S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Just saw this on Durianriders Youtube and Insta. Someone from Specialized leaked it to him apparently.

I can't find anything on the Specialized website though.

Is he trolling or is this legit?

He alleges that Specialized is recalling a SL7 Tarmac headset part, some damaged SL7 forks and including a longer plug for the SL7 steerer.

Has anyone seen anything from Specialzied confirming what was leaked to Durianrider and how on earth did he get it before GCN, CyclingTips etc?
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Robius

by Robius

Yet another drama for bike indusrty. It looks %100 legit, it's weird it's leaked tho.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dat

by Dat

It's on Specialized's website for the trade. They're only recalling the steerer plug. It is being made public on the 12th.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Dat wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:47 am
It's on Specialized's website for the trade. They're only recalling the steerer plug. It is being made public on the 12th.
Durianrider's leaked files on his Youtube videos indicate new forks, headset split ring and an extension to the current steerer plug are being provided in some cases. Looks like a nightmare for any SL7 owners and sellers having to faff around with this on such a new and expensive bike.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

chris1234

by chris1234

Imagine getting a different shade of paint on the new fork for a $12,000 bike. I would be going full Karen at that point.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

As much as people might hate him, he kinda called it, back when the SL7 was released...

gruppetto

by gruppetto

Should't this be a problem with the Venge too, that has pretty much the same system for the internal routing and the same expander plug?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Anyone confirm the same recall for the Venge? I did a custom build for a customer lately and seriously even without the recall I thought the whole integration was a bit pissed. As ugly as the integration on the propel was, at least the cables were run through non restricted through a dedicated port BEHIND the steerer.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I'm wondering the same. Should I order the same part for my venge? Venge PN is S182500010, old SL7 part is S202500008, and the new one is apparently S212500016. So the Venge and SL7 compression rings did not have the same part number.

gruppetto

by gruppetto

I just checked my Venge with +20k km, nothing suspicious there, everything looks perfect and I realised that the constructions is a bit different (I guess because of the available space in bigger steerer tube). Like I said in the main SL7 topic, totally anectodal but my bet would be that the Venge is not affected.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

How many recalls of internally routed bike parts are we going to have to endure before the industry finally says "you know what, this stupid vanity exercise of internally routed cables goes against good engineering practices and were not going to do it anymore"? Feels like a threaded bottom bracket moment.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:15 pm
How many recalls of internally routed bike parts are we going to have to endure before the industry finally says "you know what, this stupid vanity exercise of internally routed cables goes against good engineering practices and were not going to do it anymore"? Feels like a threaded bottom bracket moment.
Lol, nah. Fork recalls are relatively common. There have been loads of them on normal bikes over the years too.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:15 pm
The difference is, that pf bottom brackets, especially bb86, is far superior from an engineering standpoint. The problem is, that manufacturers cant get the tolerances right...

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

Looks like it's legit. None of the cycling websites are covering it but Hambini has a bit on his website about it.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

CarlosTheJackal wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Looks like it's legit. None of the cycling websites are covering it but Hambini has a bit on his website about it.
True that. Hambini quoting Durianrider. Are these 2 in business together?
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com