S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

all forks are subject to impact damage, but not all forks get recalled.

sorry if this has been identified already, but what's improved with the new compression ring? more surface area? less clamp gap and smaller ID for more even distribution?

Aeo

by Aeo

Chamfered edge I guess
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Got a call from my dealer yestersay. Parts are in today. Swappable tomorrow. They call everyone who bought the bike. Given the price, not that many. But this is quite a smooth experience for a recall. My sl7 is one of the first batch so came with v1 black compression ring. No problem so far whatsoever.

ill principe

by ill principe

Stopped by my LBS yesterday, parts arrives next week. Will do swap myself.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

Stueys

by Stueys

ome rodriguez wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Some framesets and built bikes this year already came with the updated compression ring like yours so you'll just need the new extended expander plug.
Which suggests that Spesh have known there was an issue for some time, given the likely severity of any problems occuring it's surprising that they are only acting now

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Really have known about it for some time!...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159060&p=1647627&hi ... m#p1647627
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

pmprego

by pmprego

Stueys wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 am
ome rodriguez wrote:

Some framesets and built bikes this year already came with the updated compression ring like yours so you'll just need the new extended expander plug.
Which suggests that Spesh have known there was an issue for some time, given the likely severity of any problems occuring it's surprising that they are only acting now
Or they thought it was a really low probability event thus not urgent. Don't know. Nonetheless, if they don't take action they are criticized. If they do take action they criticized because it was to late. If they take action before getting ready to solve the problem they would be critized for leaving people "empty handed". Oh well... Does anyone know the solution to the aeroad problems?? Anything so far??

Stueys

by Stueys

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 am
Really have known about it for some time!...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159060&p=1647627&hi ... m#p1647627
Ouch, yep! Back in Feb which means they made manufacturing change the previous year...

Stueys

by Stueys

pmprego wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:50 am
Stueys wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 am
ome rodriguez wrote:

Or they thought it was a really low probability event thus not urgent. Don't know. Nonetheless, if they don't take action they are criticized. If they do take action they criticized because it was to late. If they take action before getting ready to solve the problem they would be critized for leaving people "empty handed". Oh well... Does anyone know the solution to the aeroad problems?? Anything so far??
I think it depends on the likely impact. Personally I'd give a bit more lattitude to a seat post being scratched than the steerer breaking which is always going to result in someone hitting the floor, car, tree, etc,etc, but maybe that's just me.

Canyon issue I think has now been resolved but I've not been really tracking that, I skimmed the thread last week and people seemed to be saying it was moving to a relaunch next month.

Maddie

by Maddie

But the stop ride that was issued by Canyon was because of a broken handlebar, not a scratched seatpost. A broken handlebar can lead to the same crash as a broken steerer. In a situation like this, the manufacturer can only lose as pmprego mentioned. Look at the damage reputation that Canyon got because of a) lack of communicated updates b) customers being without a bike.
So far we haven't seen any damaged or broken steerer directly related to the now outdated compression ring. I also believe this is a precautionary measure.

obviouslyyuu

by obviouslyyuu

Although with the canyon issue, mvdp's dad came out to confirm that he did actually crash that bike before the race which resulted in that broken handlebar.

Note: I could be wrong, pasting my source.
https://www.tellerreport.com/amp/2021-0 ... pnRzO.html

spartacus

by spartacus

obviouslyyuu wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 pm
Although with the canyon issue, mvdp's dad came out to confirm that he did actually crash that bike before the race which resulted in that broken handlebar.

Note: I could be wrong, pasting my source.
https://www.tellerreport.com/amp/2021-0 ... pnRzO.html
The way I understand it, is that canyon doesn't use the shifters normal band clamp, but use (used?) a special shifter mount that can damage the bars in an accident. I believe their solution was to make the bars way stronger, and still use their special shifter mount. (Someone can correct me if wrong).

We can only speculate why canyon did a stop ride right away but specialize didn't. Apparently the venge has a similar compression ring as the recalled tarmac one so maybe the design isn't that bad short of a freak accident?

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Waiting to announce was a calculated risk because consumer blowback from not having replacement parts was deemed to have a greater impact than the potential risk of a fatal accident while replacement parts were being made and distributed.

"..we dont do one"

https://youtu.be/IA2EBWFCULg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

pmprego wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:28 pm
What's the length of the original/stock expander?
44mm
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

expanders are a bandaid. seatposts dont have expanders.