S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks Rhino. I appriciate it. Do you have answers to my other questions?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Cpritch20 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:38 am
dsk28 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:25 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm
dsk28 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:12 am
I purchased it via a local guy who got the frames shipped in from a neighbouring country.
The reason I did not purchase the SL7 locally...
So it's a grey market frame. I wouldn't expect help from the dealer, but hopefully you can order the parts just like any other PN from their spare parts catalog. I was able to order headset bearings, hyd/Di2 grommets, compression ring, DM RD hanger, battery grommet, headset cover, and seat rail clamp for my Venge. Nearly every small part for one reason or another. Got some locally, some from other shops.

Yeah, trying to source the parts is a pain.

Honestly I'm done with Specialized after this, I don't feel secure riding their bikes. With the recall notice, they said they would fix it for all SL7 regardless of where we purchased it from but in reality some local dealers (like ours) won't give it to bikes not purchased through them.

I've a Dogma F on order from the local Pinarello distributor and would probably sell my SL7 once it's fixed.
Like most things right now, I suspect the demand outpaces supply, so I think the shops are just taking care of their known customers first. Once those get completed, and they have "extra" supply, I'll bet they become more receptive to just helping any S bike owner regardless of where you bought it from.
Naturally, the shop wants to take care of "their" customers first.
I think it depends on the shop. I bought my SL7 frame online and had it shipped to me (out of state). Emailed the shop I bought from and they said take it to any local Specialized shop to get the fix. Called my local shop and asked how they were going about this. They said they got half a dozen kits of the parts to fix, but they were all spoken for when I called, so the process was I drop off my bike, they send the info to Specialized, who then send out parts for the fix. Couldn't say how long it would take. I specifically told them I bought the frame elsewhere and they said it doesn't matter where you buy the bike/frame, just go to the nearest shop. He said only 1 of the 6 they were currently working on bought from his shop, the others bought elsewhere. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if most shops cater to those that bought the bikes at that shop. But from what I got told, where you bought doesn't matter. So if you have a few shops to choose from, it may benefit you to call around to see if any of them has parts in stock.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

100% on the Shop.

My shop said Specialized knew how many SL7s they ordered and sent them that many recall parts.

On top of that, since they knew people would bring in Tarmacs not bought from their shop, Specialized told them to contact them for any additional parts and they will send them.

So any shop can reach out to their regional rep/Specialized and get additional sets. They have plenty and it's just your shop being arsholes about it.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

dsk28

by dsk28

*f##k* my local Specialized Store (Indonesia)
I guess ?

fsp15923

by fsp15923

dsk28 wrote:*f##k* my local Specialized Store (Indonesia)
I guess ?
What's prices of SL7 frame in Indonesia?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Anybody have the weight on the new expander plug? The compression ring isn't too bad for weight gain, but the expander looks pretty hefty. Related, other than Extralite, any other light expanders out there that people like? I'm dropping my bike off at the shop today, they don't have an estimated time for the new parts. Kind of bummed.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

46g
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

spartacus

by spartacus

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:29 pm
Anybody have the weight on the new expander plug? The compression ring isn't too bad for weight gain, but the expander looks pretty hefty. Related, other than Extralite, any other light expanders out there that people like? I'm dropping my bike off at the shop today, they don't have an estimated time for the new parts. Kind of bummed.
I dropped mine off on Tuesday and they didn't know if they had the parts or when they would get them. Yesterday I got a text saying it's ready to pick up, so hopefully you won't be waiting long. I guess I'm an a hole lol but I'm absolutely going to pull it apart and make sure they really installed the new parts so maybe I'll weigh the expander (when I pick it up later today).

dsk28

by dsk28

fsp15923 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:20 pm
dsk28 wrote:*f##k* my local Specialized Store (Indonesia)
I guess ?
What's prices of SL7 frame in Indonesia?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

USD 6,050 for SL7 Comp with Sram Rival Gruppo

treyxt

by treyxt

Appointment made for the 26th for me. I'll keep riding in the meantime though.
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

46g?!?! Oof that's a porker.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

ryanw wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:31 pm
46g
That's the expansion plug plus new "nut," correct? Old expander and smaller nut is 28g (?). GC performance weight them both I believe.
Last edited by LBoogie28 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:29 pm
Look at CarbonTi, Schmolke, and JRC (same as Schmolke but cheaper). They are very light but still have a nice knurled surface. Stuff like Extralite, Tune, and EE are a few grams lighter but have a really small grip surface.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:51 pm
I think it depends on the shop. I bought my SL7 frame online and had it shipped to me (out of state).
If you're just talking about different US states, out of state is not the same as out of market (usually done at country or region level). There are many reasons why products become grey market once they cross borders: distributor exclusivity, market pricing variances, service management, tax structures, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com