

The squeeze test is the biggest load of BS, storm in a teacup. I'm not doubting that the downtube can be squeezed but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the bike frame. A point load compressive force isn't the load case for a downtube so the whole thing is irrelevant. If you want a light frame you need to remove lazy material and the downtube is a prime area for this.

vinny

by vinny

Just to add there is Luescher Teknik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-HA9_qhsXw
that basically says the same as above. Don't do the squeeze test and its BS.

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

My split ring was/is snug as a bug. Durianrider the same guy that claimed the C38 rovals are the same as the "clx wheels" in his SL7 build video? I'm sure he is still uncovering the truth about Phil Gaimon. Any day now...

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

TwiggyForest wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:19 am
The squeeze test is the biggest load of BS, storm in a teacup. I'm not doubting that the downtube can be squeezed but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the bike frame.
you've been able to visibly squeeze frames like this for decades. TBH I'm a lot happier with slightly squeezy CF frames than I ever was with massively OS aluminium frames.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Last edited by Ride4Life on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Last edited by Ride4Life on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

TwiggyForest wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:19 am
The squeeze test is the biggest load of BS, storm in a teacup. I'm not doubting that the downtube can be squeezed but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the bike frame. A point load compressive force isn't the load case for a downtube so the whole thing is irrelevant. If you want a light frame you need to remove lazy material and the downtube is a prime area for this.
Rynho is a professional mechanic and says they are stiff as. What is your reply to that? :)
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Supersix56

by Supersix56

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 am
My split ring was/is snug as a bug. Durianrider the same guy that claimed the C38 rovals are the same as the "clx wheels" in his SL7 build video? I'm sure he is still uncovering the truth about Phil Gaimon. Any day now...
How much did you pay for your SL7? Would you buy Durianriders? He has 2 and it is becoming a national joke on facebook marketplace how cheap they are listed for but nobody wants them haha.

Seems like the Aussies dont like recall products like the rest of us do.

Watch his latest video on the split ring. It is loose as. Would easily fall off when the SL7 fork snaps in half over a stiff bump.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Supersix56

by Supersix56

ryanw wrote:

Strange that.
Durianrider and Hambini made a video about your comment and how wrong you are. Could you do a response video because right now they seem right about what they said. Would be good to have a pro mechanic like you debate them.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They're sold out in the UK until Easter. Latest shipment came into port last week and pretty much every single bike and frameset has been presold.

Even though I've never had a flexing SL7 in, I have had Factor VAMs in where the TT is super thin and compresses quite a bit. They're still a fantastic bike and super stiff / direct when riding. I'm sure the engineers desinging them are aware of this, to the point they put a sticker on the TT saying "do not sit".

If all SL7s were flexy, it still wouldn't mean they're about to explode into a million pieces or that they were "bad" bikes.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Supersix56 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:22 pm
ryanw wrote:

Strange that.
Durianrider and Hambini made a video about your comment and how wrong you are. Could you do a response video because right now they seem right about what they said. Would be good to have a pro mechanic like you debate them.
Good for them. I shall struggle to sleep tonight.

I'm also not a pro mechainc, this is a hobby.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Sold out in our country too. A lot pre-ordering even after watching durianrider's comedy videos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com